Top TN "Class of 2004" Catchers

HiwasseeVol

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I had my say on the Top SS list, so I might as well throw in my opinions/thoughts on this thread about Top Catchers. And believe or not I am not going to be partial towards a certain LMU signee.

But thinking about Scott Dean and how well he did in the chances he got at the beginning of the year when Michael McKenry was hurt makes you think he will do real well this year. I recall 3 2Bs game against a certain 3AAA team that goes by the name of Beavers. It was just too bad Coach Pharr did not have another place in the lineup to keep him in that grove. It was too bad that Scott had to play behind the best catcher in the state for 3 years. But that brings me to my next point about Alex Watson, as I see he is high on the list, as he should be. HE is a great player, I have seen him in the summer a few times and watched him at Spring Fling in Memphis. But when he signed with MTSU it seems like he will fall into the same place that Scott did at Farragut, that is playing behind McKenry who has already seen time in the first few games of the season and will fall right behind the plate sometime this year and if not for sure next year. Does Alex play any other positions? Bubba Herbold I would think would do the same thing behind John Weddle and whoever else ETSU has. I do not know all the deciding factors in these players minds but would you not take into consideration who is infront of you, etc?

Now onto the #1 catcher on the list, Chris Kirkland. I would say the most impressive things about him is the physical change his body has taken since his freshman year, and seeing him pitch this summer and hit 90-91mph. We all know his calling is receiving those hard fastballs but how much do you think South Doyle will use him as a pitcher this year, as they already have a few good arms.

Here is my personal opinion about the kid, and I will not try to take anything away from him. I have seen that cannon you could say he has for a right arm, but I think it often shown off causing an wild throw here and there.(McKenry had the same problem there for a while, as the phrase "easy there turbo" had to be used often when he threw) His blocking ability is amazing, footwork as well(watch and see if it doesnt look like he is looking down at his feet on almost every throw to second) but I think more quality throws, a little less velocity could be the key to his success. But he has made a name for himself and that alone will keep a lot of coaches from trying to steal on him, which is much credit to him. I do not know much about his hitting so I will leave that alone.

All thoughts welcome, even if it is in total disagreement with me.

Edited by FightinAnchor15

FROM A RAW ABILITY STANDPOINT, PICKETT FROM WHITE HOUSE IS VERY IMPRESSIVE. THERE IS NO QUESTION ABOUT HIS ABILITY, IT IS A MATTER OF WHETHER HE WANTS TO TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS OFF THE FIELD AND IN THE CLASSROOM. WITHOUT COACH MILLS, NO TELLING WHERE HE WOULD BE.

THE WATSON KID IS OUTSTANDING AS WELL. I HAVE SEEN HIM ON MANY OCCASIONS.

Mt. Pleasant High School's Senior Catcher Andrew Scharrer has to

be on this list, he has all the tools and the HEART to play at the next

level. All I can say is come see him play. :lol:

Sure glad you got Andrew's name in the mix, Hatchet! Andrew is a awesome kid with loads of talent AND a great attitude. I invite anyone that can attend a game to come watch him play! :lol:

Edited by TigerMoM1