good umps

BlueTiger

I've been unactive for a few years as a coach in the Chattanooga area, but over the past decade-plus, there have been some very good umpires in the association.

I know I'll leave someone out, and a few on my list have retired, but these were always consistent, fair, and hard-working.

Harley Grant

Ron Priddy

Eddie Brown

Chambers

The Guy Who Yells Out EVERY Pitch, ball or strike.

Others, whose names I forget, were very solid. You know who you are. You could always tell who the umps were that were having fun on the job, without trying to be the focal point of the event.

Yeah, there are always those in every profession who are in it for the wrong reasons, those who don't work at their craft hard enough to stay where they need to be, but on balance there was never any need to start any full-scale, general railing.

If you are a player, coach, or a fan, and you enter the "arena" thinking that you're fixin' to get screwed, then you're already a bit defeated, yourself.

"The guy that yells every ball and strike" is pathetic. He came into the stands at our game and challenged a father to a fight after our game. We reported him to the tssaa. He has what is called "rabbit ears". A bad case. We have had problems with him for 2 years. Last year he stopped a game and offered his mask to anyone who would take it. I'm sure if anyone had come on the field he would have been fired. He does'nt know how to walk to his car after a game and go home. He blew a call in a district game that cost us the winning run. His own partner at a later game said he was out of position and blew it. The rest of the guys I'm sure do a great job and work very hard, and they deserve credit.