NO RESPECT!

TigerFan24

The small christian school can't recruit, so therefore they have no advantage.

All private schools recruit else they would have no students. They just don't give scholarships. Private schools offer potential customers something better. That's recruiting. It's no different than a television commercial advertising a product being better than the competition.

CPA has no one on the team that lived an hour or two away and moved to nashville just to go to CPA. It doesn't work that way.

Of that, I have no doubt. But what kind of kids DO go to CPA? Average? Under-acheivers? Kids that couldn't make it at other schools? No. You get kids from backgrounds where parents push their kids to do well for themselves (AND GOOD FOR THEM!!!!!). On average, you probably get a better level of student than most public schools. If you DIDN'T, how do you stay in business? :blink:

Now for BA and MBA, that kinda thing does happen. so if you wanna talk about unfair, put us in a division with BA and MBA.

Huh? Complaining about an unlevel playing field now? ;) That's how a lot of Single A public school students feel, too.

But i guarentee you that we wouldnt whine and moan about it like the public schools are doing right now. We would take it and live with it.

To late. You just did. ;)

i still believe that the whole argument is really not over public vs. private but rural vs. metro.

Sort of. The argument is mainly over student pool as you've pointed out.

Look at it this way. Take a random number of 5000 students ANYWHERE out of Tennessee. Select one group of 150 COMPLETELY random students and make a school. Take the remainder and sort them for high grades. Then sort them for economic class. Take 150 out of the top 1000 (only 15%) and make a school. Who would you say has the better chance of being successful in ANY endeavor scholastic or athletic? That's the crux of the argument.

The metro/rural argument sounds good, but it falls apart when you put names to faces. How many of the Memphis Metro Single A teams made the tournament? None. Well, there's only one. Now, how many of the Memphis triple A teams have done well . . . every year? Basically, in a metro area, there are little or no Single A teams to throw into the equation, so you can't argue rural versus metro because only in Single A private v.s. public do they clash regularly.

It's like saying the rural triple A teams in East Tennessee and Middle Tennessee don't do well, either, because there are none.

As far as kids being in CPA since they were young, that doesn't affect the argument of advantage at all. What you're saying is that CPA's student pool has been pushed and challenged to acheive EVEN LONGER than some other private high schools. Basically, they've been exposed to an environment of performance, and they are used to performing.

And you are wrong some parents do think their children are going to be star atheltes at early ages, and they put them into the best place they have a chance to suceed. Which would be a private school. Not all parents, just some.

I'll agree with this, but it's more the exception than the rule.

Edited by math man

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another example of Private schools having the advantage. Rockwood's baseball team has went to state 4 out of the last 5 years. Every year Rockwood has been put out of state by a Priave school in the 1st round. Expect last year where Rockwood finally sent a private school home, before getting sent home by a private school. LOL, and every year Rockwood is usually the only public school in the Single A tourny. With again the expection of last year where there was 1 more public school. The point of all this talk is, I can't remember the last time a Public school won the Single A tourny in baseball, well I remember who it is just not when. :blink: