RHS vs. CPA

thekid03

your example was not accurate, as i have said, because, at least at CPA, the school's ambition is not to have the "smartest" kids (or the most athletic)

Ah, but you have standards both in religion and financial status. So you ARE selective. Regardless of NATURE of criteria, you have them. Public schools don't.

Once again, where is my statement inaccurate.

all of this i am saying about CPA is not necessarily the norm... but i was drawing a contrast between the DII schools and the DI schools -- they have very different goals, philosophies, and policies.

And we agree there, whole-heartedly. However, the direction of the discussion was Single A private and public and not D2 v.s. D1

the key phrase was "inner-city"... i don't think anyone cares about race -- they shouldn't at least.

Race doesn't matter. Even if it did, we'd be precluded from discussing it, so let's both run away QUICKLY from that one! LOL!

On the other hand, socio-economic factors DO matter, and the fact that a D1 private school precludes those who can't meet financial obligations puts them in an advantageous position over public schools that are mandated to take anyone and everyone (as it SHOULD be for a public school).

also i believe the school has given (gives) need-based financial aid to a VERY small number of students (like less than 5). these students are obviously not allowed to participate on a varsity team.

So this has no bearing on the argument other than to say the schools are interested in getting GOOD students. Therefore, the bar is raised in private schools once again . . . and lowered for public schools because you removed a good student from THEIR pool.

a lot of other people i know of at various schools are having their tuition paid in full or in part by grandparents or some other friend who is willing to support them.

But, regardless of source, the students have the choice to got to private or public. Not everyone has that choice, and they go to public. Once again, you strengthen my case that people who are inclined to accel and have resources choose private schools.

there are the very rich at CPA, but there are also people who struggle financially. (once again at CPA... but i wouldn't doubt that things are similar elsewhere.)

I'm sure that there are families struggling financially TO SEND THEIR KIDS TO SCHOOL. I seriously doubt that there are families using food stamp money or welfare to pay CPA's tuition. Basically, no one is going hungry to go to school. If they ARE, that's irresponsible since public schools are free.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was pointing out that for whatever reason, mathman seems to think that the playing ground would be more level if CPA bused in "inner-city blacks." i was trying to say that while Rockwood takes what it has in the town, i suspect that there is not exactly a group of people quite like the inner-city folks he is talking about in nashville. i mean, Rockwood probably doesn't even qualify as a city (no offense or anything... i'm not meaning anything bad by that) -- i just don't know what kind of comparison that was to rural public schools.

"So this has no bearing on the argument other than to say the schools are interested in getting GOOD students. Therefore, the bar is raised in private schools once again . . . and lowered for public schools because you removed a good student from THEIR pool."

no no no... you clearly haven't gotten the point. and that's ok -- i think i'm about done with this argument for now. any aid that CPA gives is strictly a ministry of the church which operates the school. the bottom line is that CPA ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT attempt to enroll the best students. this aid that i mentioned had nothing to do with raising the bar and everything to do with showing that the school has made allowances for struggling families.

i was pointing out that for whatever reason, mathman seems to think that the playing ground would be more level if CPA bused in "inner-city blacks."

Not at all! ;) What I'm saying is that you aren't MANDATED to take ANYONE. Public schools are. Please don't read into my posts things that aren't there or meant to be there.

i just don't know what kind of comparison that was to rural public schools.

It wasn't meant as one. It was meant to show that ANY private school has criteria and a selection process. Public schools don't. They take anyone and everyone that wants to come REGARDLESS of performance level.

NO matter how you twist and turn the evaluation, there's no escaping the selectivity issue.

ok sorry i misunderstood... i don't know all the specifics about our inner workings as to the aid deal. and yes the selectivity issue exists, but it does not directly benefit any athletic teams at all. the only argument i can see is that the kids at the privates pretty much ALL come from some kind of a family background which supports development.