MBA vs. McCallie

ThePenAtrAtoR69

I would disagree with McCallie's goalie being easily best in state. Yes, after seeing him in the MBA game, I would agree he is better in goal than Regan. Regan is rather weak on high shots. The only thing is, McCallie's goalie(after the goalies I have seen this year) isn't even in the top 3 in the state outside of the goal (clearing, ground balls, etc.) He made many errant throws and Regan flat out is tops in the state in this aspect. Sure it is much more important to be better in goal but being weak at clearing can come back to haunt any goalie. How good is MUS's goalie overall?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah you're right redtwin caroland was is the only pure shooter on MBA's team and he only scored one outside shot on the McCallie goalie and the goalie made two one on one saves on caroland. so i would have to say that he is better then regan if he stopped their best shooter twice one on one and he only got one in from the outside. regan got shelled from every spot on the field.

I disagree. As I said earlier, I haven't seen McCallie's keeper play, so I can't be firm in my answer, but I know what kind of goalie Regan is. His outlets are very impressive, and he is very consistent between the pipes. His supporting cast this year isn't helping him out at all (his best defenseman is a sophomore). His save percentage is very high, which is good, considering the high amount of shots he sees. It sounds like he may have had a subpar game, but I'll be very surprised to see someone else beat him out for the all-state goalie position.

Edited by Redtwin

McCallie is in a class of its own after beating MBA twice.

I wouldn't say that. I like MUS in this matchup. McCallie's strengths matched up perfectly in their favor with MBA's weaknesses. MUS will not match up so poorly, and they have the best coach in the state. Beating MBA is good, but they haven't proven themselves to be anything special so far this year. If McCallie does beat MUS, then they might be able to make such a claim.

How is best coach in the state determined?  Best feeder program in the state...maybe.

Coach Dent has won more state championships, put more players Division I, and had more All Americans than any other coach. If you watch MUS play any team in TN, MUS will have better stick skills from top to bottom. There are plenty of other good coaches in TN, but Dent seems to have everything figured out. He is also almost soley responsible for the enormous lacrosse buzz in Memphis, including the feeder programs and stickhead lacrosse store.

Edited by Redtwin

On any given day you could plead the best coach case in the same manner. Everything figured out? I'm not bashing anyone, but every city and school has different resources, more than just one coach should be credited for the accolades you attribute to Coach Dent.

Five state championships (4 in a row), Seven all-americans, and several D-I players are a boast few coaches in this state can make. Coach Kemp has fielded some good teams, winning 3 titles, 4 all-americans, and a couple of DI signees, and Dan Cooper is a great coach who has completely turned around an MBA program that was destroyed by the coach before him. Both Coach Kemp and Coach Cooper are good coaches and good people. So is Jon Bloom, and Jeff Gould and I have a great deal of respect for all of them, but none can make some of the claims that Elliot Dent can, which is why he is currently the best coach in the state.

Edited by Redtwin