Unaka

volleyballer8

Yes, volleyball8, they did go to state last season and lost in the first round to the eventual state champions, Clarkrange.

The Lady Rangers of Unaka have everyone back; no graduates last season.

They beat Unicoi County tonight in a Hall of Fame (game doesnt count in Won Loss column).

Was a not-so-well played game, and it should be added: Unicoi was without two outstanding starters, Weaver and Sparks. But overall Unaka looks like they'll be good and deep, as will Unicoi.

B)B):o

Score and some game details please.

825442341[/snapback]

Unicoi was impressive. Unaka won by, about seven points, I think. :D Final was in the mid-thirties for Unaka.

HOWEVER, Weaver will return as soon as she can run on her bruised knee; she didn't suit up tonight. Hali Sparks also sat this one out. Unaka, quite bluntly, didn't look very good. Yes, it was the first game-type setting, but they have a long way to go to be where they need to be. I'm not using the two All-Staters absence as an excuse, but I'm sure you know their importance to the Lady Blue Devils' cause. Coaches Fisher and Chambers played deep into their line-ups.

Unicoi's freshman six-footer looks to be a star in the making. She is very strong, runs the court well, fouled out late, which I see as a good thing, willing to mix it up. Kerns, Lingerfelt, very steady, of course.

Neither team could buy a free-throw or LAY UP. When Amber Kerns is missing free-throws, something's wrong. Unaka was five of twenty-plus from three-point range. At least one of the Unaka guards has to hit from outside to keep the balance. Coty Townsend had seven points and two steals in the third quarter; otherwise it might have been lights out for Unaka. Roberson was dominant at times, but game was called very tightly underneath.

Thanks. No surprise that Unaka won this one, especially with Unicoi minus Sparks and Weaver. Sounds like a good defensive struggle, and no doubt Mainer will be a great player.

825442435[/snapback]

Agreed. On both your observations.

I might have been a little too critical of the Rangers. Your mention of the "defenses" reminds me of what Coach Fisher said after the game. {Paraphrasing of course} Unaka does so many things, and so many things very well defensively. He, (Fisher) was "very pleased" that his guards, and especially his younger players managed the game as well as they did. There were, of course, many turnovers, but again, early season, plus youth.

Unaka, or Unicoi for that matter, never looked to have a good 'chemistry' on the court; but again, it's early. When the threes start falling, Unaka becomes a different ball club (but doesn't every team?)....

.... and.... when Weaver and Sparks start doing that two on two thing they're so good at, well, look out. They remind me of Byrd and McHale. OK, a much prettier version of Byrd and McHale. :D

Unicoi was impressive.  Unaka won by, about seven points, I think.  ;) Final was in the mid-thirties for Unaka.

HOWEVER,  Weaver will return as soon as she can run on her bruised knee; she didn't suit up tonight.  Hali Sparks also sat this one out.  Unaka, quite bluntly, didn't look very good.  Yes, it was the first game-type setting, but they have a long way to go to be where they need to be.  I'm not using the two All-Staters absence as an excuse, but I'm sure you know their importance to the Lady Blue Devils' cause.  Coaches Fisher and Chambers played deep into their line-ups. 

Unicoi's freshman six-footer looks to be a star in the making.  She is very strong, runs the court well, fouled out late, which I see as a good thing, willing to mix it up.  Kerns, Lingerfelt, very steady, of course. 

Neither team could buy a free-throw or LAY UP.  When Amber Kerns is missing free-throws, something's wrong.  Unaka was five of twenty-plus from three-point range.  At least one of the Unaka guards has to hit from outside to keep the balance.  Coty Townsend had seven points and two steals in the third quarter; otherwise it might have been lights out for Unaka.  Roberson was dominant at times, but game was called very tightly underneath.

825442406[/snapback]

Went over to check out both teams last night. Bothe teams played fairly good ball for this time of year.

Unaka has a good team makes sharp crisp passes and handles the ball real well. Officials made a good game ugly. Not calling fouls that should have been called the calling picky touch fouls. And way to many traveling calls on good plays by both sides

Unicoi County will be alright when they get all their players back. Mainer will be hard to stop after a little experience. She went out in middle of 2nd qtr. with 3 fouls and picked 4th real early in 3rd as did Lingerfelt. Then Mainer fouls out early in 4th with Kerns following. Fouled out on fouls that usually aren't called. It was reall hard on Unicoi County not having their 2 posts to go to. To even help set up plays. Kerns is going to have to start hitting the open players sooner if they are going have any success.Several times I saw Lingerfelt or other players wide open and pass wasn't made. All most looked like they would rather throw the ball away as to make the pass. Oh well I'd say Fisher is working on several of those things this morning. Especially shooting free throw after missing 20 last night. Thats a game loser.