SCOTT CO GIRLS

diamond7

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those coaches listed are all good coaches, if in fact Scott County is looking for a new coach, but I think that you are forgetting about a great coach that Scott County let get away, Chad Marcum. He is a disciplinarian and has shown that he knows how to make his team winners. He turned around the Huntsville boys team, then was asked to turn around the fortunes of the Huntsville girls team. All he did was make them contenders for the County crown year in and year out, and they let him go. Then, he came to Wartburg and made their girls program contenders for the state title, with lesser talent against bigger schools, and won a state title while there. He is a coach with integrity and determination. His passion for winning is second only to his passion to make his players the best they can be, on and off the court. In today's society, that means as much as all the rest. His shot at a high school post is long overdue. He is already recieving offers from other schools and I think that it would be a travesty to lose him twice.

Phil Newport is a very good coach, obviously, but I don't believe Scott will go to Oneida to bring someone in right now. That tends to not sit very well with parents and fans from the county, and Mike Davis is fighting for his job. I imagine that a decision will probably be made on who the director of schools will be well before it is time to put a new girls coach in place, if in fact Nancy isn't coming back. My guess is that the new director (assuming Mike Davis doesn't come back) is going to be someone from within the system already. You can bet they won't be wanting to ruffle any feathers by hiring someone from within the Oneida system.

Coach Kries is very capable also.

Coach Yaden, it's just a matter of time until he is a coach at the high school level. I think this job is taylor-made for him. We'll see, I guess.

tigersfan, I don't think there has been any talk of firing her or at least not retaining her as coach. . . I think speculation is that she won't return by her own decision. The effort has been there for the girls this year but they struggled a lot, obviously. You're right, Scott has a pretty good tradition in girls' basketball and it hurts to see them 0-10 in the district. But when you look back at what they did accomplish this year, the effort was there on almost every single night. I think they will be back, whether or not Nancy Branim is back as coach.

I believe she was an assistant somewhere before coming back to Scott High, but I'm not sure where. Of course she was a standout player at Scott in the early 1990s.

I noticed some responses to the other coaches mentioned, but with Chad Marcum and Ryan Keeton there weren't any responses. I haven't heard from Coach Marcum in a couple of years or even know that he would be interested, but I do know that he has moved back into the area. His record and experience speak for themselves.

There's no doubting that team's effort! They finished 0-10 in the district but were only really out of one game, and that was the first game against O.S. I think they were beat by 93-29 or something like that.

Heck, they came within single-digits of beating O.S. the second time, the only team in district to get closer than I think 19 points. . .

I just know that Coach Marcum's teams come out and perform. Plain and simple. Maybe there are reasons, like looking to better himself as a coach. He earns the team's respect and he wins with every team he has coached. If you have ever seen one of his teams play, you know they have an intensity and a confidence that is most times unmatched. He knows the game and the kids not only respect him, they want to win. They have a confidence about them.