Best player in East TN?

mhusband31

Jason Gray is a good player but is hardly in the same league with all of the aforementioned players. His forte is pitching but I don't think his stick is up to par with the rest. Not to mention that Rutledge is a AA school and doesn't nearly play a schedule that the other players' teams play. Sorry but I don't include him. :D

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

pitchers are recuited more than catchers bud...

Okay, well let's say this is true, Waldrop throws 90-92 consistently, while there are other high school pitchers that throw as hard, have as good offspeed etc. I am not belittling Waldrop at all because he is a great pitcher, and that is not even up for discussion but what I'm getting at is there is no other catcher in East TN that throws a 1.75 or in Tennessee for that matter, (if so, he needs some attention) because this is unheard of and most professional catchers don't have the quick feet or the strong arm that Kirkland does. My point proven. The pitchers being more recruited than catchers is true if we are talking about numbers. Good catchers are hard to find and don't come along often. I'd think that if a pro scout had to choose between a good catcher and a good pitcher then he'd go with the catcher because pitchers are everywhere.

If you want to point out skills like Kirklands reaction time to being better than all, how about Waldrop's zero earned runs given up this year? Yes, there are a couple pitchers who throw harder than Waldrop but Price from Blackman is the only pitcher in the state in the same league as Waldrop. Others may have as good offspeed, I don't really know. But none have both like Waldrop. You could point out that many hit better than Kirkland. I still go with Waldrop as the best all-around.

Okay, well let's say this is true, Waldrop throws 90-92 consistently, while there are other high school pitchers that throw as hard, have as good offspeed etc. I am not belittling Waldrop at all because he is a great pitcher, and that is not even up for discussion but what I'm getting at is there is no other catcher in East TN that throws a 1.75 or in Tennessee for that matter, (if so, he needs some attention) because this is unheard of and most professional catchers don't have the quick feet or the strong arm that Kirkland does. My point proven. The pitchers being more recruited than catchers is true if we are talking about numbers. Good catchers are hard to find and don't come along often. I'd think that if a pro scout had to choose between a good catcher and a good pitcher then he'd go with the catcher because pitchers are everywhere.

well since you know everything let me throw something else that you should consider...

1) im not fighting that waldrop will be in the draft first or anything... i could care less

2) great.. he is the best defensive catcher around... im not saying he isnt.. but i would like to see them dh for the catcher instead of the pitcher because he def. isnt ready for the pros hitting... there is more than just catching bud and he is a pretty good hitter, but it is against high school pitching that is...

This was in the paper last year....

June 22, 2003 - Farragut's Kyle Waldrop could become the highest Knoxville player selected in baseball's free-agent draft since Todd Helton was picked in the first round by the Colorado Rockies in 1995. According to pro scouts, the 6-foot-5 right-handed pitcher, who led the Admirals to the state Class AAA championship last month as a junior, could go as high as the second round if the 2004 draft were held today. College and pro scouts will get another chance to put their radar guns on Waldrop this week at Lindsey Nelson Stadium, where his Knoxville Thunder 17-under team will compete in the fifth annual Volunteer-Thunder Classic. )

Well since you say I know everything 'per say' did I in any way say that Waldrop wasn't pro material??? THANKS!! Take your attitude somewhere else. You got off of what the thread was about in the first place, we were not talking about newspaper articles. But if we were, check out Friday's article in The News Sentinel :D Yeah, just trying to lighten the mood but I have nothing but respect for these two players, lets keep in mind that these are just personal opinions!

Edited by hmslb32

Obviously for those of you who know me, I am partial towards Kyle (best in E. TN and 1st pick). Having seen him play every game, both HS and summer, for the last 4 years I have witnessed one of those "once in a life-time" players that has the skills you talk about for years after........."I remember a time......" 1st or 2nd or 3rd or 4th........who knows.....remember Spencer is a 6'5" left-handed pitcher that could be very appealing........no matter how these young men are drafted they should all be wearing sunglasses, because whichever way they turn their futures are bright. If they go pro....they are all great talents that will continue to develop....if they go to school......same deal - will continue to develop + to my knowledge they will all help their teams GPA as true student athlete's.

Well since you say I know everything 'per say' did I in any way say that Waldrop wasn't pro material??? THANKS!! Take your attitude somewhere else. You got off of what the thread was about in the first place, we were not talking about newspaper articles. But if we were, check out Friday's article in The News Sentinel B) Yeah, just trying to lighten the mood but I have nothing but respect for these two players, lets keep in mind that these are just personal opinions!

...your personal opinion being a bad one

Some people obviously do not pick up as fast as others do. I never questioned Kyle's ability, he's a great all around player. It's a shame one cannot have their opinion without getting criticized, you have your opinion, I didn't disrespect you. I thought someone should take the upperhand here and be mature and make this clear that Kyle Waldrop has great ability and a bright future. I never said otherwise, lets keep these posts mature.

Granted Chris Kirkland has a great pop time....he still can't hit for crap against high school pitching, and he didn't even make All-KIL....so tell me how he can be considered a pro-prospect? he's not exactly the fastest person either - i'm not trying to cut the kid down just stating the facts! kirkland is not ready to be drafted......maybe in the 18th round...but don't give him that pleasure, if he can find a stick at bama...then draft him

Some people obviously do not pick up as fast as others do. I never questioned Kyle's ability, he's a great all around player. It's a shame one cannot have their opinion without getting criticized, you have your opinion, I didn't disrespect you. I thought someone should take the upperhand here and be mature and make this clear that Kyle Waldrop has great ability and a bright future. I never said otherwise, lets keep these posts mature.

chill....take a little fun....how could i really say that your personal opinion was bad? when i have my own that you probably dont necessarily agree with? like my previous post...you probably think kirkland is awesome, thats your opinion, i respect it....relax enjoy your freedom of speech