District 3AAA observations

mocs30

After watching Oak Ridge get by Powell Monday night, I expected the Cats to win against Cleveland. Oak Ridge looks like a real solid ball club. The score of the Cleveland game surprised me. After having seen every team in District 3AAA now, I would say that the best player I've seen so far is Grant Domsic. He is just a very good ball player. He is about 6'1", athletic, strong, and he can handle the ball. I think Powell would have rolled over OR had he not been on the floor. He just made big play after big play for the Wildcats. He gets the nod over Jody Fersner of Karns, who has been a little more one-dimensional than I expected and Ben Ward of Powell, who is not starting games as well as he is finishing them. This is an extremely competitive district top to bottom, and this is how I have the teams ranked 1 through 7 and why.

1. Oak Ridge: Won at Clinton by about 15 and beat Powell by 14 at home, although that was a very close game until the the three minute mark. They are undeated in district play, although Clinton did beat them in Greeneville in a tournament over Thanksgiving.

T2. Clinton: Beat Powell, but they got to develop more of an inside presence to go with their very good guard play. Whitt is a very good scorer.

T2. Powell: Most size in the district and they are starting to gell the football players into the basketball swing of things. Look for Baron Huber to pick up more minutes as his experience level picks up.

4. Karns: Beat Halls on a buzzer beater and then got beat handily at Powell. This team has been a little disappointing so far. But they can beat anyone on their schedule on any given night.

5. Halls: Also a little disappointing. We'll keep an eye open for this team.

6. Central: I was going to put Campbell County here, but Central beat them by a dozen on Tuesday night.

7. Campbell County: They are an enigma. They played Oak Ridge to the wire, and then lost to Central. They get Powell at home Friday night with a chance to make a statement.

Edited by mocs30

Good post Moc.

1. OR until someone beats them. They are #1 because I think they are the only team they will play consistent on the defensive end. Why did Domsic leave Bearden?

2. Clinton inside game hurts them but guard play will enable them to win on most nights.

3. Halls good size inside and the best p.g. in the district. Halls is alot like Karns they don't like to play defense. Jody Wright takes this team to the sub state at least.

4. Powell Very good inside guard play must improve. If guard play improves throughout the year and can keep the defense honest they could easily be the team to beat. What I like about an Ogan Coached team is the have alot of fight in them.

5. Karns who knows. I have said it and will continue to say it. To soft on defense. Powells big men went wild against Karns. Everyone says they just couldn't match up. If that is the case you better put alot of pressure on the prerimeter. Karns will struggle because of poor d.

6. Central for the time being. Heck the beat Campbell Co. Still they don't pose much of a threat. Big game tonight vs. Halls. Cameron Sharp may score 40.

7. Campbell Co. I got news for you guys when you can't beat Central you could be in for a lon season. Maybe you did play a bad game. But even on a bad night a good team beats Central. I should know. I ahve been watching them play bad Basketball ever since Carringer left for O.R.

Good post Moc.

1.  OR until someone beats them.  They are #1 because I think they are the only team they will play consistent on the defensive end.  Why did Domsic leave Bearden

2.  Clinton inside game hurts them but guard play will enable them to win on most nights.

3.  Halls good size inside and the best p.g. in the district.  Halls is alot like Karns they don't like to play defense.  Jody Wright takes this team to the sub state at least.

4.  Powell Very good inside guard play must improve.  If guard play improves throughout the year and can keep the defense honest they could easily be the team to beat.  What I like about an Ogan Coached team is the have alot of fight in them. 

5.  Karns who knows.  I have said it and will continue to say it.  To soft on defense.  Powells big men went wild against Karns.  Everyone says they just couldn't match up.  If that is the case you better put alot of pressure on the prerimeter.  Karns will struggle because of poor d.

6.  Central for the time being.  Heck the beat Campbell Co.  Still they don't pose much of a threat.  Big game tonight vs. Halls.  Cameron Sharp may score 40.

7.  Campbell Co.  I got news for you guys when you can't beat Central you could be in for a lon season.  Maybe you did play a bad game.  But even on a bad night a good team beats Central.  I should know.  I ahve been watching them play bad Basketball ever since Carringer left for O.R.

825478642[/snapback]

You are probably right about Halls. I did not realize that they were 5-2. Their schedule has been a little soft. Regarding Domsic, I have no idea why he left Bearden, but I would really be interested in finding out. He might be a little bit like Kyle Cruze and not like playing for Blevins. Or, his family may simply have relocated.

I agree with you on most points.  However, I think you are being modest about Ben Ward.  I think he is the man of DIII-AAA.  While i agree Grant is a very good player, in the games i have seen him (one live, others on TV playback), he seems sometimes to overplay (tries too hard) and when gaurded intensely (such as in Clinton's case), he will lose the ball on a turnover.  Ben on the other hand can do it all.  He scores at will.  All Ben needs is a shave, haircut, attitude adjustment, and he will go anywhere he wants.  It's just a Powell thing I guess.  Just like at Hall's the thing must be ear rings.

825477459[/snapback]

I agree with you about the hair and the shave, but I've known Ben for a long time and I have never seen anything that would indicate that he needs an attitude adjustment. He does not back talk coaches and he rarely, if ever, draws a technical. In fact, he's pretty mild-mannered. I might like him more as a player if he played with a little more "attitude" if you know what I mean. Maybe that's what you meant.

Tonights scores:

Powell 72 - Campbell Co 56

Karns 67 - Clinton 58

Halls 67 - Central 63

Bradley Central 70 - Oak Ridge 65

Team....... W-L.... Win%... W-L.... Win%

OAK RIDGE.. 3-0.... 1.000.... 4-4..... 0.500

KARNS......... 2-1.... 0.667.... 5-2..... 0.714

HALLS........... 1-1.... 0.500.... 4-3...... 0.571

POWELL......... 2-2.... 0.500.... 5-4..... 0.556

CENTRAL....... 1-1.... 0.500.... 3-4...... 0.429

CLINTON...... 1-2..... 0.333.... 4-5..... 0.444

CAMPBELL C. 0-3..... 0.000.... 1-4..... 0.200

Edited by HiwasseeVol

I did not mean that his attitude was bad.  Quite the contrary.  What I meant was sort gain a little more confidence in his ability such that he could actually take over a game.  Sort of like try to be a little less humble and be a little more greedy to take it to the hole or take a shot.  Some might think that 34 points against Clinton the other night (even though Powell lost) was a lot of points, and it was.  But, I think Ben could have easily scored 50 that night.

I think the hair and shave thing is just a peer-pressure type deal.  Look through that.  Ben is a great kid, no doubt !

825479116[/snapback]

I gotcha. Couldn't agree more about Ben.

Good wins tonight for Powell and Karns!!!

Karns 73 - Knoxville Central 60

I think Jody Fersner had 37. Not sure of his final, but he had 23 at the half and 33 at the end of the 3rd. He didn't play all the 4th as Karns was up pretty big. Shipwash also hit about 3 or 4 3's in a row in the 3rd as Karns pulled away. Jody scored the first 10 or 13 points for karns to open the game.

I am curious about what makes a good defensive basketball team?What is the score,when you are a so-called good defensive team?I would like to find out which 3aaa team actually plays the best defense in bigcatt2 mind?

825479217[/snapback]

On the High School level I think a good defensive team will consistently hold teams below 60 points. Some team may get away with giving up low 60's and win because of great offense. Karns has been able to win their past 2 games becasue they have held teams in the 50's low 60's. Defense is the key on any level in Basketball. You are going to have some off shooting nights and your defense must win for you on those nights. You have to be able to grind out wins on those nights when to offense isn't clicking.

As far as the best defensive teams. Fulton, Austin East, William Blount, Bearden, Maryville. In District 3 AAA Oak Ridge maybe Clinton and Powell. Clinton and Powells defense is more about heart and effort they aren't very sound fundamentally nor consistent. After that I am not sure anyone in the District plays any D. Take Halls for instance right now they are having some success because they are able to score 70 points a night. But if they don't pick it up on the defensive end they are going to take their beatings against better teams. They have had to average players score 35+ on them the last 2 games.

The following principles are taught in the Clinton defense: stance, denial, helpside, strong foot close out, no middle drive, and blocking out. I think that you'll find that most successful programs teach much the same. Is Clinton's "D" unorthodox? - it would appear that way at times because of the good deal of trapping that appears random to the casual eye. I can assure you that the defense is not random as there are rules for the traps (based on opponents personnel, scouting reports, and general philosophy rules); I would compare this defense to teaching the true motion offense, where there are rules (depending on the program), but some freedom is allowed. I would agree it is not conservative (much like Oak Ridge), but it is fundamental as far as the philosophy of the coaching staff goes. I'm sure that Powell also has similar defensive rules. I agree that Oak Ridge, Powell, and Clinton typically play very hard on the defensive end.