Cumberland County?

LB13

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, in my opinion (and its not worth that much), the problem with the Jets football team is the talent level! Lets face it, Cumberland County is one of the largest schools in the state, but you only have a handful of kids out for football and the level of ability is not up to par with other schools your size. The Jets coaches can only do so much with what they have to work with! They already fired a coach in another sport thinking that would improve their chances of winning and it wont. And firing your current coach wont magically make the Jets winners either. I think the biggest problem Cumberland County has with its sports programs is a lack of a middle school feeder program. The elementary feeder programs are a joke! I know everybody loves the precious elementary basketball rivalries and tournament each yr but that is whats wrong with the Jets when they get to High School! Common sense tells you can't find almost a dozen different girls and boys basketball coaches and 7 or 8 different football coaches at the elementary level that are quality coaches and that will properly prepare the young ones coming up to be ready to play 5A football and 3A competition in the other sports. Its hard enough to find one or two quality coaches much less find enough to supply an entire feeder program of elementary schools! I am not knocking the men and women that work hard to coach the elementary schools, but lets be real, each of those schools want to win and the coaches will play whatever style of play that it takes to win, even if its in contrast to what the high school coaches teach. Contrast that to a middle school program that will teach whatever the high school coaches want taught. Instead of trying to find nearly a dozen good coaches, you can build two middle schools and only have to hire two coaches! And then those coaches can teach what the high school coaches want taught and when those kids come to high school they will be coming in all on the same wavelength instead of coming from nearly a dozen different systems! All the big time winning programs have middle school feeder programs. Rockwood has won two State championships in Middle School in the last 3 yrs and they are now ranked 6th in 2A. Oak Ridge has two of the most successful and competitive Middle schools in the state and we all know that the Wildcats are perennial contenders. Maryville may be the best overall team in the state and they have a winning middle school feeder program. I could go on and on, but you see the point. Middle school competition is much more tougher than the elementary system and players come into high school with a TEAM mentality rather than a separatists attitude that they have now (i.e I am from homestead, I am from north, I am from south, I am from crab orchard, etc.). If Cumberland County wants to be a big time sports power in all sports they need to build a couple of middle schools and start building future jets the right way!

I didn't know that cumberland county didn't have middle schools.That tells me alot now,

they can never be very sucessful without a good feeder program.Coaches at cchs do a great

job with that little talent,they been in every game this year,just think if they had the same talent

as my home team Cookeville,or some other schools that have middle schools.I don't think we

would be having this conversation.Coach watt does a good job with what he gets,I don't know if

he has any help with his asst.coaches but good asst. are hard to come by.I think two High

schools will kill Cumberland county sports.

I didn't know that cumberland county didn't have middle schools.That tells me alot now,

they can never be very sucessful without a good feeder program.Coaches at cchs do a great

job with that little talent,they been in every game this year,just think if they had the same talent

as my home team Cookeville,or some other schools that have middle schools.I don't think we

would be having this conversation.Coach watt does a good job with what he gets,I don't know if

he has any help with his asst.coaches but good asst. are hard to come by.I think two High

schools will kill Cumberland county sports.

825346042[/snapback]

Yes...all CC has is a 9 team K-8 county league...a complete joke!!!

Well, in my opinion (and its not worth that much), the problem with the Jets football team is the talent level!  Lets face it, Cumberland County is one of the largest schools in the state, but you only have a handful of kids out for football and the level of ability is not up to par with other schools your size.  The Jets coaches can only do so much with what they have to work with!  They already fired a coach in another sport thinking that would improve their chances of winning and it wont.  And firing your current coach wont magically make the Jets winners either.  I think the biggest problem Cumberland County has with its sports programs is a lack of a middle school feeder program.  The elementary feeder programs are a joke!  I know everybody loves the precious elementary basketball rivalries and tournament each yr but that is whats wrong with the Jets when they get to High School!  Common sense tells you can't find almost a dozen different girls and boys basketball coaches and 7 or 8 different football coaches at the elementary level that are quality coaches and that will properly prepare the young ones coming up to be ready to play 5A football and 3A competition in the other sports.  Its hard enough to find one or two quality coaches much less find enough to supply an entire feeder program of elementary schools!  I am not knocking the men and women that work hard to coach the elementary schools, but lets be real, each of those schools want to win and the coaches will play whatever style of play that it takes to win, even if its in contrast to what the high school coaches teach.  Contrast that to a middle school program that will teach whatever the high school coaches want taught.  Instead of trying to find nearly a dozen good coaches, you can build two middle schools and only have to hire two coaches!  And then those coaches can teach what the high school coaches want taught and when those kids come to high school they will be coming in all on the same wavelength instead of coming from nearly a dozen different systems!  All the big time winning programs have middle school feeder programs.  Rockwood has won two State championships in Middle School in the last 3 yrs and they are now ranked 6th in 2A.  Oak Ridge has two of the most successful and competitive Middle schools in the state and we all know that the Wildcats are perennial contenders.  Maryville may be the best overall team in the state and they have a winning middle school feeder program.  I could go on and on, but you see the point.  Middle school competition is much more tougher than the elementary system and players come into high school with a TEAM mentality rather than a separatists attitude that they have now (i.e I am from homestead, I am from north, I am from south, I am from crab orchard, etc.).  If Cumberland County wants to be a big time sports power in all sports they need to build a couple of middle schools and start building future jets the right way!

825345936[/snapback]

Well i disagree with the no talent part. The Jets may not get alot of players to come out...but they always have as many good athletes as the Cookevilles and the Coffee Countys...but for some reason they are not performing....and if anybody knew why it'd be a new one on me!!! And yes the elementary system is a load of crap that needs to be flushed in order to build team unity...and make the players actually have to compete for a position before HS ball...that is one reason i think that CC has many players not go out or quit...they simply think that a position should be handed to them (like it always had been) and when it isn't....they quit and usually take about 2 or 3 more players with them!!

Edited by wouldntyoulike2know

Just like Coffee County, Crossville is in the best region that they could be placed in. We here in Manchester haven't got much speed or superior athletes. Except for maybe Lincoln County, all the other schoolos of the region have about the same demographics. The games have been somewhat competitive between the all the schools in the past few years. Your coach is a fine coach. 35 or so dressed for 5A is tough to compete with. I saw that your frosh squad has record numbers. Build on that year and the boys will come out. K-8 schools are like T-top Trans Ams... so yesterday. Good luck Jets & Coach Watt.

Typical upper cumberland team. They are soft mentally and would probably rather play basketball or baseball if you asked them. They have never had any type of tradition that I can remember in football. There is a reason for that beyond coaching. It is the type of person that you find in Crossville. It is not however entirely impossible to get that tradition started if you are smart enough to get it turned in the right direction. Great feeder programs are a good start and then coaches, administrators, faculty, and most of all a community dedicated to getting the thing started is the main factor. How much speed does Crossville have? If you cant run its hard to play football.