Impact of Weight Certification

Suspect

Given all the concern about the weight certification program, has anyone seen or heard any shocking consequences of the program. That is ,

1. Have any ranked wrestlers been pushed into higher weight classes?

2. Are any teams going to have lower weight holes in their lineups because of the program?

3. Know of any bulked up football players that will have to wait until late December or January before they get to their target weights?

Maybe it's too early to tell. It will be interesting to see team rosters once the season's matches begin.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The weight cerification will have some impact on a few teams, but there are ways around it. I've heard many things like cut weight til ur like 4 or 5 lbs under your target weight and then drink that weight back in water and then do ur test... or do the same thing then down a gatorade right before you go do the hydration part and i'm sure there are many more... This test has affected some teams i know of just by putting gaps in their lineup so who knows what's gonna happen with it

The weight cerification will have some impact on a few teams, but there are ways around it.  I've heard many things like cut weight til ur like 4 or 5 lbs under your target weight and then drink that weight back in water and then do ur test... or do the same thing then down a gatorade right before you go do the hydration part and i'm sure there are many more... This test has affected some teams i know of just by putting gaps in their lineup so who knows what's gonna happen with it

825407931[/snapback]

ok... ive already taken the test, passed it and all, but i want to cut to 119 and they said my lowest weight possible was 120.8, could i retake the test and do this ^^^^^ or do i have to stick w/ the results of the 1st testing?

What happens if a kid can't pass the hydration test?

825408170[/snapback]

If a wrestler fails the hydration test the entire process ends there and they may not certify that day. Then the wrestler will have to schedule a make up date and pass the hydration test and fat test then.

Edited by WrestleSBA

Zeke,

You don't have to appeal. You, your parents, your coach, and your doctor must fill out the form that states that you would be healthy to drop an additional 2% (of the weight class) from the 7% weight. At 7%, you're weight would be 120.8. With the 2%, you can drop an additional 2.38 lbs. That would let you certify at the 119 lb weight class. Make sure the form is sent to TSSAA and your coach keeps a copy.

I'm sure the program will affect 103 and 112. It seems that most people under 115 are already less than 7% fat. So all those guys that normally lose 1 or more pounds to go to those weights will not be able to now. I think there will be a lot more forfiets at 103. Luckily we have an 88 pound rookie.

I'm sure the program will affect 103 and 112.  It seems that most people under 115 are already less than 7% fat.  So all those guys that normally lose 1 or more pounds to go to those weights will not be able to now.  I think there will be a lot more forfiets at 103.  Luckily we have an 88 pound rookie.

825408403[/snapback]

Not sure if you will see that many extra forfits at 103 because of this rule or not. We generally have trouble fielding a full time (but not anymore) and we have three guys that will be at 103 assuming we don't shake any of them loose. We may be the exception rather than the rule though.

Here's what I see happening.

Dream team normally has several wrestlers entering the season at 150-160. Within this group the team normally finds its 140, 145, and 152 wrestlers.

The new system creates two possible problems. First, the system may tell the team that none of the wrestlers can cut to 140. So be it. That's good for the boy's health to protect them from cutting too much weight.

The second problem is more likely. One of the wrestlers is elligible to cut to 140 but must get there at the rate of 3 pounds per week. It could take a month or more for some guys to get to their target weight.

This is even more of a problem for the football players who have to keep their weight up through playoffs.

There may be some odd looking rosters during November and early December.

ok...  ive already taken the test, passed it and all,  but i want to cut to 119 and they said my lowest weight possible was 120.8,  could i retake the test and do this ^^^^^  or do i have to stick w/ the results of the 1st testing?

825407946[/snapback]

As CoachBray said, since you are over 7% body fat, you get the extra 2% body fat reduction. However, those that are already below 7% do not get this reduction. Additionally, it is possible to recertify for a higher weight class during the season, but you can not recertify for a lower weight class.

I don't see how an electronic scale and a piece of paper can tell a kid how his/her body will lose weight once the season's practices roll around on the 1st. I have seen guys that weigh 180 on the 1st weight 165 a week later with him eating 4 times a day and drinking anything but soda... How can they determine what weight class he will go when he is not even in shape yet or has even thought about the upcoming season..

I don't see how an electronic scale and a piece of paper can tell a kid how his/her body will lose weight once the season's practices roll around on the 1st.  I have seen guys that weigh 180 on the 1st weight 165 a week later with him eating 4 times a day and drinking anything but soda... How can they determine what weight class he will go when he is not even in shape yet or has even thought about the upcoming season..

825409049[/snapback]

Our guys are already in shape and have been thinking / working on the upcoming season for 7 weeks. Different strokes for different folks. Are they in 100% ready for competition shape? No, but they are well on their way. The majority of our wrestlers that tested are within 10 pounds of where they will wrestle this year.

Edited by CoachDelgado