blount county champs?

GetSome188

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WB is good they have strong inside game and very good from the perimeter, but there point guard situatuion is a question and could hurt them against a good press defense.  Alcoa is back and better than ever with alcoa plating 12 deep them team is always fresh and will be running and gunning.

825476176[/snapback]

Coolkid,

Not sure where you are getting your scouting report, but you're kind of mixed up a little. Blount if fairly small, and while Jordan Glasgow and Josh Hilbert have good fundamentals and are quick and can shoot, "strong inside game" would definitely not be the line on this team. On the other hand, Trent Palmer is an excellent ball handling point guard, plus Lucas Wall and Aaron Eakins can handle the ball as well as most any other teams point guard. Add to that Mark McGill, Brady Messer, and Daniel Gonzalez and well ... it's awfully tough to press them. Ask Bearden and Farragut how well their press worked against the Governors.

Once the football players get their legs under them, I think everyone will be surprised at Maryville's depth. There are no big-time studs, just a bunch of scrappy, quality basketball players that play hard. I really look forward to watching them this year. You better come ready to play four quarters when you play us.

825468531[/snapback]

Sorry Rebelsman, but I disagree somewhat.

I think that Trey Brewer is a big time stud at the high school level. He is scrappy and he does play as hard as anyone I've ever seen, but he's got a ton of talent on top of that and I've never seen anyone with a better work ethic.

I'm a Maryville fan, but I honestly think that Alcoa is the team to beat. I remember them having a lot of guys coming back from last season and thinking that they'd be tough to beat. I also know that their coaches get absolutely as much as possible out of them.

I've not seen Heritage or Blount yet this season. Based on historical performances I'm not expecting much out of the Mountaineers and I expect to see Baumann having his guys playing out of their minds and above their pay grade.

Maryville is solid. I'm looking forward to seeing what the football guys add to the mix. They are playing excellent perimeter defense and are getting big contributions when needed from several different players. I echo what someone else said in that there is not a significant dropoff in talent among the top 8 or 9 players.

Sorry Rebelsman, but I disagree somewhat.

I think that Trey Brewer is a big time stud at the high school level. He is scrappy and he does play as hard as anyone I've ever seen, but he's got a ton of talent on top of that and I've never seen anyone with a better work ethic.

825478043[/snapback]

I certainly meant no disrespect for Trey. I also think he plays harder than any high school player I have ever seen. He plays so hard I am afraid he is going to hurt himself. I am so glad to see him healthy (for his sake).

What if he had played last year?

Edited by Rebelsman

I have to agree with those picking Alcoa to be the team to beat in BC. They've definitely got some big time talent and depth. Brandon Warren played one of the best games I've seen a post play in a long time last year against WB.

I understand the Bell kid either started--or played a lot--at Oak Ridge. Lankster just looks like he can dominate. And I understand there's a freshman kid--he transferred in from Knoxville I think--that might be as good as anyone on the team. Can't recall his name.

Add those three to all the talent they already have and they're scary.

Tonight's game at WB (with Maryville) should be exciting. Everybody's entitled to an opinion and mine is that Aaron Eakins will be the difference. But who knows?

I do know this. I have no favorite player (ok except for my son and daughter) than the one and only--JOEY KOONTZ. He's smart ... he's funny ... he's a handsome devil ... and he can shoot the lights out !!!

I'm a Maryville fan, but I honestly think that Alcoa is the team to beat. .

825478051[/snapback]

It sounds like they are better than last year. If that is the case, we may all be in trouble.

Alcoa and Maryville played both games last year to the buzzer. Do you remember the long pass down court to Nick Pasqua who shot the ball on the run and made it to beat us by one at Maryville? Brandon Warren was trying to throw the ball the length of the court to Derrell Dean in the corner. He threw the ball, it hit the backboard, Nick ran it down and made it. I think there was two second on the clock to run that play. I have never seen such a stunned crowd.

The game at Alcoa finished by Andy tipping the ball in at the buzzer to beat Alcoa by one.

I don't know if my feable heart could stand two more like that but it sounds like Maryville would be doing good to play that close.

I'll see ya tonight GovMan. I am looking forward to that game.

Edited by Rebelsman

I have to agree with those picking Alcoa to be the team to beat in BC.  They've definitely got some big time talent and depth.  Brandon Warren played one of the best games I've seen a post play in a long time last year against WB.

I understand the Bell kid either started--or played a lot--at Oak Ridge.  Lankster just looks like he can dominate.  And I understand there's a freshman kid--he transferred in from Knoxville I think--that might be as good as anyone on the team.  Can't recall his name.

Add those three to all the talent they already have and they're scary.

Tonight's game at WB (with Maryville) should be exciting.  Everybody's entitled to an opinion and mine is that Aaron Eakins will be the difference.  But who knows?

I do know this.  I have no favorite player (ok except for my son and daughter) than the one and only--JOEY KOONTZ.  He's smart ... he's funny ... he's a handsome devil ... and he can shoot the lights out !!!

825478417[/snapback]

Eakins may be the difference, but I'm really looking forward to seeing Trey D him up. That could get interesting really quickly.

Alcoa's gym and the "Marsh Pit" both stink.  My junior year we went to the new gym, the first year it opened, and the Alcoa administration made us move to the upper deck, we ended up breaking the bleachers, and we were still the loudest people in the dang place! :ph34r:

825477705[/snapback]

I guarantee you the Marsh Pit is 10 times louder than your students that broke the bleachers your junior year, big deal, we broke bleachers at William Blount, Fulton, and Kingston. The Marsh Pit will be as loud as every against Maryville this year, and we'll be the loudest people in the dang place.

Eakins may be the difference, but I'm really looking forward to seeing Trey D him up. That could get interesting really quickly.

825478532[/snapback]

I hope Trey likes running around, into, behind, in front of, over, and under screens because if he's on Aaron, he's gonna be seeing them all night. Sounds like he's the kind of kid that will probably eat that kind of thing up though. The bigger the task, the more he loves it.

You're right Papa, should be a great match up.