Bearden @ Campbell Co.

VolViking

After an impressive shut-out win over the Seiver Co Bears, the Campbell Co Cougars return home to host the Bearden Bulldogs for homecoming. 

The 4-2 Cougars (2-1 Region) are heading into uncharted territories for a Campbell Co football team.  In the school's 30 year history, 4-6 is the best record ever.  With an 1-5 Bulldog team coming to town, the Cougars look to gain magical win #5 at their expense.

But as ESPN's Lee Corso says, "Not so fast, my friend."  The Bulldogs are not going to walk into the Cougar Den and concede.  The Men in Orange had better be ready to play like they have since the 2nd half of the Clinton game, or a very promising season could sink quickly.

Eyebrows are being raised around the region with this Cougar team.  After the shutout of MoEast, the critics said MoEast was weak and had injuries.  After the 35-0 beating by Jeff Co., the "experts" said "same old Cougars."  The Cougars lost a close one to Clinton in their home opener and were written off, projected to win only 2 or 3 games.  Then South Doyle came to town in the monsoon that Ivan brought.  Chris Johnson broke out behind outstanding blocking and the Cougar D recorded their second shutout.  Scott Co. followed with a highly touted RB Wesley Smith and were sent home with a 39-12 beating.  Again the D dominated and Johnson ran wild behind excellent blocking.  But the critics said it was only Scott Co, so what?  Predictions for the Sevier Co game had the Cougars losing by as much as 21-24.  Guess what.  Opponents can't win if they can't score.  The Cougar D racked up their 3rd shutout at the home of a 5A Region quality opponent.  Why the season recap?  Because you can already hear the naysayers stating the Cougars are set up for a huge letdown.

However the ones that I listen to the most are the young men that make up this special Cougar team.  They are enjoying a special chemistry that is unthinkable with young highschoolers.  The D enjoys rising the the challenges they are confronted with.  Sevier Co's line was said to be too big and would manhandle the smaller Cougar D-Line.  Didn't happen.  Chris Johnson was said to be a "one trick pony".  That "one trick pony" gained 120+ vs. Sevier Co with exceptional blocking by his O-Line.  Even more surprising, as the game progressed, the smaller Cougars actually wore down the Bears on both sides of the ball.

Will the Cougars be prepared for the Bulldogs?  My gut feeling is absolutely.  Will the Cougars be overconfident and overlook Bearden?  Listening to the comments on the sideline last night, I don't  think so.  These Cougars know what is at stake and what it takes to win.  Bearden will come to town hoping to continue the string of bizarre homecoming upsets this year.  I think they leave trying to tuck their stubby tails between their legs.  More later after research is done on Bearden.

825364702[/snapback]

this cougar team is veryfocused on teh task at hand...no major injuries hae occurred which alos is a big plus fo CC...sit back and watch history being made at CCHS...look fo 7 or 8 wins this season and teh school's first ever trip to the land of playo thumb ffs

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ability to open holes by the CC line will once again determine the outcome of this one. Stiner needs to make better decisions. Special teams needs to be a bit better, especially the punt team. Defense needs to be their regular self. I say Johnson goes for 200, Stiner throws for 150, defense gives up 6 pts, offense gives up 6 pts!!!!, and......

Campbell Co. - 28

Bearden - 14

It is a lack of coaching by far as well as when your bad not many kids want to be in the program. I am gone from there but last year I know the defense was a lot better only giving up around 10 pts. a game. The offense was still behind and has been for a while. I just wonder how long it will be until the off. coaches are replaced because you can only stand losing for so long. The all around talent and coaching is not that great there so something has to be done.

Say what you want!  Give us some bulletin-board material!

Anyway, tough game.  We are improving.

825366257[/snapback]

bearden needs more than bulletin board material this week...the only bulletin board material theyare going tohave is teh newspaper clippings fromlast year's upset loss (was it really an upset...dont think so) and the newpaper clippings from this coming saturday's news sentinel...when the cougar defense hits hard over nad over, teh dawgs will lay down..watch history being made this friday night at CCHS...guaranteed!!! thumb

Bearden has Matt Reagan.  Probably one of the best Punters in the region.  Hopefully wont have to use him much Friday night. 

Chris Kelton is also a tremendous player.  about 6'5" 250 give or take a few pounds.

825367904[/snapback]

reagan will get losts of work friday night...watch the cougars get a blocked punt...

this cougar team is veryfocused on teh task at hand...no major injuries hae occurred which alos is a big plus fo CC...sit back and watch history being made at CCHS...look fo 7 or 8 wins this season and teh school's first ever trip to the land of playo thumb ffs

825368302[/snapback]

7 or 8 wins? lets get real. maybe 5 or 6 but come back down to earth. Over confidence will beat you as fast as anything.

no it's not overconfidence, it's realism at it's finest. right now we're sitting at 4 - 2 with Beardon (down), DB (can't beat), Science Hill (2nd string qb playing), and Karns (lucky) left to play. we're looking at going 3 - 1 in that stretch of games cause we can't be stopped. so history is in the making and playoffs here we come!!!!!!! thumb

no it's not overconfidence, it's realism at it's finest.  right now we're sitting at 4 - 2 with Beardon (down), DB (can't beat), Science Hill (2nd string qb playing), and Karns (lucky)  left to play.  we're looking at going 3 - 1 in that stretch of games cause we can't be stopped.  so history is in the making and playoffs here we come!!!!!!! thumb

825368545[/snapback]

\

Your right about DB.

Bearden probably right.

Science Hill. second string qb or not. better watch out and have a perfect game.

Karns. Lucky maybe the right word. Depending on the next few weeks you maybe lucky to get out of there with a win. (Remember Karns and DB last year) you never know which karns will show up.

7 or 8 wins?  lets get real.  maybe 5 or 6 but come back down to earth.  Over confidence will beat you as fast as anything.

825368516[/snapback]

overconfidence on mypart will not get me beat...i do not play for teh cougars...lets see...4 wins...games remaining with bearden (possible win), Science Hill (possible win---qb out with broken hand makes it an even bigger possibioity), and Karns (possible win)...although none of these games are a lock for a cougar win teh possibility is there...4 wins plus 3 wins = 7 wins...a possibility for sure but not a lock...

GO COUGARS!!!

overconfidence on mypart will not get me beat...i do not play for teh cougars...lets see...4 wins...games remaining with bearden (possible win), Science Hill (possible win---qb out with broken hand makes it an even bigger possibioity), and Karns (possible win)...although none of these games are a lock for a cougar win teh possibility is there...4 wins plus 3 wins = 7 wins...a possibility for sure but not a lock...

GO COUGARS!!!

825368681[/snapback]

Possibility for sure. Not a lock. good luck to ya. but better get past this week first.