Greeneville

gvdevils

"I may be wrong they have won 11 in a row. I don't think you really understand how hard it is to win games. "

At what price is a win? I think that it becomes "hard" when you have to deal with the stuff that has nothing to do basketball. And that's present in every program but somethings just shouldn't be accepted and tolerated just "to win ballgames".

I hope I'm wrong, but I think Thursday may be a test of wills. Good luck Lady Devils, play like you are capable of.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe Greenville is still one of the best teams in the east. Proablly the only thing wrong is the parents. Someone is always unhappy about playing time. Greenville should pay more attention to Jefferson County. The lady patriots handled Morristown West very easily. These girls seem to be on a role. Don't put your money to quicky on Daniel Boone and Greenville for the substate!

ddw

I would agree with everything that you stated with the exception of the part about parents. I, as well as others are not parents of these girls, only interested basketball fans and supporters of Greeneville sports. And I support those who on and off the court deserve to represent my high school, and that means more than just athleticism.

At what price is a win?  I think that it becomes "hard" when you have to deal with the stuff that has nothing to do basketball.  And that's present in every program but somethings just shouldn't be accepted and tolerated just "to win ballgames".

I wish you would quit being so vague about what you perceive the problem to be with this team. If you expect to get a group of teenage girls together and not have conflict then you obviously live in fantasyland. There is nearly always a glory hound, a drama queen, a party girl, a whiner, and sometimes a bully in every peer group. Fortunately, by the time they are 16 or so most of them either out grow it or learn to deal with it.

I don't know what thing is so "hard" to deal with. Maybe you could explain. Exactly what is the nature of this "attitude problem" and what advice could you offer Burkey on how to deal with it that his years of experience hasn't already taught him.

Edited by barb

barb

You're right, teenagers will be teenagers, but there is also right and wrong, and teenagers should be taught this, and hopefully before they are teenagers. Even with that, good teams seem to overcome this and it is obvious. Sevier County, Jeff County, South Greene, Morristown West, Daniel Boone and even not so successful programs, have respect for their coach and each other. The back biting, foul language and down right contempt for authority may go on in these programs but it is not obvious between the lines on game night like it is here. And if it is in front of a crowd on game night, it must be present all the time.

My advice, no more double standards. Demand respect. Don't drive the whole group to a lesser standard, rather strive for the ethical code of conduct to be raised by everyone. These are the things that you must do, winning games comes as a result.

Let me add a little here. I have seen the lady devils play several times this year and I agree, Coach Burkey is not in complete control. There are 2 people on the team that have no respect for his authority. At the Science Hill game one of them sat behind the Greeneville Boys and made a scene rooting and cheering for Science Hill. You can see it during time outs. No respect. I don't care myself. I don't cheer for Greeneville I am just telling what I have noticed. Coach Burkey is a fine coach but someething needs to be done.

i'm gonna throw my two cents into this subject because i've seen it first hand on that team. a very talented player (no names mentioned) has shown disrespect, contempt, horrible attitude, constant foul language and she hasn't shown any submission to her coach or respect for her teammates. i'm really dissapointed considering what she could be, and how she is doing. and hasn't she quit the team 3 times already, just to be welcomed back. correct me if i'm wrong, but i would kick her to the curb before i would tolerate and ill-mannered selfish player on my team making complications

Johnny

Do you still see this as a fine team if that person is no longer part of the team? That's the issue. I for one don't see a huge drop off in the performance and success of the team if that happened. In fact I think that everyone would be surprised at what the end result would be. It might not even have to come to that if delt with properly. There's atleast three avenues to take: eliminate, tolerate/ignore or propagate/take over. So far the last option has been the norm, and it has been distracting and destructive.

Burkey must see something salvagable in the girl if she is still around, however it seems lately she spends as much time on the bench as she does in the game. I have seen a bit of improvement in her game this season, but your right about her attitude. She has been an integral part of Burkey's offense this season and has contributed greatly to this team. Is this a better team without her? Certainly not any worse. But like it or not, she is part of the team and her absence would be felt on some level. Maybe Burkey can tame her before next year cause this team will need her height since McKnight will be graduating.

Based on everyone's assessment here, then wouldn't you think that this year would have been the year to address this issue? Then, if fixed, next year could be another very successful year as well? Instead, it's been more the other way. Ignore, put up with, to the point of giving in. And it's had it's affects on all the other players, some that will be back next year and some that are not. That's my point.