Four Classifications

Gerry Bertier

Here is my opinion on the subject, I think there should be four classifications as well, but instead of having eight teams making it to the Boro, have only four and make the tourney double elimination. This will be a unique twist to the tourney as teams that have an off night will be able to redeem themselves. Currently there are 21 games played over four days. With my plan there would at least be 18 games played and if the team from the loser bracket beats the winners bracket team then they play the next day. I think this format would be quite interesting and would still allow the TSSAA to make money.

I would make these the classifications

A- (0- 400) This classification would basically stay the same.

AA- (401-850) Would open up the doors for teams like MLK, Alcoa, and McMinn Central to have a legit shot at the title.

AAA-(851-1200) Could you imagine having Bolivar, Southside, Raliegh Egypt with Wilson Central and Clinton.

AAAA- ( 1201 and up)- This division will always be competitive.

I think this plan will benefit all schools and will add even more excitement to the State Tourney. It also would still allow the TSSAA to make money. For everyone that says that there isn't a difference from 500 student to 900, you must be mistaken. In those four hundred students may be a Jamont Gordon, Tyler Smith, Delk Twins, Brian Lake, Willie Kemp, or Travis Sikes. Someone who can change the whole outcome of the game or make of the team.

If you noticed who won the titles this past weekend, you will notice all of them were in the top half of enrollement numbers in their classification.

Unaka 343 3rd in enrollment 18 students below Halls

Bolivar 859 4th in enrollment 131 students below Haywood

White Station 2nd in enrollment behind the massive school of Bradley Central.

Any thoughts?

thats a fairly good idea, i would support it but let me add a twist to it also

Indiana HSAA in 1999 & 2000 did this when they switched to 4 classes, after each team won their respective State Title, they played again 1 week later in Indianapolis in a 4 team tourney 1A vs. 2A & 3A vs. 4A to determin who is the IHSAA STATE Champion, this could work if we ever decided to switch to a 4 class system in Division I. or we can still do it like so 1A vs. 2A & 3A vs. Div II, then the winners face eachother the next day as also a consolation game to precede it.

Now i have gotten figures and done stuff like this before but it will be hard to re-draw the districts in certain areas when you reclassify as you wish to, especialy if you take all the Private Schools and either move them to 2A or Div II, then you end up with districts of only 4 or 5 teams in them, but if the TSSAA can make it work, all the power to them.

And Before anyone says it NO to the Mono-Class System, been there done that, i think we need to stay at least with the system we are in, we are a big enough state to where we need to pair off teams of equal tallent in classes and have them face eachother for a state title. Eventhough i admit the Famous "Hoosiers" movie comes to mind when thinking of the mono-class system and the Milan Miricle when the Milan Indians(aprox. 120 students, mostly Girls) beat Muncie Central Bearkats(aprox. 1400 students), but remember the game was different then, rules a little different, different circumstances, back then they would throw up shots from half court after taking maybe 2 dribbles; nowadays the game has evolved into a more street style of game, at least it has in the Tri-Lakes area and that probably couldnt happen again. So i think we need to stay with this system that we have or go to a 4 class system with Div II on the side; i know i'm probbably gonna get flamed for this like i did when i gave the report on the Tompkinsville vs. PCHS game but go ahead if you want, i can take it, remember this is only someone's educated opinion.

N.J.

The reason you dont have a best of three series is because it would stretch out the tourney. With my plan it would take the same amount of time. With the TSSAA implementing the multiplier rule in 2005 this system would be fair. I also like the idea of the next weekend having a Final Four with four state championship winners against each other. They could have the girls and boys final four on the same weekend. I think this would benefit all schools and wouldn't hurt the game but it would help it out and add some excitement to the game. The TSSAA is going to have to redistrict when the implement the multliplier so changing the classification system would not be hard. I would love to see this plan taken into affect.

Double elimination at the state tournament is a bad idea. In fact, the entire tournament, from the district level on up, should be a one and done tournament. Right now, a team can loose up to three games in district and region competition and still win a state title. To me, this is just not right under any circumstances.

Double elimination at the state tournament is a bad idea. In fact, the entire tournament, from the district level on up, should be a one and done tournament. Right now, a team can loose up to three games in district and region competition and still win a state title. To me, this is just not right under any circumstances.

Why is double elimination not right? Because it will more than likely allow the best teams to be in the tourney. I thought that was the whole point of being a state champion, being the best in the state at your classification. But you rather the state championship be the team who goes on a lucky run at the end of the year, any team could do that. The season is a marathon and not a sprint. Rewardteams that play good basketball from November to February, not those who start getting good in February. Imagine if the NCAA only took the conference champions because all the other teams lost in their conferences. No Duke, Syracuse, Mississppi St., Pittsburgh, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech and so on. The NCAA rewards for the long haul. So should the TSSAA.