Anderson County Football

Scotsman18

Howdy. I was just wonderin if there's someone out there with some opinions on them country boy from Anderson County this year. I know they graduated a bunch but hey coach Kerr is one of the best. I think they have some GREAT sophomores comin up. Remember the name "Zach Ross" you'll read about him one day. Opinions?

Thanks

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AC will be a good team this year but I dont believe theyll be as dominant as in the past few years. The past couple of years the clinton freshman and JV teams have won or theyve been a touchdown away so its time for those kids to be at the varsity level so hopefully this year will be a closer game than last.

Never heard of a sophomore named Zach Ross. I think they have a kid named David Ross. I also know that they have a Zach Lambert, but no Zach Ross.

FYI dragon boy, Clinton hadn't been close in 3 years at the varsity level. Don't look for their freshman and J.V. teams to help them win on Friday night this year either. Maybe, it AC freshman played the dragon varsity it would be close.

Edited by olhickory

Shag, your post is very confusing. I can't really put my finger on it but something just doesn't make sense. You are right. I'm sure AC plans on making a run at a state title this year. Wouldn't it be great on your end of the county to set season goals like that. Instead, the dragons' goals are more along the lines of scoring more than 5 TD's in a season. That would be a great goal for the orange and black this year. And last but not least, try mixing in 2 spaces after every period. It will make your posts easier to read and understand.

Please, how are things sweeter on the AC end. You all have a brand new coach who raised $20,000 to buy new weight equip. You have a brand new surface on your practice field put in by Centennial golf course. The city mows, paints, cares for, and picks up the trash at your field year round. Drive up to AC this summer and you will see the coaching staff out in the hot sun taking care of the field. The AC program has definately worked for what they have. Years ago when Mike Harmening was at AC the most important thing about football was when practice was over so Coach Harmening could go hunting. Then, no one called about working out, or running in the summer. Clinton ran all over AC for years. Now the tide has turned, and will stayed turned for many years to come.

All the improvements done at CHS have been through legitimate fundraisers or donations. CHS pays the city of Clinton $30,000 year to use their facilities. Just like at AC, the practice field maintenance is done by the coaching staff, however, there is one slight difference - AC's assistants are typically hired by the maintenance department for summer work and are paid for their services (last year this was 5 positions, I do not know about this year); CHS has one summer maintenance worker who is paid. I do not fault AC for this as it is my opinion that those who are busting their rear end should be paid (but please don't make it sound like there is an inequality in CHS favor when this is simply not the case).

Edited by marcvols

Marc, get your facts straight. The Mavs only had 3 people that were receiving payment for work at the field during the summer. That is the exact same number of coaches that Clinton had getting paid by the county for working on their practice field. The coaches at AC not only work of the football field but also are in charge of the up of the grounds surrounding the baseball, soccer and softball fields. I know for fact that last years position was more than one at Clinton. I agree that Coach Shattuck worked hard to raise his money. That was not our debate with Shaffnasty. Shaffnasty insisted that AC had it made and that Clinton had to beg for everything that they get. Just as AC has Mr. Worthington fighting for them, Clinton has Mr. Crawford on their side. Speaking with Mr. Crawford, I could tell that he is a very influential man. Having the ability to get the Clinton program what they want.The main point is, AC football will be back again this year. There was never an attempt on my part to show that Clinton received more that AC.

According to the June 2003 Anderson County Board of Education meeting minutes, the following individuals were hired for summer maintenance last year (notice that I stated that I did not know about this year):

Johnny Cox, Butchie Daugherty, Mark Eldridge, Mike Ellis, Brent Gaylor, Josh Kerr, Larry Kerr, Anthony Lambert, Darlene McCulley, Danny Richards, Boyce Templin, Kasey, Templin, Jason Vowell, and Jason Rhodey

I believe this to be factual.

According to July minutes, Jerry Huckaby and Jason Huckaby were hired (although Jason had taken a new job in Mississippi at that time)

Edited by marcvols

Yes, I do try to be factual. You'll see that I did include Jerry Huckaby in the list, but to my knowledge, Kevin Catlett was not hired (he may have been at some other time that was not included in the BOE minutes). I also understand that ACHS has many more facilities(baseball, softball, etc.) to keep up so there is more work to be done.