Who's Fighting Injuries?

800trackmom

With track in full swing, I'm starting to hear about some key injuries here and there. Which teams are fighting this plague and what are the prospects of the injured being able to compete this season? I hope there aren't a lot of replies to this topic cause that should mean that most everyone is healthy?

I saw a lot of kids at tonight's track meet that kept toss the shot up or tossing the discus up, while waiting for their turn. I just kept waiting for someone to get bonked. Must not have happened, since I didn't hear any screaming (or laughing from the spectators). So is that how you keep loose between throws, or what? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Found out today that illness can wipe out a track season just as quickly as injury. In this case the illness is mono and it will probably cost my daughter at least three weeks of track. She was diagnosed last week and went back to the doctor today, hoping to be released to run. No such luck. Even though the mono was a little better, she now has strep. Apparently that is very common, because mono makes such a hit on the immune system. Now if your track team is like ours, everyone is always "sharing" drinks. Don't do that. If one member of your team gets mono or strep, you could sideline the whole team. The bad news for her is she will definitely not run this week and maybe not next. You can't make up three weeks of training this late in the season. The good news is that she has two more years. Both mono and strep can be serious and they will definitely hurt your season. Don't share your drinks.