Perry County's Edney

pantherman

• 4 weeks later...

The most important thing you need to know about Kristal is she is an "A" Honor Roll student with a pleasant but a little shy personality. She is not very comfortable with all this individual publicity. On the court she has a point guard mentality wanting to pass first. Her natural position is at point guard. But for us to win, she is our best shooter and she must shoot or we lose.

The game against Clay County stats for her are 26 points on 40% shooting percentage, 9 rebounds, 4 assists, 0 turnovers, 1 block and 1 steal. This may not have been her best game but it is up there. She is doing it when we need it the most, at the State Tournament against the best competition.

Whether we win the gold ball or not, she will be back 2 more years and we will probably get a few more chances to win it.

She isn't the only really good player on the team. One player cannot get you to the final four at the State Championship level.

Let me start off by saying that Kristal Edney is probably going to be one of the best players, if not the best, in Perry County Lady Viking history. Her, along with teammate Alicia Weatherly, are about at the same skill level currently, but Edney is improving at a much more rapid pace. Each player, however, plays with a different level of emotion. Weatherly is a very intense player with an "up in your face" attitude. She's the type of player that opposing schools, and their fans, love to hate. Edney is the calm and collected player who is both gracious in her victories and her defeats. You just can't help but cheer for this kid. Like I've said earlier, I don't live in Perry Co. anymore but I use to, and I remember watching this kid when she was younger. This kid was not a basketball phenom when she was younger, in fact, she wasn't really even looked at as being all that good. It wasn't until she was in the 8th grade that people really started to look at her as a player that could potentially be great, but even then the only thing she could do on the court was shoot the ball really well from the outside. She went off and played AAU ball at the same place both Weatherly and Rhodes went but was mainly in the shadows of the better developed girls from Lobelville. It was actually this summer, that she really started to develop as a player. If PC fans will remember back to last year, Edney could barely dribble the ball (or pass it for that matter) without turning it over, let alone take it in traffic and make those unbelievable shots or passes that she makes now. She has not only increased those aspects, but she has increased her speed and jumping ability to a point that is way beyond any player in District 12A. This newly increased level in athleticism has made her one of the most feared defensive players in the midstate area with her lightning fast hands and great instincts.

I most definitely believe that If the Lady Vikings do not get their gold ball this year, they will within the next two. Edney is only a sophomore (as is Weatherly and Rhodes), and she is poised to do great things for a program that has never been known for girl's basketball. She is laying the groundwork for the future of Perry Co. Lady Viking basketball, which I will go ahead and warn all of you, is a very bright future with some of the stars they got coming up through the elementary and middle school levels. She got shafted this year for 12A MVP, and while awards mean nothing to this young lady, you can be sure that her time is coming, and it may be coming as soon as this Saturday.

Edney might be good, and she might work hard. But I know she did not get shafted for the MVP. Megan Corbin deserved this award fair and square. No one works as hard as she does on both ends of the court. She is the best all around player in 12A. She can play anywhere on the floor. She is a great leader, and deserves this award. Edney still has two years to prove herself.

Congrats Megan on a great season!