LaToya Bellamy - Westview

Kaitlin Dudley - Gibson County

Jena Roney - Obion County Central

Valerie Walker - Crockett County

Alicia Walker - Crockett County

Bianca Thomas - Chester County

3A

Sha Brooks - Jackson North Side

This summer there was a Meagan Price that played AAU ball with our girls from Martin. I believe that she made all-district and all-region. She appears to be a great ballplayer. Can someone from the Gleason area give us her stats? I don't know alot about her.

Also, we have a girl here at Westview named Leigh Ricketts that will surprise a number of people this year. Also we have a two young guards named Megan Witherspoon and Laura Crittendon that will be much improved.

GO WESTVIEW LADY CHARGERS!!!!!

How come when people talk West Tennessee BB they don't talk about Memphis? What about LaToya Bullard, Jessica Jackson (Memphis Craigmont) and Aleshia Easley and Melissa Liebschwager (Memphis Briarcrest)? Bullard and Jackson both have scholarships to U of Florida and Liebschwager is going to Fuhrman and could have gone on scholarship to LSU...While my daughter is not yet in HS, I've noticed on this website, that West TN BB players are largely overlooked. I'm not a native Tennessean, so I don't know if there's some history here, or if most of the people who post here are from middle regions of TN. Can someone help me understand? Thanks in advance!

Martell, the best advice I can give you is for you to not hold your breath waiting for an answer. Your concern is something that has been expressed and questioned ad nauseum, but with no reply from anyone. The best way I can explain it is that people make up their own little rules to exclude Memphis from West Tennessee which is just plain ridiculous. No other city in the state gets excluded from the section of the state where it is located (e.g. Knoxville is East Tennessee, Nashville is Middle Tennessee and so on and so forth).

I guess its easier to eliminate the Memphis teams from consideration if you support "West Tennessee" teams so that the team that you support is looked at a little better--I guess it adds to the status/performance/quality of the team if that team doesn't have to compete with the better teams in that portion of the state. What surprised me, however, is that although people try to classify Memphis as its own section of the state, when the substates/sectionals are played, the very teams that are included in the "West Tennessee" classification have to play the teams from Memphis which is in *gasp* WEST TENNESSEE. I hope that helps explain it a little bit for you :D

How come when people talk West Tennessee BB they don't talk about Memphis? 

825417154[/snapback]

One of the reasons is that West Tennessee is made up of mainly rural areas and small towns - other than Memphis and to some extent Jackson - and our media does a pretty good job of covering the high schools so that most people know about the players and the teams. That is not the case in Memphis. The main media you have is the Commercial Appeal and while they do cover prep sports, it is usually limited to just one day and they have one page for all of the information. Plus, most - if not all - of the radio stations do not cover the games. Therefore, we don't know about some of the players in the Memphis-Metro area unless we see them or hear from people like you.

How come when people talk West Tennessee BB they don't talk about Memphis?  What about LaToya Bullard, Jessica Jackson (Memphis Craigmont) and Aleshia Easley and Melissa Liebschwager (Memphis Briarcrest)?  Bullard and Jackson both have scholarships to U of Florida and Liebschwager is going to Fuhrman and could have gone on scholarship to LSU...While my daughter is not yet in HS, I've noticed on this website, that West TN BB players are largely overlooked.  I'm not a native Tennessean, so I don't know if there's some history here, or if most of the people who post here are from middle regions of TN.  Can someone help me understand?  Thanks in advance!

825417154[/snapback]

Another reason that most West Tennesseans do not include Memphis is because Memphis schools don't play anyone else in West TN. West TN has a majority of A and AA teams while Memphis has a number of AAA teams. We never hear anything about Memphis teams until tournament time.