Blackman

Noragarm

i hope dr. nixon realizes the potential significance of this case. if he decides to fire greene, it will give booster clubs/parent clubs, etc authority all over the state the ability to choose a coaches' fate, you can be guaranteed athletic departments all over the state are waiting for the results of this case. personally, i think the boosters and the parents have had a bone to pick from day one and when greene makes a mistake they try to go in for the kill. greene shoudl be reprimanded, not fired. people keep in mind these are the same group of parents and boosters that were a big reason why kevin woodson resigned and bout got alsup to do so as well. i plead dr. nixon to reprimand, not fire greene, cuz if he does he succumbs to the will of the parents and the boosters and would change the face of high school athletics in tennessee

I think that is a little overboard, this is a situtation you don't find everywhere in the state. I think in this situation the best thing to do is to do what is best for the student athletes. Greene can go find a job somewhere else, but these kids only have four years of high school, so they shouldn't have to play for a guy who they are threatened by. It would be different if they didn't like his coaching style, but due to his actions he has made their case concrete. You never put your hands on a kid no matter what level of play you are on. He decision will not change the face of high school athletics, that is absurd to think such a thing. So you are saying if a teacher grabs a hold of a kid in a classroom he/ she shouldn't be fired but reprimanded?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a voice of experience, the Blackman baseball family is about to enter a season of instability and frustration. It has taken Cookeville many many losing and frustrating seasons to finally get tired of parents and players running the team. After years of subpar performances because of continual power struggles the present day parents have allowed a coach to be coach and put their confidence in him.

I am completely unaware of the events surrounding this incident, but I am sure their is spin on both sides. After watching the Blackman team play this year it's obivous that certian parents call the shots. It's all about their children and future considerations and not about the team.

If this situation is not handled for the good of the program five years from now there will begin to be a revolving door of coaches at Blackman. And when there is no stability there is no winning.

We are the voice of experience in Cookeville in these type of situations.

Guest region4fan

This situation may be actually be unique, but I really am not certain until i know all the facts. I do know that the parents at Blackman from the past and present definitely DO try to run the show. The parents seem to have too much of a voice . they definitely have had a lot of coaching changes and scandals to only be a 4 year old school. Maybe Dr. Nixon is the one who needs to ne replaced?

Edited by region4fan

Well I think everyone knows that parents all across the state think they are coaching geniuses but coaches have to have the ability to not listen to them and do what is best for his team. In this situation I think Greene may of let the problems off the field affect his team and that is a no no as a coach. I know we are all human, but as a said again. A coach under NO circumstances should touch a player of make a player feel threatened by them.

Guest region4fan

I do not condone ever touching a player in a threatening manner. However, I do know that there have been a parent or two from Blackman who have left their seats at a ballgame and made their way onto the field to threaten or confront a coach.This is in front of fans and players!! This is DURING a game that the coach is trying to coach. Not after the game....while it is going on!! I am saying that things have gotten out of hand at Blackman. One such incident was this fall at a freshman football game. No do you think that a parent has a right to do that?? Did the parent get removed or fired? I think that you know the answer.

I do not condone ever touching a player in a threatening manner. However, I do know that there have been a parent or two from Blackman who have left their seats at a ballgame and made their way onto the field to threaten or confront a coach.This is in front of fans and players!! This is DURING a game that the coach is trying to coach. Not after the game....while it is going on!! I am saying that things have gotten out of hand at Blackman. One such incident was this fall at a freshman football game. No do you think that a parent has a right to do that?? Did the parent get removed or fired? I think that you know the answer.

A coach is held to a higher standard than everyone else when he takes the job. You can not fire a parent, but only prevent them from coming on the field. No parents should ever come on the field unless one child is injured or hurt. I know parents act stupid sometimes but like I said that gives the coach no excuse for doing what he did.

Guest region4fan

You are exactly right. However, I am just trying to inform you about how it is at Blackman and how it has been allowed the be. The same parent that I was discussing also is a baseball parent. I do not know if the kid pushed, was his kid or not. I am just saying that if this one parent has been trying to control the team in the same manner as he did in football, that it could have been frustrating to the coach and pushed him to a breaking point. Of course his actions are unacceptable to me.

Let me again make it clear that I do not know enough about the situation to make an informed decision about punishment due. I will only adamantly state that Dr. Nixon needs to EDUCATE the parents at Blackman as to what their role is and what the coach's role is. Considering that several coaches have resigned at that school.............there is something that is a problem. I think that Nixon should be held accountable. Either he did not research his coaches' backgrounds carefully enough or he has given the booster clubs the green light to wage war on sports at Blackman when they are not getting their way.

Edited by region4fan

All I know about the situation at Blackman is what I've read on these posts and I wouldn't condone Coach Greene's actions, if that is what happened. I do know there are two sides to every situation and I haven't heard or read any statements from Coach Greene. I've known Doug Greene for awhile and umpired many games for him at Coffee Co High School. He took over a program there that was really struggling and put Coffee Co basball back to an elite status in 8AAA and the program has done well ever since, thanks to Phil King and the current coach, Chase Jones. I've always had a good relationship with Doug and enjoyed umpiring his games. As far as I know, he had no problems at Coffee Co and I think he is an excellent coach. Its an unfortunate situation at Blackman and I hope they can turn this season around. I also wish Doug Greene the best, whether its at Blackman or some other school.