Top Scorers in East TN......

chill

i hate questions like this because its so misleading. im so happy that jared price (who is a good player) can score 16 goals against bad teams. but try scoring 16 goals in division II soccer. if you get to 10 you had a great year. its just much more competitive soccer. the only other teams that can match up with DII teams are the farruguts and beardens of the state. a million goals in a bad division doesn't even compare with 5 or 6 in a tough division.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

price has over 20 goals now.....and he scored against the beardens of the world...twice in the 3-2 win. of course he scores against the weaker competition, but he rarely gets to play a full half. and dont overlook his double digit numbers in assists. he is a solid player and would be an asset on any team in any division in the state.

Edited by soccermadness

jdougher is absolutely correct. A 10 goal season for a DII player is outstanding. Very few opponents of DII teams can be beaten by wide margins the way the strong DI schools pound the weaklings in their districts. Price is obviously a good player. That's not the point. AAA and A/AA players run up their scoring stats by consitently playing a number of weak teams every year because of their district structures. Let Baylor or McCallie line up against Heritage or Wm. Blount and any concern about scoring will be solved---although it's unlikely that either Baylor or McCallie would run it up on a weak school the way some of the highly ranked DI's do.

in the redmond 11 (the ranking of All tenn teams regardless of div) there are 6 AAA teams....4 div II teams and 1 A/AA team. there is only 1 divII in the top 5. and what about harding acdy.....a div II team that lost 10-0 and 8-0 to the highest ranked div II teams......and there is st benedict another div II team with losses of 12-0 and 8-0 to ranked div II teams. div II is good at the top (as is div AAA and div A/AA) but not all good from top to bottom. and yes...there are blow outs in div II soccer where players and teams run up their stats.

Edited by soccermadness

soccermadness,

You pointed out two div. II schools, probably the only two that are that weak. Div. II East Region's teams are Knox Catholic, Webb, McCallie, Baylor, and Notre Dame. Any one of those teams can give any team in the state a good game, and they have to play one another every year, with scores like 1-0, 2-0, 3-1, 0-0, and the like. You will rarely, I don't even think I've seen one this year, get a scoreline of 4-0, much less a line of 16-0 as some top teams in AAA hand out to the Heritages of the world. The same can be said for Middle, while West is probably the most top-heavy, but still highly competitive in many games. The point is DII teams schedule against the best of A/AA and AAA, and then play their region schedules, as well as some more DII teams on the side. Not many games are cakewalks, unlike AAA and A/AA teams' schedules, where you will find many weaker teams in their district. To prove my point, look at the scoring leaders in DII and compare them to the scoring leaders for AAA. You will see quite a wide difference in goals, but when a DII team plays a top A/AA or AAA school, it is usually a pretty good game with not much scoring. Not to take away from the scoring leaders in AAA and A/AA, its not their fault they play weak teams in their district. And the Redmond rankings are bogus. See how many DII teams are on it at the end of the season.

i hate questions like this because its so misleading. im so happy that jared price (who is a good player) can score 16 goals against bad teams. but try scoring 16 goals in division II soccer. if you get to 10 you had a great year. its just much more competitive soccer. the only other teams that can match up with DII teams are the farruguts and beardens of the state. a million goals in a bad division doesn't even compare with 5 or 6 in a tough division.

jdouger,

I believe McMinn has played against 2 division II teams (Baylor in the preseason, and Knox Catholic in the regular season) and defeated them both. Also, McMinn defeated Bearden and lost 2-1 to Farragut. It seems as though McMinn can easily match up with DII teams, as well as teams like Farragut and Bearden.

In otherwords, you don't have a clue. Yes there are several good DII teams, but the level of competition is no better than it is in AAA.

Ok i play in West Tennessee and truly have never seen these people play or anything, but seeing people with 15+ goals and 0 assist or 1 assist..... is there a reason behind this that anyone can tell me? Are they the only real scoreing threat on the team or do they not give the ball up? Everyone likes to score goals, including me, but giving a good assist I think is just as nice. I mean no disrespect and am not questioning the skill and teamwork of these players, was just wondering. Sorry if I offended anyone.

In otherwords, you don't have a clue. Yes there are several good DII teams, but the level of competition is no better than it is in AAA.

That's not what he's saying. There is a greater percentage of "poor" teams in AAA than there is in DII, therefore some AAA teams "pad their stats" against a greater number of poor teams. There is no arguing this point; it is a fact. Price may be a great ball player, but scoring 20 goals, when a great many of them come against teams such as Cumberland or Rhea County, doesn't do anything to support that opinion.

That's not what he's saying. There is a greater percentage of "poor" teams in AAA than there is in DII, therefore some AAA teams "pad their stats" against a greater number of poor teams. There is no arguing this point; it is a fact. Price may be a great ball player, but scoring 20 goals, when a great many of them come against teams such as Cumberland or Rhea County, doesn't do anything to support that opinion.

"its just much more competitive soccer. the only other teams that can match up with DII teams are the farruguts and beardens of the state."-- jdougher

Good call Seldon.

soccermadness,

You pointed out two div. II schools, probably the only two that are that weak.

yes i did only point out 2.....i could have added lausanne collegiate from memphis that has posted 14-0 and 12-0 losses in div II games....or how about middle tn. christian with a pair of 8-0 losses in div II games. and we wouldnt want to overlook st. andrews, benton hall and mt. juliet. and we have already mentioned harding and st benedict above. after looking at the 25 divII teams i found listed.....25% of them are weak or very weak. there are plenty of opportunities for div II players to get their numbers.......so go ahead...score!! and if u cant, dont blame it on the lack of weak competition in div II because, as in all divisions......they are there ...and represent a significant percentage within the division.

soccermadness,

after looking at the 25 divII teams i found listed.....25% of them are weak or very weak.

Having looked over the 38 AAA teams in East Tennessee, I think it is safe to conclude that approximately 70% of the teams can be considered weak to very weak. I may be missing something on the math aspect, but I believe that is a considerably considerably higher percentage than 25%.