D-II A, is there a problem with everyone?

the muffin man

Why does everyone outside of D-IIA think that the teams in that class are no good. Ok they might not be the biggest schools, but so what. It doesnt mean they have no talent or anything. I will guarenttee thought, that if you took the Bishop Byrne team from 2 years ago and put them in D-IA they would have won the championship of that class. And everyone thinks that this is were the leftover bad private schools that have no were to go are dumped. When in fact these private schools in D-IIA, would give alot of teams in D-IA a run for their money. All D-IIA schools dont have all bad sports, look at Tipton-Rosemarks volleyball team they beat Bolton High School. They are also 5-0 in football right now and so is FACS. It just gets tiring of people always making fun of our divison because were weak or not as good as everyone, it gets real old. But ill tell you this they do work hard and they are good, just they dont have the depth either like other teams. Now there are some teams in D-IIA that arent good, like Lighthouse(who is improving), Catholic; but there is bad teams in every class. But there is also good teams in D-IIA. Share your thoughts if you feel like it.

Edited by the muffin man

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is where I stand on Div II-A. And this is just my opinion. The players and coaches all work very hard. Nothing should be taken away from any success a Div II-A team has. That being said the two best teams in Div II-A, TRA and FACS have a combined record of 10 and 0. The records of the teams these two have played are 5 wins and 49 losses. Every year there are a couple of teams that could compete, not thrive, outside of Div II-A. The rest of the teams can barely field a team. Catholic, Lighthouse, Elliston, St. Andrews, King's Academy don't have the enrollments to compete with anyone inside yet alone outside Div II-A. Sure for a couple years Byrne or SBEC is tough. These two teams have lost almost all of their talent. My proof? Byrne and SBEC have been whipped by St. Benedict this year. St. Benedict although improved from year's past is the doormat of Div II-AA. Benedict has not won a Div II-AA game in at least 6 years. And yes, TRA and FACS are very tough this year, very tough inside Div II-A against opponents with a record of 5 and 49. Their schedule outside of Div II-A is bad MPSA schools and Byhalia, a two year old program that is the homecoming for every bad football team in TN. I honestly believe that the TRA v FACS game will a battle and a great game. They will turn around in a few weeks and play each other again for the Div II-A "state" (conference) championship. It will a great game, rings will be handed out, and memories cherished but in the end the "state' champion will have beaten the only other half way decent team in its own division. For TRA, FACS, Bishop Byrne, or SBEC to be taken seriously by anyone outside of Div II-A they will have to schedule and play someone outside Div II-A and Div I-A besides St. Benedict. So far to my knowledge only Byrne has done that. You asked so I've given my opinion.

Here is where I stand on Div II-A.  And this is just my opinion. The players and coaches all work very hard.  Nothing should be taken away from any success a Div II-A team has.  That being said the two best teams in Div II-A, TRA and FACS have a combined record of 10 and 0.  The records of the teams these two have played are 5 wins and 49 losses.  Every year there are a couple of teams that could compete, not thrive, outside of Div II-A.  The rest of the teams can barely field a team.  Catholic, Lighthouse, Elliston, St. Andrews, King's Academy don't have the enrollments to compete with anyone inside yet alone outside Div II-A.  Sure for a couple years Byrne or SBEC is tough. These two teams have lost almost all of their talent.  My proof?  Byrne and SBEC have been whipped by St. Benedict this year.  St. Benedict although improved from year's past is the doormat of Div II-AA.  Benedict has not won a Div II-AA game in at least 6 years. And yes, TRA and FACS are very tough this year, very tough inside Div II-A against opponents with a record of 5 and 49.  Their schedule outside of Div II-A is bad MPSA schools and Byhalia, a two year old program that is the homecoming for every bad football team in TN.  I honestly believe that the TRA v FACS game will a battle and a great game.  They will turn around in a few weeks and play each other again for the Div II-A "state" (conference) championship.  It will a great game, rings will be handed out, and memories cherished but in the end the "state' champion will have beaten the only other half way decent team in its own division.  For TRA, FACS, Bishop Byrne, or SBEC to be taken seriously by anyone outside of Div II-A they will have to schedule and play someone outside Div II-A and Div I-A besides St. Benedict.  So far to my knowledge only Byrne has done that.  You asked so I've given my opinion.

825359187[/snapback]

Nice opinion, but you still are not considering the enrollments of DII A schools. The enrollments at these schools are much smaller than other schools, and the facts are that DII A schools compete against teams their own size. Thats why there are classifications in High School Football. And this is the first year that St Benedict has beaten Byrne or SBEC. In the past that game has been over by halftime with the DIIA schools winning.

rebel qb, I think you missed my point. I already said If the Div II-A football teams want to get any respect from outside their conference they have to play tough teams and beat them. The only reason I brought up Benedict is that although they are better this year they still will not win a region game, for the 7th year in a row, since the beginning of the DI and DII split. Name a recognized good team form out of DII-A that a team has beat. A few years ago when Bynre was LOADED with talent, ie Charles Hampton they still lost to an ECS team that was down. You all want respect play and beat somone outside your region. The ONLY team that even schedules outside of DI -A and DII - A is Byrne. Yes I know your enrollments are small, but if you want respect get out of your backyards and play some big boys. Until then DII-A will not get the respect it may deserve.

Edited by muddycity

Good opion muddycity, giving you an update though, Rosemark plays Middleton, Gleason, Zion Academy, and Trinity Christian who all play in D-IA. FACS play 2 of these. Even thought teams like Middleton and Gleason are not very good it still a step outward to playing harder D-I schools. I know SBEC and Byrne both have played D-I schools and hard ones at that.

And also that there will be 12 teams in D-IIA next year if that helps any at all. The four new schools are David Brainerd, St. Georges, Elliston, and Davidson Academy. In case anyone cared.

Keep thinking that buddy B) .

825359698[/snapback]

I will keep thinking that.. name one team in recent yrs that a div IIa school has beaten and that team is actually respectable.. TRA, FACS, etc could not hang with the top private schools in the city for more than a quarter.. take what you want from that quote, but its the truth...

Good opion muddycity, giving you an update though, Rosemark plays Middleton, Gleason, Zion Academy, and Trinity Christian who all play in D-IA. FACS play 2 of these. Even thought teams like Middleton and Gleason are not very good it still a step outward to playing harder D-I schools. I know SBEC and Byrne both have played D-I schools and hard ones at that.

And also that there will be 12 teams in D-IIA next year if that helps any at all. The four new schools are David Brainerd, St. Georges, Elliston, and Davidson Academy. In case anyone cared.

Zion Academy, 2 and 3. Trinity Christian, 2 and 3. Ellsiton, who went 1 and 22 since 1999. POWERHOUSES!!! If you all want respect play someone else OUTSIDE of DII-A and the doormats of DI-A. There are some fantastic DI-A programs right around West TN.

Suggestions, USJ awesome program, JAckson Christian, West Carroll, South Fulton, just to name a few. Remeber you asked....

Edited by muddycity

Dude, we're VERY proud when we win a game, no matter, with only a total of 137 students in our entire highschool. With that being said, it is kind of hard to compete with some of the higher enrollment schools, be they Div 11 a or Div 11 aa or Div 1 a but we have won games against both. And what makes you think that with only a quarter being played (since no depth would come into the game) that we would get killed. The game of football is fooball. It is played the same way for everybody. True enough we don't have dozens to choose from to play all positions with only choosing the top ones but we could hold our own for a quarter I think. I agree with the fact that we will NOT get the respect from anyone cause everyone looks at it just like you but we work hard, prepare hard and play hard and if we win the championship game then we deserve it the same as you and we feel just as good as you do for that win. You know, I bet there was a time, even if yrs ago that your team had to get started too and was not so good and over time they got better. The so called "doormats" of Div 1 A will have their day too i bet and the Div 11 A schools will get better and some (depending on demographics) may even get bigger to move to Div 11 AA GO REBELS!