Derrick Byars

ORDore

Hey CoachT-ers ...

I'm sure many of you have heard that Derrick Byars (6'7 G/F from Memphis Ridgeway) has decided to transfer to Vanderbilt. I, for one, was disappointed when he chose Virginia way back when - and am excited that he'll don the Black and Gold starting in '05/'06.

My questions to you: How do you see him fitting in at VU? How does he compare to Florida recruit Corey Brewer? What are his strengths/weaknesses?

Byars joins the following Tennessean Commodores:

Senior 6'6 Jason Holwerda, Chattanooga (Chatt. Christian)

Junior 5'11 Mario Moore, Nashville (Antioch)

Junior 6'9 Julian Terrell, Nashville (Ezell-Harding)

Junior 6'7 LaBraun Andrews, Memphis (Overton), Walk-on

RS Junior 6'7 Derrick Byars, Memphis (Ridgeway)

Byars' primary competition for playing time at the 3 spot during his junior season looks to be incoming freshman DeMarre' Carroll from Birmingham (John Carroll HS). Carroll is about the same height as Derrick, though thinner and not as developed offensively. Many think Carroll has the most long-term upside of the incoming freshmen. I, personally, think we'll see a lot of the following lineup in '05/'06 on the court --- Mario Moore, 6'6 Shan Foster (Louisiana), Derrick Byars, DeMarre' Carroll, and Julian Terrell. And, I can safely say that if they ever appeared on the court together, that would be the single most talented and athletic group of Commodores to play together ... EVER.

Cheers - stop by VandySports.com and tell us more, if you're so inclined.

ps. J.P. Prince - if you're out there - Vandy would be a GREAT fit!!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...