Pickel, Pugh, and Brown ?

CoachSH

Tophat, I was thinking the same thing myself! I was a walk-on (not in basketball) at UTC in tennis and my first year i just practiced with the team. The next year, someone graduated early and I filled the spot. I ended up with a scholarship and a southern conference championship. Because I wasn't the number #1 player at my high school college coaches didn't considered me.

This might be feasible for someone who could afford to pay one year at UTC (Which is reasonable compared to other colleges) Good thought.

Edited by lesbearcat

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You all are absolutely right. None of these guys except Hare could play at the D1 level. They are lucky to be getting the scholarships they are getting!!!!! Bradley only had one D1 player the past two years and he is the reason why they have won 100 games. Sorry I even pretended to think that Pickel or Pugh were even close to being that good. How crazy of me!!!

You don't seem to appreciate the talent level that Division I requires. Very few guards at that level weren't the very best in HS. Pickel, Pugh, etc., were very good from what I've heard, but you have to be a really, really special athlete to make it in Division I. I haven't seen them play, so I can't tell you whether I think they are D-I or not, but don't jump to the conclusion that something's wrong because you "only" have one D-I talent. A lot of teams wish they had one.

As for the character thing earlier, most college coaches do consider character. They consider keeping their jobs more important, which means making talent the main factor, but they certainly will take a good-character kid over an equally-talented one who's been in and out of jail, if they have the choice.

THose guys at Bradley Central are GREAT players!

UNFORTUNATLEY---the only one with D-1 potential is Hare.....and Belmont is a good fit for him....level wise and system wise. Pickel and Pugh are BOTH very talented players---but to suggest a school take them simply because they are 'local' guys with class acts----well, that's a bit silly.

The great Duke you brought up recruits across the country and picks from the very best---they don't limit themselves to recruiting guys from their immediate area and neither schould the Chattanooga's or Tn Tech's.

Look at the example of Brent Jolly---he had a VERY solid career at Tn Tech. He could have played in the SEC and been a role player but chose a more prominent role at Tech---by the way---he was EASILY the player of the year in AA in HS----compare his accolades to Hare, Pickel and Pugh. If you were a coach at a TN Mid-major, would you seriously go after those guys?

Again---I am NOT degrading those guys----but don't degrade the level they belong on! There are schools like Lee, Cumberland, Tn Wesleyan, King, Milligan, Lambuth, Union, Trevecca, etc (all NAIA  schools) that play a really competitive level of basketball----these guys (Pickel and Pugh) could be outstanding at that level---or, they could try to go bigger and not play as prominent a role.

Sorry have to disagree with you man on that one. Both Pickel and Hare are D1 and Pugh may very well grow into D1 potential. Don't think Miss Wareagle was saying that schools should take them because they are locals or of good character. I think maybe she was saying that Pickel and Pugh are just as good as some of the character"less" players that are being recruited by some of these schools. Watched them all year. Pickel is actually a better floor general and shooter than Hare. Hare is stronger. Belmont is probably a good fit for Hare but to say that Pickel and Pugh could not play at that level is asanine. However, I hope they both stay close at home and play for Lee. The years I have watched Lee, Lee could play with UTC most of the time anyway. Both of these guys could be standouts at Lee you are right but don't make the statement that they are not D1. If Mr McMinn is D1 then Hare Pickel and Pugh are d1 allstars.

NO disrespect taken. Being the proud granny of six I take no offense from youngsters. I have watched these boys play for three years and my hubby is a fanatic. Concerning the three quoth the hubby:" Pickel is the best all-around player who is a true PG that can shoot better than anyone out of Bradley. Hare is the strongest PG in the state with also great shooting abilities. Would have played small forward on alot of high school teams with his jumping abilities. Pugh, quick and good defender. Maybe more promise than either of the two. In a clutch, he says go to Pickel 10 out of 10 times. Brown has come on this year in a big way but yet to be seen how he will do in the big games." He says that I was being too hard on you and that NAIA is good and many D1 schools like Belmont are just D1 in name only and are in fact smaller schools than many NAIA. I didn't know that. Just thought that it was based on size. Also heard that MTSU backed out on Kellen because he is going to play both sports in college. Hard to play NCAA both. Also heard Army wants him in a bad way.UTC has looked at Pugh but his shooting skills are not good enough. Hare should be Mr. Basketball and that alone should help his status in college. I have watched many games on television lately and I just hink that Pickel and Hare both could help some of these teams with their shooting. But I am just a granny. Maybe I will stick to the cooking and cleaning. LOL. I personally hope that these guys will stay close to home so we can keep up with them.

UNFORTUNATLEY---the only one with D-1 potential is Hare.....and Belmont is a good fit for him....level wise and system wise. Pickel and Pugh are BOTH very talented players---but to suggest a school take them simply because they are 'local' guys with class acts----well, that's a bit silly.

The great Duke you brought up recruits across the country and picks from the very best---they don't limit themselves to recruiting guys from their immediate area and neither schould the Chattanooga's or Tn Tech's.

Look at the example of Brent Jolly---he had a VERY solid career at Tn Tech. He could have played in the SEC and been a role player but chose a more prominent role at Tech---by the way---he was EASILY the player of the year in AA in HS----compare his accolades to Hare, Pickel and Pugh. If you were a coach at a TN Mid-major, would you seriously go after those guys?

Again---I am NOT degrading those guys----but don't degrade the level they belong on! There are schools like Lee, Cumberland, Tn Wesleyan, King, Milligan, Lambuth, Union, Trevecca, etc (all NAIA  schools) that play a really competitive level of basketball----these guys (Pickel and Pugh) could be outstanding at that level---or, they could try to go bigger and not play as prominent a role.

Sorry have to disagree with you man on that one. Both Pickel and Hare are D1 and Pugh may very well grow into D1 potential. Don't think Miss Wareagle was saying that schools should take them because they are locals or of good character. I think maybe she was saying that Pickel and Pugh are just as good as some of the character"less" players that are being recruited by some of these schools. Watched them all year. Pickel is actually a better floor general and shooter than Hare. Hare is stronger. Belmont is probably a good fit for Hare but to say that Pickel and Pugh could not play at that level is asanine. However, I hope they both stay close at home and play for Lee. The years I have watched Lee, Lee could play with UTC most of the time anyway. Both of these guys could be standouts at Lee you are right but don't make the statement that they are not D1. If Mr McMinn is D1 then Hare Pickel and Pugh are d1 allstars.

NO disrespect taken. Being the proud granny of six I take no offense from youngsters. I have watched these boys play for three years and my hubby is a fanatic. Concerning the three quoth the hubby:" Pickel is the best all-around player who is a true PG that can shoot better than anyone out of Bradley. Hare is the strongest PG in the state with also great shooting abilities. Would have played small forward on alot of high school teams with his jumping abilities. Pugh, quick and good defender. Maybe more promise than either of the two. In a clutch, he says go to Pickel 10 out of 10 times. Brown has come on this year in a big way but yet to be seen how he will do in the big games." He says that I was being too hard on you and that NAIA is good and many D1 schools like Belmont are just D1 in name only and are in fact smaller schools than many NAIA. I didn't know that. Just thought that it was based on size. Also heard that MTSU backed out on Kellen because he is going to play both sports in college. Hard to play NCAA both. Also heard Army wants him in a bad way.UTC has looked at Pugh but his shooting skills are not good enough. Hare should be Mr. Basketball and that alone should help his status in college. I have watched many games on television lately and I just hink that Pickel and Hare both could help some of these teams with their shooting. But I am just a granny. Maybe I will stick to the cooking and cleaning. LOL. I personally hope that these guys will stay close to home so we can keep up with them.

granny these players (pickel, hare) are NOT d-1 by any stretch of the imagination. They are good HS players, but D-1? No way. have you ever actually seen a high school squad play that has several d-1 players? Have you ever seen a HS squad play with several major d-1 players play? Just because they are nice kids doesnt mean they deserve a d-1 shot! Look at Pickel- I have watched him play for 3 years, he does well, but who is he playing against. He is not that tall, not that big, how could he compete with the CJ Watsons, how can he keep up with the John Winchesters, or match up with the Scooter McFagdons? And I'm just using examples from a very bad tennessee squad. Granny, before you make any more absurd comments, go watch some d-1 basketbll and realize that bradley's competition is WEAK, WEAK, WEAK

Hare is D-I. Pickel (too slow), Pugh (can't shoot) are not by any stretch of your imagination. They will both be very successful in NAIA. But, as bearmen put it, people said the same things about Humphrey at Maryville, but in my humble opinion, Humphrey is the best shooter out of those three by far and he also plays some hard-nosed defense, and he was also rated as one of the top 100 players nationally, which none of the three of these players are.

Edited by Shine_A_Light

He says that I was being too hard on you and that NAIA is good and many D1 schools like Belmont are just D1 in name only and are in fact smaller schools than many NAIA. I didn't know that. Just thought that it was based on size. Also heard that MTSU backed out on Kellen because he is going to play both sports in college. Hard to play NCAA both. Also heard Army wants him in a bad way.UTC has looked at Pugh but his shooting skills are not good enough. Hare should be Mr. Basketball and that alone should help his status in college.

Belmont beat Missouri. They're D-I in more than name only.

Mr. Basketball doesn't mean anything in college. He will be one of many, whether he gets the award or not.

granny these players (pickel, hare) are NOT d-1 by any stretch of the imagination. They are good HS players, but D-1? No way. have you ever actually seen a high school squad play that has several d-1 players? Have you ever seen a HS squad play with several major d-1 players play? Just because they are nice kids doesnt mean they deserve a d-1 shot! Look at Pickel- I have watched him play for 3 years, he does well, but who is he playing against. He is not that tall, not that big, how could he compete with the CJ Watsons, how can he keep up with the John Winchesters, or match up with the Scooter McFagdons? And I'm just using examples from a very bad tennessee squad. Granny, before you make any more absurd comments, go watch some d-1 basketbll and realize that bradley's competition is WEAK, WEAK, WEAK

Hey Doylian:

Obviously you don't have a freakin clue about competition! Did you know that Bradley Central defeated the Alabama State Champions-John Carroll High? That was in the Rumble on the Ridge tournament in Arkansas. Get off your high horse, find out about tough schedules and them get back on CoachT and discuss it. (I said this before in an earlier post: Why would CoachT rank them #2 in their strength of schedule?) Do some research before getting on here and offering your opinion-you just make yourself look ignorant.

Actually the doylian Clinton who Bradley Central beat at state has 3 players going D1. All 3 seniors. Mykail Vibbert UNC-Asheville, Tevah Morris (Wisconsin-GB, Appy St. or UNC-Asheville) AJ Freeman (Austin Peay, Appy St.)

Hey cdragons or w/e your name is...mykill vibert is overrated. Yep..sorry to tell ya that..and Tevah is good enuff to play at Appy, but AJ Freeman...nope he cant do it.. he cant shoot, hes too slow, and gets tired too easy. Hes just tall and weighs a lot. He wont make it at that level.

Hey cdragons or w/e your name is...mykill vibert is overrated. Yep..sorry to tell ya that..and Tevah is good enuff to play at Appy, but AJ Freeman...nope he cant do it.. he cant shoot, hes too slow, and gets tired too easy. Hes just tall and weighs a lot. He wont make it at that level.

I believe the scouts see more potential than you do. Vibbert has already signed and their are colleges at school about every day talking to Morris or Freeman. So i guess the scouts see somethign YOU dont.

Hare is D-I. Pickel (too slow), Pugh (can't shoot) are not by any stretch of your imagination. They will both be very successful in NAIA.

You've got to be kidding?!?! The only thing you got right was saying Justin was D-1. Kellen is D-1 too and is one of the quickest guards on the team. Cori can shoot the lights out and is a defensive force. I think they should have been signed together somewhere. They have played together since 6th grade. They know each other like the back of their hand. It is a shame that they didn't reach their goal this year. They really deserved to go out on top.