UTC Wrestling....

Hamm

Did anyone read the Chattanooga Times article on Justin Otis? I found an article on it in the University Echo....

Otis is the starting 174lber on the team.

you can view the article here:

http://www.utcecho.com/news/2004/12/02/New...pe-820166.shtml

here is the article if you cannot view it....

Police arrest student for rape

By Chloe Morrison

Published: Thursday, December 2, 2004

Article Tools: Page 1 of 1

A UTC student and wrestler was charged with rape and arrested by UTC Police at 5 a.m. on Sunday, Nov. 28.

Justin Michael Otis, a Martinez, Ga., freshman, was arrested after a woman accused him of having nonconsensual sex with her.

The woman had been in the 5000 building to "check on a friend" when she was offered a drink. The drink reportedly caused her to black out. She reported that she woke up naked with the suspect engaging in intercourse with her.

She then left the building, reportedly still very upset and intoxicated and unable to remember how she ended up in different clothes. She later called the police.

Otis was arrested and taken to the Hamilton County Jail.

Edited by Hamm

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is bad news and also sets up a tough call for Brands. Obviously if the paper and the girl's version is factual Otis is a real scumbag who needs to be kicked off the team , expelled from school and jailed. ( as the father of a couple of daughters myself I can think of a few more things that should happen to Otis if guilty but I'll hold my thoughts for now )

Does Brands boot Mr Otis now or wait for the wheels of justice to turn ? I am well aware of the concept of innocent until proven guilty but do you take the chance of one piece of trash infecting the whole team ?

Does Brands boot Mr Otis now or wait for the wheels of justice to turn ? I am well aware of the concept of innocent until proven guilty but do you take the chance of one piece of trash infecting the whole team ?

825465438[/snapback]

I hope that Coach Brands follows the proceedure that most respected veteran coaches use when an athlete is accused of something this serious; suspend them from competition until the issue is fully investigated and then take appropriate action once all the facts are known.

I don't know this young man and he may be guilty as charged, but these are serious charges that can damage him for life as well as a serious crime and if commited can damage the victim for life. I recall a receiver/kick off returner for the Vols a few years back that was accused of a similar crime. I don't recall his name, but he lost almost his entire senior season and was later cleared of any wrong. These situations are where a college coach really earns his salary.

walkenvol...In yesterday's paper it said Brands has initially suspended Otis for 5 matches based on the accusations.

Here is the artice from the Chattanooga Times Free Press:

UTC wrestler charged with rape of student

By Beth Rucker Staff Writer

A University of Tennessee at Chattanooga wrestler was arrested and charged with rape Sunday morning, according to a UTC police incident report.

Justin Michael Otis, 19, a freshman from Martinez, Ga., was charged with raping a woman who came by his UTC Place apartment to check on one of her friends about 1 a.m. Sunday, according to the report.

"She was offered a drink when she arrived," officers stated in the report. "The victim advised that after drinking the drink she became very intoxicated and blacked out."

According to the incident report, when the victim woke up she was naked and the suspect was having sex with her.

Mr. Otis was arrested, taken to the Hamilton County Jail and released on bail later that day, records show.

University spokesman Chuck Cantrell said Mr. Otis will face a student conduct investigation along with the criminal investigation by the police and Hamilton County district attorney.

"Our campus police are working with the Chattanooga police and the DA’s office," he said. "There are still a lot of unanswered questions."

Mr. Cantrell said Wednesday that Mr. Otis has been suspended from five wrestling matches based on the accusations. He said the suspect could be subject to further punishment as a student athlete.

Terry Brands, UTC’s wrestling coach, declined comment on the incident and referred all questions to Mr. Cantrell.

I hope that Coach Brands follows the proceedure that most respected veteran coaches use when an athlete is accused of something this serious; suspend them from competition until the issue is fully investigated and then take appropriate action once all the facts are known.

I don't know this young man and he may be guilty as charged, but these are serious charges that can damage him for life as well as a serious crime and if commited can damage the victim for life.  I recall a receiver/kick off returner for the Vols a few years back that was accused of a similar crime.  I don't recall his name, but he lost almost his entire senior season and was later cleared of any wrong.  These situations are where a college coach really earns his salary.

825465482[/snapback]

BYU's football coaches are bonused for not allowing these kind of things to crop up. These are pretty healthy bonuses too. This includes recruiting atheletes that will aree to keep school standards while enrolled. Tough job today, obvously. By the way BYU's coach is now getting fired after a few new recruits did similar things in recent months + the AD is already gone.

BYU's football coaches are bonused for not allowing these kind of things to crop up.  These are pretty healthy bonuses too.  This includes recruiting atheletes that will aree to keep school standards while enrolled.  Tough job today, obvously.  By the way BYU's coach is now getting fired after a few new recruits did similar things in recent months + the AD is already gone.

825465500[/snapback]

I just wanna clear this all up and tell all of you people who are making judgements before you know the true story that all charges were dropped and the Justin Otis is a great wrestler and a great person. Eveyone makes mistakes and he happened to be in the wrong place a t the wrong time.

It is bad news and also sets up a tough call for Brands. Obviously if the paper and the girl's version is factual Otis is a real scumbag who needs to be kicked off the team , expelled from school and jailed. ( as the father of a couple of daughters myself I can think of a few more things that should happen to Otis if guilty but I'll hold my thoughts for now )

825465438[/snapback]

Maj.

You really shouldnt start name calling and bad mouthing people who 1)you dont know 2) dont know the true story.

BYU's football coaches are bonused for not allowing these kind of things to crop up.  These are pretty healthy bonuses too.  This includes recruiting atheletes that will aree to keep school standards while enrolled.  Tough job today, obvously.  By the way BYU's coach is now getting fired after a few new recruits did similar things in recent months + the AD is already gone.

825465500[/snapback]

Thank you Soms for making my point. Many folks assume that if someone is accused of a sexual crime in particular, then they are guilty. Coach Brands demonstrates how such an accusation should be taken very seriously, but not judged until all the facts are known. Jason Respert of the Vols was accused but not convicted of sexual charges on a recruiting trip to Florida 5 years ago. He's gone on to become one of the Vols captains and apparantly a model student athlete during his time there.

Do BYU students take agree to remain celebate while enrolled? Are you saying that a few (3 or more) BYU football players have been convicted of rape or were they found to have had consentual sex? I thought Colorado was having problems.

Maj.

You really shouldnt start name calling and bad mouthing people who 1)you dont know 2) dont know the true story.

825465513[/snapback]

I don't think that Maj, was calling Otis out of his name. He DID say "if these accusations are true".

I haven't noticed anyone trash Otis, or "assume" that he was guilty. There has only been a lot of what ifs, and what should they do.

I personally consider Otis a friend. I have no clue about what happened that day, other than what i have been told, but I do pray for Otis and his family, as well as the young lady in this situation and her family. I did make this post to let everyone know what was going on, and maybe I could get other people on this board to do just what I have done.

Did anyone read the Chattanooga Times article on Justin Otis?  I found an article on it in the University Echo....

Otis is the starting 174lber on the team.

you can view the article here:

http://www.utcecho.com/news/2004/12/02/New...pe-820166.shtml

here is the article if you cannot view it....

Police arrest student for rape

By Chloe Morrison

Published: Thursday, December 2, 2004

Article Tools: Page 1 of 1

A UTC student and wrestler was charged with rape and arrested by UTC Police at 5 a.m. on Sunday, Nov. 28.

Justin Michael Otis, a Martinez, Ga., freshman, was arrested after a woman accused him of having nonconsensual sex with her.

The woman had been in the 5000 building to "check on a friend" when she was offered a drink. The drink reportedly caused her to black out. She reported that she woke up naked with the suspect engaging in intercourse with her.

She then left the building, reportedly still very upset and intoxicated and unable to remember how she ended up in different clothes. She later called the police.

Otis was arrested and taken to the Hamilton County Jail.

825465428[/snapback]

Ok...I have an opinion about the situation. Myself being a girl would usually take a girls side but not this time. Ok why was she checking on a friend so late at a dorm? But MOST OF ALL...why would you take drinks from a guy, in HIS dorm, when you dont even know him. How stupid is that? So she blacked out because they were wasted and when she woke up they were having sex? If she was that wasted what is there to say that she didnt lead him on or agree to having sex with him? Why would she put herself in that situation? That is SO stupid! I hope he isnt charged guilty...I hope it is looked at from both angles. <_<:huh:

Thanks to Hamm for pointing out I did preface my comments with " If " the charges are true.

As for the woman's opinion offered , and her conclusion the girl is somehow at fault, it may be wise to withhold your support for Otis until more facts are offered. Questioning the girls motives for being in the room and blaming her for taking sip of what may turn out to be a spiked drink sounds like a pathetic attempt to rationalize and excuse what may turn out to be criminal behavior. Just as there shouldn't be a rush to condemn the accused before the facts are known nor should a rush to alibi him either. Sounds like Brands has handled the situation appropriately given the limited information available