Cumberland County

BBALLTN

ok, three seniors that could be college bound and her record still stinks the last 2 years. She can't coach or improve talent. Just my opinon, but this conversation is irrelevant because she is not the coach anymore and someone will have a chance to see if they can do any better.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a very interested candidate for this job. I am from East Tennessee originally and am looking to relocate back to that area. I have endorsements in Science and Physical Education. Is the good ol boy system in place or will they look for an energetic young coach that will work extremely hard and build a successful program.

Is Neal Capps still at Cumberland County? I played ball with him at Roane State Community College in 94'95'. Crossville is the central location between my parents and my wife's parents. Coaching there would be an ideal situation for me and my family. I can assure you that I would not be outworked and pride myself on teaching fundamental player development as well as representing the Community to the highest degree.

bballtn , I made a phone call to find out about the great players that transferred.Now my friend never said they were great in our previous conversation but there were 2 girls that transferred to Clarkrange, I think they won a state title this year and another transferred to Cookeville who beat Crossville. As for teams in the region, the last time I checked, Shelbyville was not in the same region as Cumberland Co. You listed teams with good records and Cumberland Co was not one of those teams and as we all know it is about wins and losses no matter what anybody says. When people look at your past record it is about championships and winning. If a team has no talent and plays bad then it is understandable but I was told that is not the situation. Just look what difference Bill Parcels made on the Dallas Cowboys, same talent as the year before and they are winning. Sometimes change is good, but who cares, they are getting a new coach and i guess we will see if it was the right call or not.

Yes Clarkrange did win the state,but my daughter is on the team,and I was not aware that any of Clarkranges girls had transfered from Crossville.All of the lady buffaloes have went to school there for a while.

I am totally amazed at the misinformation and flat out lies that swami and some of these others have stated here. In fact, I am amazed that some of these people have enough sense to turn on computer and type a message! For the record, I personally know coach B and hope and pray my daughter gets to play for her someday! Coach B played at Pine View then moved on and played four years for CCHS and then played at Roane State and then was an assistant and eventually head coach at Rockwood before going home to CCHS. I hope that lie is now put to death. Its as plain as the nose on your face that Hodge and Van Winkle want daughter Van Winkle to have the job. Their excuse for replacing her was her record. If thats the fact, then coach Wattenbarger should be fired as well. His overall record is below .500 for his career! And how many playoff games has the he taken the football team to? In fact, how many substate appearances has coach Buck taken the boys team to? The good ole boy system is in place and the fix is in. Wake up and smell the coffee!!!! Fire the woman coach that had gone to three substates in the last five years and made the men coaches look bad! CAN YOU SAY LAWSUIT? By the way, coach B has a relative that is an outstanding quarterback in football who lead his middle school to a state championship and then his baskeball team to the middle school sectionals and was leading scorer and all district in both sports. He also is the top pitcher on the best 14 yr competitive baseball team in the state. His family just recently sold their house and are moving to Cumberland County, but after what has happened to coach B, I wouldnt expect to see him play for the Jets! Hmmm, just another good athelete that is going somewhere other that CCHS! You gonna blame that on Coach B also?

Edited by tigerqb

After doing a little more checking I have discovered that my last post contained an inaccuracy and in the sense of fair play let me correct it. Coach B's relative has not yet sold their house and are not yet moving to Cumberland County. Don't want to spread false rumors as the habit of some on here are!

I just want to tell you my opinion since that seems to be what everyone else is doing. CCHS would not release someone because of their record. They would release them because they aren't helping their players reach maximum potential. Other coaches may not have the best record but they may be doing the best with what talent is on their team. From what I understand, Coach B. may have taken her team to sub state but that doesn't mean that she has challenged her players to make them capable of playing with their full potential. That is what is really important. Challenging the kids so they can grow and learn. Sure winning is great but, shouldn't you be teaching the kids fundamentals and helping them grow and see what they are capable of?

So replace an experienced coach with a homer that has absolutely no coaching experience and that will fix all these problems. I'm saying that it sounds like neither of the two will be a solution the solution. Politics almost always fails in sports and until everyone realizes it, mistakes will continue to be made.

As a coach myself, you always hate to see one of your own get hurt. My heart goes out to the coach removed against her will. Of course, that is how things go sometimes. I don't know anything about the situation, but from some of the posts on here it seems like it is very much up in the air. Will there be alot of interest in this job? I have seen Cumb. Co's salary schedule, and can't imagine that too many experienced coaches would apply - most would take a significant pay cut. As far as any inside hiring goes, isn't CCHS getting a new principal? Won't that play a part in things? Just wondering what the interest level will be in this position.

Tough decisions have to be made and tough people make tough decisions. All progress has resulted from people who have taken unpopular position. You will never please everyone all the time. Someone always disagrees. As tough as this decision was, it is best for the kids. AB is a good person and a good math teacher but she has not brought the basketball to a competitive level. The team lost 5 out of their last 7 games. The two they won were against teams with poor records. The girls were not prepared for this level of play. This was not about a won/lost record but rather the direction of the program. Nor was this a personal attack against AB. Speculation and personal attack against individuals will not solve any problems.