New Coach In Lewis County

BusterJr

Word from Lewis County is that Head Coach Rick Johnson has resigned his position as teacher / coach after 5 very successful seasons. As always a list of possible replacements have already been established and is as follows :

David Collie

Billy Ray Yarbrough

Glen Cox

Howard Spears

Bruce Slatton

Evan Lawson

Hugh Smith & the Horsemen

Larry Helton

Gean McBee

Joe Gray

Good Luck to all possible replacements, you have big shoes to fill.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an unbelievable turn of events at LCHS. Rumors have been swirling for weeks speculating that a coach may be leaving, but few figured it would be Johnson. Big shoes to fill, but with the talent coming up whoever replaces Coach J will be successful. Is it true he is returning to Duke as an assistant? And who are the serious candidates. Spears, Slatten, Helton, who?

Johnson has had 5 very successfull years turning the boys basketball program in the direction it needs. He's done nothing but help the program. I guess i would take another job too if it doubled my salary. Best of luck to him and the team. And Glenn better take it. :D Its my elephant now

Edited by SantaClaus

I heard a rumor today that legendary coach Howard Spears will be returning as the new Lewis County boys coach for 2005. Coach Spears has been involved in several closed door meetings with Mr. Pace and several of the board members trying to come to a conclusion with salary and assistants. This would be a great move in the right direction for the this team and for the athletics in Lewis County. Coach Spears had many successful years coaching in the small Community. Starting first with the middle school girls, high school girls, middle school boys (won a state championship), and then with the high school boys. Lets get behind MR. Pace and these board members and turn this athletic group of young men in the right direction.

Sincerely,

The Inside Buster

I would have to think Mr. Hugh Smith and his posse would be candidates for this position based on what they have done at the middle school level the last two years. Mr. Smith has previous experience at the high school level, and he has two able-bodied, motivated SRO sidekicks to assist him. They sometimes come on the court during time-outs with their 6-shooters waving and giving each other highfives when they are drilling other teams. I think their motto is "we will raise up our glasses against evil forces, singing whiskey for our men and beer for our horses"! I cannot wait for the day when they start firing off "victory shots" after games and pepper gym roofs with bullet holes.

Coachholtz,

I believe I will have to disagree with you on that point. Inside sources have informed me that Coach Howard Spears will make his triumphant return to his alma mater as the NEW Lewis County High School boys coach. "Bear" will enter his 26 year of teaching and 19th year as "COACH". I have also been told by board members a new contract is being negotiated and should be completed by mid-week. Talks of a new assistant are also underway. There have been several names mentioned. I will not discuss any names as I have ben asked to remain silent on this topic. The choices sound very interesting and should make for a promissing future for Panther basketball. Please stay tuned to coacht.com for further details. As for now, reporting live from Hohenwald, I am the real Buster.

The Inside Buster

I think Coach Holtz is correct. The passion the officers have is unmatched by any other asst. coaching staff in the southeastern U.S. I f they have that much enthusiasm for their police work they will soon be working for some agency like the FBI, CIA, or Secret Service. They would definitely be good for the lewis county program.

Were there very many applicants for the job? I havent found the job posted anywhere, so I am wondering if the job is actually close to being filled or if alot of this is smoke? I have heard alot of the same names that have been listed, but are there any who dont have ties in Lewis County? This situation continues to intrigue me as fan of the program, and I hope a decision is made that is good for the program, not just a quick decision. I am shocked that BusterJr hasnt given any new information, as he always seems to have the inside scoop.

CSI-Hohenwald,

I will try my best to inform you of the situation. To my knowledge and the information I have been given by other board members, we do not have any applicants who is not from Hohenwald. Glen Cox will not be accepting the job as he is on his way to the sunshine state. The only other names mentioned besides the legendary Howard Spears is Evan Lawson and Coach Helton. Evan does not have the experience the board members are looking for. They are searching for someone with 10+ years of coaching experience and a proven track record. Both Helton and Spears qualify, but Helton has 2 sons that will be members on the team. That would make for a very interesting situation if he is given the job. Would he continue coaching the girls, or concentraate on the boys only? That is all the information that I am able to deliever for now. Reporting live from Hohenwald, I am the Real Buster.

The Inside Buster