Cumberland County

BBALLTN

I hope for her sake that she can, if you look back in one of the earlier posts you will find this:

If these girls stay together and work as a team with the new coach (whoever that turns out to be), District 5AAA and Region 3AAA should be theirs for the taking next year

Looks like the annointed one will have some high expectations to live up to! If she doesnt win District 5AAA and Region 3AAA next year like some of your fans expect, she may need some guidance counseling of her own! A persons profession doesnt make them a good coach (or even a coaching candidate) no more than if they were a former all star player! How can anyone bet the farm on a unproven and inexperienced individual? For CCHS's sake I hope that they dont throw a rookie coach into the deep water without a life vest especially with fans expecting to win it all next year!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tigergb, I think the fans should expect to "win it all" every year. That is part of the game of basketball. I also don't think the fans were the only ones the last couple of years that expected the CC girls to do better than they did. Check the preseason District 5AAA rankings. I think last year CC was picked 1st and this year they were picked to finish 2nd.

Jetfan, here is an old sports saying for you.....and I suggest that you guys learn it and it may help you more clearly view your teams and maybe give your new coach a more fair treatment than Coach B got:

Games arent won on paper, they are won on the field of competition!

There are a million examples I can list in both high school, college and pro sports where teams were picked to be cant miss champions but still didnt win. But I will spare everyone the details. If you want to know one, just ask. But the point is, no one knows who will win a game or a championship till its actually played. I had the priviledge of going to MTSU and watching my team compete in the state tournament this year and we were beaten by a team (CPA) that looked to me like the best team I had seen all year. In fact, after seeing them play and seeing Halls and the other favorites go down in flames everyone pretty much thought that the trophy was going to CPA. But guess what? They were upset and went home without the trophy! The opinion of the fans didnt make them state champs, the winner of the final game (Unaka) was crowned state champion. Preseason polls arent worth the paper they are written on. Try to understand that. Your new coach/guidance counselor would appreciate it!

Tigerqb, I have probably watched as many basketball games as you and trust me I know where games are won or lost. You obviously are not from Cumberland County and don't know the people involved in this situation personally. I am and I do and you can trust me again when I say no one has been treated unfairly.

Guest GoJets#1

Amen tigerqb, if more fans would support their teams and especially their coaches their wouldnt be a need for posts like this. First of all, coaches in high schools arent professionals, they work for nothing if you consider the hours they put in and the wimpy pay they get. Also, and this is most important, coaches are teachers in the classroom! They mold our childrens minds, they educate them! Goodness gracious what is the deal with firing a teacher that was giving 100% to her kids and her students. You arent only losing a coach, you are losing a very good math teacher. I guess the education of the students isnt as important as the won/loss record of the girls basketball team at Cumberland County!

I have read with interest all the posts both for and against the firing of Coach B and its plain and simple that the administation is more interested in hiring a daughter than teaching kids in the classroom and on the basketball court. But politics is politics and the lady jets have never won a state title and at this rate never will. I just get tired of reading all these lies about player development and progress and won/loss records. Why dont someone at CCHS just come out and admit the truth, you want to hire Van Winkles daughter and thats it. Is there anyone there that has the intestinal fortitude (that means guts for you principals and ADs) to just come out and tell the truth?

I am a lifelong jet fan but this mess has put a sour taste in my mouth. Here is a suggestion, keep Coach B, hire Van Winkles daughter and make her an assistant and give her the beginning experience that all coaches need. From what I hear, its pretty much a done deal that they are going to build a second high school, so move one of the coaches to the new school and let the other stay at CCHS. That way both ladies get to coach and they can settle it on the floor in the future. By the way, I imagine their will be a tremendous rivalry growing in the future when both schools are up and running! As a side note, does anyone know how dividing into two schools will affect the classifications and teams we will be playing against?

One more thing, I would like to second that motion about Rockwood. I have a distant relative that plays for them and actually got to see a couple games late in the season. Those young players showed alot of spunk and potential last year and I look for coach Allen to take them places in the next couple of years. So go lady tigers and go Jets! And hopefully the CCHS administration will come to there senses. Althought I have to say, they have really embarassed the school and the town.

I said I was done with this,but after these comments I will say this I talked personally with 3 diffrent parents yesterday and they wont Amy to fight this and all think she is a great Coach and person for their children and all are either Freshman or Sophmores. With that being said not everyone is not against you Amy and I hope the best for you... :D and yes Jetfan someone has been treated unfairly,I would guess you are one of those parents whove cried foul my child not playing enough. When you send a person a letter in the mail youre fired and wont even meet with her face to face I would say thats unfair. I hope all of those parents that support Amy will go see your Principal and Super of Schools and voice your opinion its not done until they hire someone else...

BBallTn, i agree and i am glad to hear that there are people supporting Coach B. And I agree jetfan is definitely one of the two or three disgruntled parents that obviously have an axe to grind and arent representative of all fans. But then again, maybe jetfan is smarter than the rest of us. He or she doesnt know me, never has talked to me (or have you) and yet has the ability to say this:

Tigerqb, I have probably watched as many basketball games as you and trust me I know where games are won or lost. You obviously are not from Cumberland County and don't know the people involved in this situation personally. I am and I do and you can trust me again when I say no one has been treated unfairly

Jetfan how many games have I watched in my lifetime (inquiring minds want to know)? I honestly dont know myself, but if you can tell me I will start keeping track in the future! I think it would be cool to keep up, so tell me please. I just hope your count is more accurate than your posts. For your information, I was born and raised in Cumberland County! So you missed that one. Also, I know the people involved in the situation! So you missed that one too. I would suggest you quit making predictions while you are ahead.

I just want to encourage REAL Jet fans to support your coach. This whole topic is getting a little boring, and I have a High School baseball championship to watch my team pursue so I like you BBallTN dont plan on doing anymore posts unless something really important happens.

One more final word. GoJets#1 is it really a done deal that they are building a second high school? That looks to me like more coaching and teaching jobs. If so I agree with you, why not keep them both. But that would be the sensible thing to do and firing a coach goes to the substate 3 out of 5 years isnt sensible!

tigerqb, Please accept my apology for the wrong assumptions about you. To set the record straight, I am not a disgruntled parent. I am a REAL Jet fan who not only supports the coaches, but also supports the administration whether or not I agree with their decisions. This will also be my last post on this thread. I also want to say that I think Amy is a great teacher. There has never been a coaching change at CCHS without controversy and there probably never will be. One thing we can all be sure of is that there will be a Lady Jet basketball team next year and they will have a coach. Whether the change turns out to be for the better, we will have to wait and see. Another thing you can be sure of is that I will support them whether I agree with everything the new coach does or not.

Guest GoJets#1
Mark Whatenbarger 18-14 (.777)

Mike Buck 52-39 (.711)

Amy Brazil 39-62 (.371)

Pardon my ignorance but your math doesnt compute according to how I figure it! Take each one separately:

Wattenbarger 18-14 means he won 18 out of 32 games and 18 divided by 32 equals .563 according to my calculator.

Buck at 52-39 would be 52 wins out of 91 games which is 52 divided by 91 and that equals .571 according to my calculator.

Brazil (spelled wrong genius it is Breazeale by the way) 39-62 which is 39 wins out of 101 games and is 39 divided by 101 and my calculator says that is .386.

So if your records are correct, I calculate the following:

Wattenbarger 18-14 (.563)

Buck 52-39 (.571)

Breazeale 39-62 (.386)

Looks like taking only those 3 years worth of data shows that there is only .185 percentage points difference between Buck and Breazeale's records and only .177 percentage points difference between Wattenbarger and Breazeale's records!

Now I wonder why you only went back 3 years. Everyone keeps saying that Coach B took the team to 3 substates in 5 yrs. Could it be that going back farther improves her record and lowers the others?

Edited by GoJets#1

Guest GoJets#1

We can only hope that Amy didnt teach jetfan2 in math!

While we are on the subject of won/loss records, I think it is only fair to also note that one and maybe two of the lady jet losses came in the substate. Now it is my understanding that the boys havent been to the substate in the last 3 yrs. If that is the case, how can you consider one or two substate losses as a negative when it is a major accomplishment to get that far? Do you penalize a coach for losing in the substate and praise a boys team that isnt good enough to get into the substate and have a chance to lose another game? I think that is an interesting question to consider. Also, if my information is correct, Shelbyville is the team that eliminated the lady jets in the substate and went on to win the state championship. I see no shame in losing to the best team in AAA! Did the boys team lose a game to the state champion boys team in AAA? If not then it doesn't appear that they had quite as tough a schedule. Also, the boys lost in the district and didnt advance to the region. Once again, do you penalize the girls coach for advancing on to tougher competition in the region and count a region tournament loss as a negative and then praise a boys team for a 20-8 final record that included no regional tournament games (and therefore no region losses)? I personally would rather have seen the boys final record at 21-9, meaning they won a district game and at least went to the region and played at least one game. But that is only me!