Anne Marie Lanning... need I say more?

movers

RHS plays OHS tonight, come out and see one of the biggest rivalries in the state!

~~*~~(@ RHS)~~*~~

825472447[/snapback]

Oakland beat riverdale last night 57 to 44. It could of been a 20 point win but playing a team being coached by Grandstaff means you will not get the score run up on you. She called off the dogs with 3 or 4 minutes to go, and even allow Lanning to get 5 or 6 points at the end of the game just to keep from extending the game with a bunch of meaningless fouls.

After getting to see Lanning play, I agree she is a great player. However, I also got to see why she has the nichname of "fish". From what I could see this isn't because she swims through the defense, but because she is a great flopper. She could of gotten some Oscars for the performance she put on last night. It is hard to watch a good player stoop to cheap theatrics to help her team win. Maybe with a little more maturity she will stop the cheap stuff and consentrate on being a team player.

I look forward to seeing her play again.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Oakland
Oakland beat riverdale last night 57 to 44. It could of been a 20 point win but playing a team being coached by Grandstaff means you will not get the score run up on you. She called off the dogs with 3 or 4 minutes to go, and even allow Lanning to get 5 or 6 points at the end of the game just to keep from extending the game with a bunch of meaningless fouls.

After getting to see Lanning play, I agree she is a great player. However, I also got to see why she has the nichname of "fish". From what I could see this isn't because she swims through the defense, but because she is a great flopper. She could of gotten some Oscars for the performance she put on last night. It is hard to watch a good player stoop to cheap theatrics to help her team win. Maybe with a little more maturity she will stop the cheap stuff and consentrate on being a team player.

I look forward to seeing her play again.

825474405[/snapback]

couldnt agree more. i didnt want to be the 1st one to mention it but it was quite obvious. anne marie might wanna be careful there is a difference bewteen playing agressive and playing rough and she was right on that line last night. oakland didnt even really double team her and oakland made her a non-factor just like they did to the rest of the riverdale team :)

Guest Oakland
Oakland,

I couldn't get to the game in time to see the girls play. I would  appreciate any highlights.

I also agree with you about playing rough vs aggressive. The last player to skate the line in district 7 was Nikki Hughes from Blackman. I believe she got a number of Ts and was even ejected from a couple of games. She was also the one who tripped Sarah Riddle in her Sophomore year to end her season. Aggressive is to be expected but there comes a time when it has to be controlled. Lanning had better understand the difference or she might get a lesson on the court when she meets someone who plays the same way.

Burke might also need to settle her down before it gets out of hand. I know Hockenberry at Blackman was too concerned with winning to sit Hughes on the bench when she acted out, maybe Burke has more class.

825474754[/snapback]

highlights? well there really werent many. lanning kept them in the game until she started to miss in the 2nd quarter. riddle sat out a lot of the 1st half in foul trouble but still finished with 10pts and a ton of rebounds. almader contributed with 12pts, most of which came from behind the arc. asberry was the high scorer for oakland with 21 pts. riverdale never really had a answer for oakland's superior post game and when they did try to tighten things up down low, oakland would just knock one down from 3 pt range. very dominant performance by the lady pats............

but i agree with you on playing rough. lanning is a very tough player but wouldnt be too suprised if during a game a player gets tired of her rough play and wants to mix it up with her. right again, she reminds me a lot of nikki hughes and alana hicks of blackman, both who played very dirty

Edited by Oakland

Buick and Oakland,

Buick, you were not at the game so you do not know that Anne Marie is a "rough" player or not. And Oakland, you need to stop and think about some of the comments you make before you make them. Ree is not even a comparison to Nikki Hughes. I played with Nikki and I played with Ree and they have no similarities in the way they play. Anne Marie is an agressive player and not a "rough" player as you put it. She did fall a lot, but I have been to almost EVERY game this year and this was the first game that she has even hit the floor. After you said that about Ree, I wanted to make sure you and I were watching the same game so I went back and watched the film. Yes, Ree fell a lot, but she was gettin the crap beat out of her. The Oakland players were not doing it on purpose, but they were being just as agressive as Ree was. That was an intense game(intense because of the rivalry, not because it was close) and there are a lot of emotions going on in a game like that between both teams. Also, Ree got elbowed in the face, but I know that it was not on purpose both teams were just being agressive. Her eye is now black and she has a huge knot on her cheekbone she also has a bruse on her "tail" and her ankle is bothering her, to me it sounds like Ree was the one that came out with injuries and i dont recall any of the Oakland girls needing to be taken out because someone from RHS was being "too agressive" and caused an injury to them. Maybe, you should get your facts straight before you go posting comments like that on here. And to you five I have no idea where you got the idea that Ree's name is fish, I have never heard it and I have asked around and you are actually the first to ever mention it. I would like to know where you got that from. Yall should go to more then one game before you judge whether a player is too dramatic or whether she is too "rough". All of yall know Ree is one heck of a player and I have no idea what possessed yall to get on here and talk "bad" about her. This thread was not created for that purpose and you should start your own for any "trash" talk you want to do. Maybe you should call it "Anne Marie Lanning... she's real good, but we want to point out ALL her flaws to you because that is what we as humans do!" sounds like a good name to me.

Siegel Senior... do i know you?

Note: I am sorry it seems I got soo offensive about this, but would you not feel the same if someone said that about your sibling on a thread that you started just so people would take the chance to watch her when they could. B)

Edited by movers

Guest The_Siegel_Senior

:lol: you might just know I saw you in your Buchanan days and you werent half bad...you playing anywhere in college?? And yes your sister is an incredible athlete but I realize she is only human and has flaws but i wont pick them out on here...dont want you to hurt me thumb

Ha,

Yeah well i haven't the slightest clue who you are, and no i am not playing in college, long story, but if i could give anyone advice it would be "if you love it, dont give it up". Um, yeah i was alright at Buchanan, i played in high school too if you weren't aware so why continue to refer to Buchanan, oh yeah, and no i would not hurt you what makes you think i would hurt you? :lol:

Guest The_Siegel_Senior
Ha,

Yeah well i haven't the slightest clue who you are, and no i am not playing in college, long story, but if i could give anyone advice it would be "if you love it, dont give it up". Um, yeah i was alright at Buchanan, i played in high school too if you weren't aware so why continue to refer to Buchanan, oh yeah, and no i would not hurt you what makes you think i would hurt you? :lol:

825476702[/snapback]

I knew you played in high school...played last year, got to play with your sister a few times...must have been a special experience??? Yeah I understand the whole quiting thing...pulled it a few times myself...And friends told me you could handle them easily in a brawl...and they arent the smallest of people either!!! :lol: ...so is life going for Miss Scarlett Lanning??? but yes i must go to class now...ill get back on here when i get home...

And what about the five FRESHMAN which siegel has given some playing time in early season and have played a role in the success they have had so far. I applaud the siegel coaches for instilling confidence in this second year program for those which will be a part of the success in the coming years

Guest Oakland

movers,

your response is understandable. any loving sister/brother will always defend their siblings, so i applaud you.

My intent was not to compare anne marie to nikki hughes, she far from nikki as far as playing rough so i agree with you in that respect. You may have not noticed, but in my opinion anne marie was playing rough down low, throwing elbows,etc, i have already went over this stuff before but i feel that riverdale wont make it far unless she steps up and becomes a leader, i saw absolutely no leadership from her in the 3rd quarter when riverdale was struggling(actually that was the whole game) she was smiling in the 2nd half. now if you ask me, being down by 15+ against your rival is no laughing matter

I know rivalries are intense and both sides dont like each other, but oakland played agressive not rough like riverdale's team did

Buick and Oakland,

Buick, you were not at the game so you do not know that Anne Marie is a "rough" player or not. And Oakland, you need to stop and think about some of the comments you make before you make them. Ree is not even a comparison to Nikki Hughes. I played with Nikki and I played with Ree and they have no similarities in the way they play. Anne Marie is an agressive player and not a "rough" player as you put it. She did fall a lot, but I have been to almost EVERY game this year and this was the first game that she has even hit the floor. After you said that about Ree, I wanted to make sure you and I were watching the same game so I went back and watched the film. Yes, Ree fell a lot, but she was gettin the crap beat out of her. The Oakland players were not doing it on purpose, but they were being just as agressive as Ree was. That was an intense game(intense because of the rivalry, not because it was close) and there are a lot of emotions going on in a game like that between both teams. Also, Ree got elbowed in the face, but I know that it was not on purpose both teams were just being agressive. Her eye is now black and she has a huge knot on her cheekbone she also has a bruse on her "tail" and her ankle is bothering her, to me it sounds like Ree was the one that came out with injuries and i dont recall any of the Oakland girls needing to be taken out because someone from RHS was being "too agressive" and caused an injury to them.  Maybe, you should get your facts straight before you go posting comments like that on here. And to you five I have no idea where you got the idea that Ree's name is fish, I have never heard it and I have asked around and you are actually the first to ever mention it. I would like to know where you got that from. Yall should go to more then one game before you judge whether a player is too dramatic or whether she is too "rough". All of yall know Ree is one heck of a player and I have no idea what possessed  yall to get on here and talk "bad" about her. This thread was not created for that purpose and you should start your own for any "trash" talk you want to do. Maybe you should call it "Anne Marie Lanning... she's real good, but we want to point out ALL her flaws to you because that is what we as humans do!" sounds like a good name to me.

Note: I am sorry it seems I got soo offensive about this, but would you not feel the same if someone said that about your sibling on a thread that you started just so people would take the chance to watch her when they could. :)

825476630[/snapback]

Mover,

take a deep breath, relax and have time for a little reality check.

It is very nice that you think that in your opinion your sister is a "phenom" and that you want everyone to know about her. But you put your opinion on a public forum, which encourages other people to voice their opinion of your sister. Not everyone is going to agree with you.

Now if you go back and read the three posts from five, oakland, and buick you will find that all of us agree that your sister is a fine player, but we feel that as a young player she has to learn where the line between agressive and rough is and how to stay on the correct side. In the case of Hughes she went over that line repeatly, including the lovely habit of tripping a player during transition. If she didn't do it to you personally, I am sure you had one of your teamates get tripped. She got so bad, she was personally cautioned by the TSSAA going into her senior year. I think the point being made was that we feel that your sister is good enough that she doesn't have to stoop to this type of "cheap tricks" to win, and Hughes was being used as an example of what you get when you let emotions blind you to where aggressiveness ends and rough begins.

Further, she is like a lot of young players who are agressive. She has discovered that aggressiveness worked when she was playing in grade school and freshman year because she is playing against girls who are not used to banging it up on the court. As she gets older, she will come up against players who are not intimidated by aggressiveness, and in fact are as aggressive or more so. I have seen a lot of young players loose their confidence when they can no longer intimidate the other players. It sounds like she met such a group when she played Oakland. She is going to meet a lot more as she plays in older age groups in AAU, and she is going to be in for a real shock if she plays college ball. I think the point all of the posts are trying to make is that she will be a better player when she scores only 12 points in a game but has 16 assists.

Now in fairness to you and your sister, I got hold of a copy of the game film and watched it from beginning to end. And I got to tell you your sister in my opion is a rough player. The best example that I can give you is when she is coming up the floor with the defense in front of her and she repeatly runs into the girl in front of her who is backing up as they goes down the floor. She will run into the girl, push into her with her arms and then fling them into the air looking at the ref for a foul call. There are a number of other instances, but this one was the most obvious.

As far as the name fish that five mentioned, during my years as a ref, we used this name for the "actors" who loved to hit the floor trying to draw a charge. They looked like a fish thrown on the deck of a boat flopping around. I have not heard this nick name used in reference to your sister, but after seeing the flop she took in the second minute of the game against Riddle, I must say that she is really good at it. Now before you think I am picking on your sister, let me say that it is one of the best flops I have seen in the 20 plus years I have been watching or reffing this game, great timing, good balance, and perfect execution. No ref in the business would not give her the call.

If you don't beleive that it was a flop, do what I did for you and watch the film with an open mind, and then ask your sister.