Running up the score

NickyNeveil

30 and 50 points thats not bad!!!! get over it

825487505[/snapback]

Let me guess you are the senior JV player that sits at the end of the bench during every varsity game.

No 30 and 50 points isnt that bad unless the winning team is still in a full court press then it is rediculus.... Proof that the some coaches sprinkle themselves with "idiot powder" before each game.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me guess you are the senior JV player that sits at the end of the bench during every varsity game.

No 30 and 50 points isnt that bad unless the winning team is still in a full court press then it is rediculus....  Proof that the some coaches sprinkle themselves with "idiot powder" before each game.

825487517[/snapback]

That's pretty good Sportster. I don't think that the subs for the winning team should not play hard. They should give 110%. It's up to the coach to prevent the game from getting totally out of hand. You don't press or trap. Work on your half court man defense or better yet a zone.

This is not to you personally, milk. 

But please tell that coach that many of us fail to see the "Wisdom."

But what do I know?  ;)

825487548[/snapback]

And I bet that the Old Wise Coach was not very well liked in the High School Basketball Community.....

By the way which wise coach were you refering to????

Edited by Sportster

Its like Brandon Stokley from the colts said a few weeks ago to the Houston Texans defense. If yall dont want us to keep scorin then do somethin about it and stop us. Who cares if they run up the score or not, if it was your kids team you would want them to rip there hearts out and beat them by 90 points, just get over it.

825487701[/snapback]

I was fortunate enough that my kids played for two great coaches who would have never been in a full court press up by 30-50 points near the end of the game.....

They were alot better individuals than that.....

And NO I WOULD NOT HAVE WANTED TO "RIP THEIR HEARTS OUT".....

And by the way in one of their senior season they only lost 3 games and the other only lost 7 games their senior season - so they had plenty of opportunities to run up the score and did not.......

Edited by Sportster

There are generally 2 situations when the score gets out of hand.

1. The subs are just that much better than the other teams starters. I saw a game where one team trounced the other one and their starters did not start the game and only played 2 minutes in the second half. The losing coach complained. In that scenario, show him what he missed the next time around.

2. Coach leaves his starters in to make a point or for a pay back. A well known coach around here left a girl in to set the school's single game scoring record and blew out a district foe by 70. Even though it was probably 10 years ago, the other team doesn't forget. They've had a couple of sweet paybacks!

I think there are instance where a mercy rule should be invoked before someone gets hurt. Personally, I'd take offense if the other team went into a stall. They don't need to press, but they should run some semblance of an offense. Turn the scoreboard off if it's that ugly and just let 'em play.

I never played on a team that ran up the score but I have been on the other team that was get there butts kicked. :D Our coach told us to run 4 corners just to make sure they did not just score at will. Yes is was a boring game but it help keep the scoring down. I'm sorry to see this happen but someone told me once that they have a score board for a reason. Not just to light up like a Christmas tree. :D

Whoever this was that got your score run up on keep your heads up and work hard at practice so you can see it does not happen agian. thumb

I am well aware that even with substitute players in the game the lead may still increse somewhat. However, to still be in a FULL COURT PRESS is the work of a MORON

I further understand that a coach sometimes has to push up the score a little for retribution of a previous game....... However, I have never known a GOOD COACH to still be in a full court press in the forth quarter winning by 30-50 points.

I agree with both sides--No press when game is in hand--but that is subject to interpretation when a game is over. When your reserves get in a game they need to play hard--they may not get to play much and this is their only chance, and their parents and even the starters want them to do well and score when they get the chance. Some coaches go with starters way too long IMO in a blowout game, and yes the pressing up by 30 is ridiculous. I also think it is more of an insult to toy with an opponent and intentionally not score lor let the other team score than to run up the score.

So, there I'm squarely in the middle.