Weight Certification

fhsd

I'm still hearing rumors of some changes to the weight certification process. Someone said the wrestlers are to get weighed in October for a pre-season determination of what weight they can go to. Is this just a hang on rumor from the talks of last spring or is their something to it?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No rumor. The TSSAA has decide to use mandatory Body Fat measuring as a means of certification for this coming season. Here in Middle Tennessee the coaches will be meeting with TSSAA on Sept. 22 at Hunters Lane High to go over all the details. The old system of a January 15th certification deadline and half your weigh-ins at the certified weight is out. I'm guessing that sites will be set up sometime in October to start the measuring. Whatever the computer spits out is what you'll be allowed to wrestle at.

Although I'm sure there is fresher information out there yet to come, take a look at the thread labeled "Weight management program for next year...” that I started on April 27, 2004.

I talked to Ronnie Carter back in the spring and he said then that our weight program would be designed after Wisconsin's weight program. I posted Wisconsin's weight program in that thread.

Please be aware, though, that even though Ronnie Carter said our weight program would be designed after Wisonsin's program, he did not say it would be the same. I want to provide this information so the kids can have an idea of what is to be expected this year. I don't want to spread false rumors.

As of right now there are 16 states counting us that are using this certification program. I'm not sure exactly which ones they are. The word from NFHSA is that all states will be using this by 2008. Colleges have been using similar programs for about 5-6 years now. They aren't governed by NFHSA so there's may not be exactly the same format. We're probably jumping on this earlier than other states because Mr. Carter is also on the board for NFHSA. That's just a guess, though.

Coach Blair

Can someone clarify the certification weigh in date question for me?

The TSSAA has posted "mass weigh-in " dates. Ours is October 9. I've been told this is the only date to certify and if you don't then you cannot wrestle. That's not how I originally understood it to work.

Is there an alternate date or way to get certified?

Can someone clarify the certification weigh in date question for me?

The TSSAA has posted "mass weigh-in " dates. Ours is October 9. I've been told this is the only date to certify and if you don't then you cannot wrestle. That's not how I originally understood it to work.

825361880[/snapback]

I don't quite understand that date. If wrestling doesn't officially start until November, how can a team be expected to weigh in and certify in October when some of the guys are in cross-county & football, or some kid might decide later in October that he/she wants to wrestle? What about that kid? He doesn't get to wrestle because he missed the October 9th weigh-in date?