Players kneeling when a player is down..

SuperBowlDream

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it should be done. It shows respect for the injured player(s). It could be anyone that gets injured. I was at a Union City game when the game was already decided and Union City player was injured while the Memphis Hillcrest huddle mocked him and made fun of him, this made me very irrate considering i think you should kneel anways. But on the matter of it being manadatory, no rule should say to, but the coach should tell the players what to do.

At Marshall County, I'm not sure if it was ever required to take a knee, but it seemed more like one of those unspoken gestures that was done out of respect. I remember some of the older players telling the younger guys to get down, but I'm sure it's not in any rulebooks. I view it as a sign of class and respect of a team.

• 4 weeks later...
I've seen several high school football games over the years.  I've been to most where when a player is injured, some teams kneel in a circle for prayer or a moment of silence, but most I've been to each player kneels on the sidelines while the injured player is being checked out.  I just recently went to a game where all the players but ONE kneeled.  I commented on it to a buddy sitting beside me, and he said that one particular player NEVER kneels.  It's surely not that he's not able because he's an active player. :unsure:   

What are your thoughts on whether a player should kneel during an injury for his or the other team?  Personally, I feel it's respectful, no matter whose player it is.  But what do you think?

825425344[/snapback]

East Robertson played westmoreland the last game of the season...while tackeling a boy from westmoreland he was hit and he was out, did not move...it was terrible!!! It was a big game on who would finish 3rd or 4th which made a big difference in our region. As soon as it happened, every boy on our team whether they played or not was down, this young man had to be air flighted to vanderbilt, our players never stood up except to get something to drink in that whole hour, once they drank something they were back kneeling!!! It was soo hard to start that game back with what was on stake for playoff's but knowing that this young man could possibly not walk again. All during the game we had parents calling vanderbilt or we had people on our side who had known some of the meds and all through out the rest of the game someone was calling someone on the phone to make sure that this young man was going to be okay. Our cheerleaders cried through out the whole ordeal and we finally got them calmed down. parents were crying because at any time any boy on any team this could happen too. It's every parents nightmare but we know that when a young man plays football. Our Coach, Coach Chatman might be critized for various reasons, but is main goal in coaching is that you ALWAYS have respect for the other team!!! As much as we were ripped off by ref's this year, especially to the point that someone on our team could had been seriously injured, especially against the Houston County team, you just want to strangle these refs who sit there and watch late hits especially in the lower back and makes you feel like, how would they feel if their son was being hit late on purpose to cause injury on purpose!!! I was just waiting to see if they hurt my son on pupose which they were trying, I'd be in jail if he had, but back to the Coach, you would be in more trouble if you did not respect a hurt player more than you would have been if you had missed a blocking assingment!!! My mother was there and said of any times that she had seen us play that this was the most proudest she had ever been of a team or Coach to have had his team do that!!! Thank God the young man was okay and East Robertson received the most thankful letter from the Westmoreland team thanking us for caring for a young man whose life was in doubt that night than worrying about trying to hurry up and play a ball game!!! They said that they had the utmost respect for our team and parents that they will never forget, ever. Our principal read the letter over the intercom that day!!! So as much as a team wants to win, and we all do, coaches, players, parents, but when someone is hurt as badly as that young man was, morals come first!!! As far as that team that you mentioned that you said the whole team kneeled but that one player who seemed to have gotten away with it and must have felt proud for it, we don't know what he's thinking, maybe he deals with grief in a different way, but no matter how he deals with it, his coach is the one to blame for letting this young man do that, it's his fault all the way, I also would like to know what his parents think? They are guilty too if they are there, how would they feel if that cocky boy was being air flighted to a hospital, I would think that they would appreciate that someone, especially the other team is praying for him!!! This man is still young and is wanting to be taught something, His coach is to blame first before anyone and then I would look at the boys parents!!! If that boy was on our team, even if he was the best player on the team, our coach would have suspended him, if he did it again, he would have been off the team with the backing of our principal!!! We want to win, but you don't have to be some cocky redneck thinking that he's big and bad because no-one made him kneel, actually standing up when the rest of his team had the respect to do what God would want us all to do actually made him look like the coward that would probably enjoy being the one that hurt the young man!!! The Coach is worse though, he is the grown up the same as some of those stupid ref's and his parents!!! Good subject...Thank you!!!

Personally because of my beliefs, I would kneel to pray for the injured player. That is the best thing someone can do. But at the same time, it should be optional for each person whether they pray, but you should at least kneel to show respect for the player and the team. Praying is up to the individual, but kneeling should be urged at least.

Personally because of my beliefs, I would kneel to pray for the injured player.  That is the best thing someone can do.  But at the same time, it should be optional for each person whether they pray, but you should at least kneel to show respect for the player and the team.  Praying is up to the individual, but kneeling should be urged at least.

825468433[/snapback]

Our Cheerleaders kneel when a player is down, it's a respect thing