Hail Cyclones Praiseworthy in Defeat

krichunaka

We're headed toward Christmas, on into 2005 and then before you know it, March is upon us. Some of us have seen most of the teams that expect to factor into the district and regional finals.

To this point Cloudland appears ready to push Unaka for the regular season conference title. I don't think so; but what do I know? Well, I know that the Rangers are the one team that has proven depth, the kind of depth, quality depth that wins not just games, but titles, in both regular season and tournament action.

Tiffany Babb is the other six-footer to go along with Julie Roberson that the Rangers will need to win consistently on the road and neutral courts.

Unaka has the best "pair" of guards around; Rene Ensor and Jessica Osborne are capable of taking over a game from outside.

Cody Townsend is as good at wing, offensively and defensively, as you'll find. Danielle Ensor is improved and her shooting and her passes to the post have been excellent.

Lacey Gouge brings senior experience and privides quality minutes at all positions. Megan Johnson, Kelly Allen and Sallee Taylor make Unaka a ten deep ball club.

But the Story of the season so far.... is The Lady Cyclones of elizabethton.

Rikki Baughman - Rebounds, blocked shots, put-backs, free-throws, point guard. Tough, sneaky, determined.

Michaela Pietrowski - Saturday night against a tremendous All- America-type player, Michaela more than held her own. She was point-for-point, rebound-for-rebound, battle-for-battle up to the task.... until the final buzzer.

Valneesha Redd - She sometimes loses the ball, she sometimes misses shots badly. But back off her, try dribbling past or shooting over her and she can unleash heartbreaking results; she can dominate from outside, by driving to the basket or with pressure defense.

It gets a little blurry for the Cyclones after the Big Three. They have a fine shooting guard in Cameron Crapps. Victoria Hopson is going to be very good.

Eden Treadway is readying for more playing time, and could be a big key as March approaches.

Marti Bush is scrappy, very smart and has a beautiful stroke at the free throw line. Would be great to see her have time to settle in for more than spot duty.

Courtney Towle is a quick, talented point guard; but will she log enough minutes to help when the game, or even the season is on the line?

And there are more. How many of them Coaches Mike Wilson and Harry Farthing will be able to develop, and in time, is still the big question.

But anyone who questions the Lady Cyclones determination, toughness and spirit, well you should've been at Viking Hall Saturday Night.

Edited by krichunaka

Who did they lose to?

krich you can't write essays

it strays from the topic

but you'll learn one of these days :D

Your topic should have been "Top players for Cloudland, Unaka, and Elizabethton."

825468368[/snapback]

Thanks, Storm; however:

I prefer ESSAYS to RHYME,

Though it might take much more time.

My life is not about one-liners

Or trying to out-rhyme Whiners.

See ^ ^ ^ ^ that's why you're the poet.... and I know-it.

As to your best players suggestion: I didn't mention anyone from Cloudland, Hampton or Happy Valley; didn't want to make this too long, in the event YOU might be attempting to read it. ;)

I think that we'll do an area-wide "best-players-so-far" issue in the Sports Weekly or online after we enter the heart of conference play. And you'd no doubt laugh at my top dozen. In fact, why don't you start a Carter, Unicoi, Johnson County all-star thread (to include the Cyclones, of course).

Edited by krichunaka

Though you never like to lose, this loss will make Elizabethton better. They will not see many teams with that much athleticism. The two Division 1 players were tremendous and the Lady Cyclones went toe to toe with them. Rikki Baughman actually put up better numbers than either of them, with 19 points and 18 rebounds. Pietrowski and Redd also showed that they have enough talent to play with big time players. The J.J. Kelly team Elizabethton beat was also blessed with college level talent at the guard positions, so the 2nd place finish provided some excellent competition to toughen up the Cyclones.

And what's so impressive about the two signees? Well, the Redds can tell you how very demaning The University of Virginia is ACADEMICALLY. That speaks highly, not only for the player, but as well for her high school.

And Wake Forest? Try getting your little one into that little college in Winston Salem. Wake Forest is one of the most prestigious schools in our country. So, it isn't like the Lady Cyclones went up against a bunch of "dumb athletes." Those gals could flat out PLAY! But they obviously have high standards as well.

Just thought this worth mentioning.