Big Seven/Watauga Jamboree

TheIceMan

got to see my first live basketball of the season tonight at Sullivan North, so it follows that I should make my first Coach T post of the season. Here's what I saw:

Johnson County looks like they have improved their overall game and shooting. They beat a watered down Daniel Boone tonight. Granted Boone played everyone, second teamers and JV more than starters, but the Longhorns look like an improved team.

Happy Valley beat Sullivan East in a fairly close one, although HV had control pretty much the whole way and played alot more reserves than East. HV was playing with Powell who was injured. The young HV guards played well, as did Dugger and the posts. East is improved. I believe they scrimmage Elizabethton thursday.

Hampton got beat by Sullivan South, although it was close in the end. South pretty much controlled this game and substituted freely. Hampton seemed to go with their starters most of the way.

Elizabethton blasted Dobyns Bennett. The game was never close. Elizabethton went up by double digits early and never looked back. Both teams played everyone, substituting freely, sometimes five at a time. A downer for DB was a late injury to their talented guard Horton, who appeared to turn an ankle.

Unicoi was playing Tennessee High when we left and had the early lead. Significant was that Unicoi's two top guns were in street clothes. Is Fisher playing possum or are Weaver and Sparks really not able to play? Weaver was on crutches. I had heard that Sparks had turned an ankle last week and she appeared to be walking around fine. Anybody know the deal on Weaver's injury?

The freshman post Maynor looked good for Unicoi scoring their first two baskets.

Unicoi, when healthy, will be real good.

Science Hill was playing the nightcap against either North or Volunteer. Sullivan Central played the early game. Anybody else feel free to add their two cents here.

Watched jamboree also. Elizabethton score wasn't as it seemed. 13 of betsys first 15 points from foul line. After 6 minutes fouls were kingsport 8 betsy 1. It wasn't just Betsy game as sorry officiating as there could possibly be. Thats why they were running over a hour behind schedule. Tleast 30 fouls per game in 3 games I watched. In 16 minutes.

As foy Unicoi County Sparks is out for a couple more weeks and Weaver is scheduled for a MRI tom. on her right knee. Its at least a real bad sprain. Out indefinitly.

825436130[/snapback]

Coach Fisher confirmed pretty much what you said earlier today, 'nightmare.' I don't even want to think of Unicoi without either of them. Depending on the schedule, I would expect Coach Fisher to take PLENTY of time with both of these college prospects. They are very good, and very good together.

got to see my first live basketball of the season tonight at Sullivan North, so it follows that I should make my first Coach T post of the season.  Here's what I saw:

Johnson County looks like they have improved their overall game and shooting.  They beat a watered down Daniel Boone tonight.  Granted Boone played everyone, second teamers and JV more than starters, but the Longhorns look like an improved team.

Happy Valley beat Sullivan East in a fairly close one, although HV had control pretty much the whole way and played alot more reserves than East.  HV was playing with Powell who was injured.  The young HV guards played well, as did Dugger and the posts.  East is improved.  I believe they scrimmage Elizabethton thursday.

Hampton got beat by Sullivan South, although it was close in the end.  South pretty much controlled this game and substituted freely. Hampton seemed to go with their starters most of the way.

Elizabethton blasted Dobyns Bennett.  The game was never close.  Elizabethton went up by double digits early and never looked back.  Both teams played everyone, substituting freely, sometimes five at a time.  A downer for DB was a late injury to their talented guard Horton, who appeared to turn an ankle.

Unicoi was playing Tennessee High when we left and had the early lead.  Significant was that Unicoi's two top guns were in street clothes.  Is Fisher playing possum or are Weaver and Sparks really not able to play?  Weaver was on crutches.  I had heard that Sparks had turned an ankle  last week and she appeared to be walking around fine.  Anybody know the deal on Weaver's injury?

The freshman post Maynor looked good for Unicoi scoring their first two baskets.

Unicoi, when healthy, will be real good.

Science Hill was playing the nightcap against either North or VolunteerSullivan Central played the early game.  Anybody else feel free to add their two cents here.

825435959[/snapback]

You must have watched a different quarter of play than I saw. In reference to Kingsport and Elizabethton. At one time the score was 15-13 Eliz. With at least 10 of Eliz. points coming from free throws. Fouls wasn't exactly anywhere close.Eliz. was in 2 shot bonus before they had their 3rd foul called against them.With 10 minutes in quarter Kingsport put in 5 new players. Thats when the double digit lead started. Eliz. starters played till 5 minutes to go. Betsy played good ball but officiating was terrible. Don't know if anyones dad had anything to do with it or not.

As for the Unicoi vs Tn High game. I couldn't tell you much . Of forst 10 minutes I might have got to see 3 minutes. Eliz. players running in front of us in stands and standing up and talking. Finally had to get rude to be able to watch game. Game ended in a tie .

Im a little skeptical of these first time posters. Which team do you pull for "betsyisnothing"?

As for your statements, they are mostly not correct. Elizabethton was playing without starting guard Crapps to begin with. Shortly after DB put its second teamers in, at which time Elizabethon was ahead, Elizabethton put in three players. DB put its starters back in and the lead continued to grow. The cyclones put the rest of their bench in at the six minute mark and they finished the game. It was a twenty point game before DB hit a couple of late threes (starters in) to make it a fourteen point game. DB was also running their halfcourt trap(starters in) late in the game.

As for the fouls, the cyclones were going to the basket much harder than the Indians. The Indians were shooting outside shots.

Whining is for losers. Which the Lady Cyclones are NOT.

I assume you were referring to "betsyisnothing".

No doubt none of the coaches coached like they would a regular season game. Some took their foot off the gas more than others. Officiating was spotty too. Some real good officials and some not. Only difference between jamboree and scrimmage is the teams get introduced and wear their uniforms!!!

Bring on the real games!!

Whining is for losers.  Which the Lady Cyclones are NOT. 

I assume you were referring to "betsyisnothing".

No doubt none of the coaches coached like they would a regular season game.  Some took their foot off the gas more than others.  Officiating was spotty too.  Some real good officials and some not.  Only difference between jamboree and scrimmage is the teams get introduced and wear their uniforms!!!

Bring on the real games!!

825437168[/snapback]

Couldn't agree more! No coach shows what they are going to do during the regular season.Good Luck to all Upper East TN teams. Unaka must follow-up their state trip, Elizabethton is primed for a great year and Happy Valley must gain consistency.

Im a little skeptical of these first time posters. Which team do you pull for "betsyisnothing"?

As for your statements, they are mostly not correct. Elizabethton was playing without starting guard Crapps to begin with. Shortly after DB put its second teamers in, at which time Elizabethon was ahead, Elizabethton put in three players. DB put its starters back in and the lead continued to grow. The cyclones put the rest of their bench in at the six minute mark and they finished the game. It was a twenty point game before DB hit a couple of late threes (starters in) to make it a fourteen point game. DB was also running their halfcourt trap(starters in) late in the game.

As for the fouls, the cyclones were going to the basket much harder than the Indians. The Indians were shooting outside shots.

825436925[/snapback]

[/

DB never did put the 5 starters back on floor at same time. Their coach was to busy questioning so many fouls called against them. 18 free throws in 15 minute quarter. Get real. But we will get it together.

Somebody else saw all the fouls.

EHS, HV girls impressive in jamboree

By Tim Chambers

star staff

tchambers@starhq.com

Happy Valley came out on the warpath while the Elizabethton Lady Cyclones caught the Dobyns-Bennett Indians in a foul mood. Cashing in on 16 of 18 attempts from the free throw line, 'Betsy knocked off the Tribe 37-23 in jamboree basketball action Tuesday night at Sullivan North High School.

Edited by betsyisnothing