College wrestling

ijtx

I spoke with a college coach here in Tennessee a couple of weeks ago. He is seeking input from high school coaches in hopes of finding kids to sign. He told me he sent letters out some while back and hasn't heard from the first coach.

I dare say there are slots available for kids if they'll seek them out; but first you have to let the college coaches know you have a kid that can, and will, be able to make the grade. Kids don't have to be state champs in order to get a scholarship. Based on what I learned, they just need to be willing to commit to hard work.

My advice to any kid wanting to wrestle in college is to visit college web sites and start e-mailing the respective coaches. I think you'll be surprised at the interest you'll draw.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am also availiable if there are any guys out there need any help at all in deciding where to go, or if you just need to know how to get in contact with any college coaches. While i was the President of Wrestling at Middle Tennessee State, I was able to build a relationship with several coaches in the Southeast area. I can be contacted at Matmantn@hotmail.com, or mtsuwrestling@hotmail.com

I had a very nice telephone chat with the coach at Cumberland University. A most impressive young man. His enthusiasm came through. He told me he had sent letters to coaches (I don't know where or how many) seeking their input on potential recruits. At that time, he'd received no replies.

The point I wanted to make in my post is: If a young man has talent and dedication, and is willing to pay the price; it's possible to get a scholarship to wrestle. I used to think a kid had to be a state champ, or runner-up to get a look - not true.

I hope coaches, dads, and interested kids will start their campaign to make themselves known. That is...if they truly want to commit to some hard work.

I'll bet Hamm could tell us about that.

Edited by ijtx

ijtx,

Which coach at Cumberland did you talk with? I am just interested because we have recently developed a good relationship with one of the coaches there and I was wondering if you were talking about the same gentleman. If so you couldn't have put it better when talking about his enthusiasm for our sport. Our wrestlers have benefited so much from the time he has spent with us.

Coach Jared Swint was thoughtful enough to call me in response to an e-mail I sent him re: my senior son at Notre Dame High School. We had a nice long chat and I learned a ton of information about wrestling on the college level. I also developed an appreciation of how tough it is for college coaches to stay abreast of the high school wrestling scene.

They want to hear from kids, coaches, and families who want a wrestling scholarship. I don't mean to imply that it's easy to get one because it isn't; but with hard work, desire, and talent (in that order) it's possible.

Thanks for letting us know who is sending out information about their program. Is this the program in Kentucky or the one in Lebanon TN? I am glad they are sending out information about their school. Next time you see that coach you might want to suggest that he go visit some high schools and he might even shake the hands of the high school coaches. I even have a great thought! He might even put on a clinic for the area wrestlers so he can get to know the wrestlers and the coaches. It is funny, the coach from West Point puts on a clinic in Nashville, and I don't remember the coach from Cumberland University ever doing such a thing. You might want to suggest to the Cumberland coach to be more active with the Tenn wrestlers through personal contact and not just the pony express.

Thanks for letting us know who is sending out information about their program.  Is this the program in Kentucky or the one in Lebanon TN?  I am glad they are sending out information about their school.  Next time you see that coach you might want to suggest that he go visit some high schools and he might even shake the hands of the high school coaches.  I even have a great thought!  He might even put on a clinic for the area wrestlers so he can get to know the wrestlers and the coaches.  It is funny, the coach from West Point puts on a clinic in Nashville, and I don't remember the coach from Cumberland University ever doing such a thing.  You might want to suggest to the Cumberland coach to be more active with the Tenn wrestlers through personal contact and not just the pony express.

825404252[/snapback]

John young, one of the assistants at Cumberland, has been down to Memphis and put on a mini-camp for our wrestling team twice since this summer. We were lucky enough to meet up with John at the Granby camp this summer where many of our wrestlers went and he has been coaching for about 10 years. They actually have a very good coaching staff there and I think they will be more active as time comes.

takedown:

Good points, all. The program I was referring to is Cumberland University, located in Lebannon, TN. Not to confused with Cumberland College in Williamsburg, KY.

The purpose of my post was to let young men know that you don't have to be a beast in order to continue a passion for wreslting in college. I hope kids desiring a wrestling scholarship will diligently pursue their goal and not get discouraged. There's an old true saying: It pays to advertise.

How many schools in TN actually HAVE wrestling? Are there any other than UTC, Cumberland U, Carson-Newman? So many schools have dropped their programs. It makes it kind of limiting to a TN kid who wants to wrestle at the college level and get the HOPE scholarship and pay in-state tuition.