College Scouts

bball35

I am an asst coach in college and we look for players that are motivated, smart (ball sense as well as academically), coachable/team player, a player that can play more than one position, speed, and a hitter. Plus someone that wants to play for 4 years in college.

You don't get all of the above most of the time but if we can get a player with some of the above, then some of what they don't have can be taught!

Thing I have learn is that college coaches look at summer teams mostly. The reason is the pitching is better so you see what players can do. It sad that their season is going on at the same time as HS is. Softball programs have limited money but they use it to get the most out of it.

Some good players from small schools have to work in the summer of their senior year so they can go to school in the fall because they have not gotten a offer and have to pay their way though.

NCAA D1 Contact/Evaluation period January 1 thru July 31

April 14 till Aug 1 is late signing period for the NCAA

May 25 till June 1 is D1 dead period for the NCAA then they go into a Quiet Perid from June 1 till June 7

NCAA D2 Dead period april 12 thru april 14

Most parents don't really understand what is going on plus some HS coaches don't know how to help either. We do have some good coaches in the state that know how to help players get seen. Plus Fastpitch is getting HS coaches now that have played fastpitch in College and know how they did it and want the game to keep growing

You can go to www.fastpitchrecruit.com to get some help or www.nfca.org to see some paper work from coaches there

Good luck to all senior softball players from large and small schools in TN

MIDDLE TENNESSEE SOFTBALL COACHES ASSOCIATION is doing all it can to help eveyone if they join up

I look for kids in high school a lot. Reason being that a lot of good players don't play travel ball and are unknown. Smaller schools (rural schools) don't have the quantities that the larger schools have but sometimes you run across a player with all kinds of athleticism and ability. Mind you, not many are found this way, but we have gotten this years starting left fielder and shortstop because they were virtually unkowns in high school. Both of these players are our top hitters and the left fielder is leading the conference in hitting with a 506 average. Shortstop is hitting over 400.

Don't get me wrong, I do recruit the travel players but I basically know most of them, so I talk to them during high school mostly.