Congrats to Clarksville High School on hosting

Mat Cat

I agree that the Clarksville folks did another great job hosting the state duals again this year. I do wonder if the attendance for paying fans would be higher if this event were to be held in the Nashville/Murfreesboro area. My feeling is yes it would. I have a question for those in the Nashville/Murfreesboro area. Is there a suitable facility be it a high school or college or any venue that wouldn't be to costly to use for this event in that area? After this weekend I've heard some say that Clarksville's gym is to small and in the past I would agree with that observation, especially Friday nights and then I've heard some say that there were row's of seats available which indicates to me attendance is not where we want it to be. Thats why I think the location of this event should be questioned. Again, it has nothing to do with the fine folks at Clarksville but the geographical location is what I'm questioning. I mean because the host does a great job of hosting this event but numbers are low then do we just keep it there because the host's are nice people? I'm sure that there are plenty of wrestling folks in the Nashville area that would do just as good of job hosting this event as the folks in Clarksville have. It would be interesting to know how this years State Duals compares financially with previous years. Is that information even available to the public?

Sly - Do you feel that moving the location 40 miles into Nashville would make an appreciable difference? A larger venue with bleachers on both sides of the mats would make for a better spectator experience, possibly Austin Peay or the Clarksville convention center? The parking/entrance into the gym was a nice improvement this year. Bayou Bear's suggestions of adding teams to the competition in D1 and adding the small school division would go the farthest in increasing attendance IMHO. I know that they run the D1 and D2 finals concurrently to help folks who are traveling home on Saturday night, but as a wrestling fan I would have liked to have watched both those matches. Ditto on the traditional finals.

Sly - Do you feel that moving the location 40 miles into Nashville would make an appreciable difference? A larger venue with bleachers on both sides of the mats would make for a better spectator experience, possibly Austin Peay or the Clarksville convention center? The parking/entrance into the gym was a nice improvement this year. Bayou Bear's suggestions of adding teams to the competition in D1 and adding the small school division would go the farthest in increasing attendance IMHO. I know that they run the D1 and D2 finals concurrently to help folks who are traveling home on Saturday night, but as a wrestling fan I would have liked to have watched both those matches. Ditto on the traditional finals.

walkenvol, To answer your first question of "Do I think moving it 40mi. into Nashville would make and appreciable difference? Yes I do. I feel it would even be better attended if it were to be moved to the Chattanooga area but I know that won't go because we already host the Traditional tournament. For any business trying to attract patrons location, location, location is one of if not the most important keys to success. I think this would apply to this situation. I think moving the tournament to the other venues in Clarksville would make for a better experience too, however, would it create a financial hardship on this event? I also agree with BayouBears suggestion of adding teams. Again, I don't feel the current location would be large enough to handle the increase in the number of teams. I

also agree that if we could find a way to stagger the finals so we could watch both championships matches would be a good thing.