Weekly Carter County Top 5

coachh17

Until Elizabethton and Unaka dominate teams for 4 quarters and quit having intensity breakdowns neither deserve a ranking.

I feel both teams have the players to beat teams 15-20 points every time they play but  fitness (both mentally and physically) is lacking for both teams as they do just enough to get by. If things don't change, a lapse in either will cost them a chance at the State Championship.

Both teams PICK-UP and KEEP YOUR INTENSITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

825482336[/snapback]

Having seen Elizabethton play, I agree with you. I don't think they are getting the leadership they need out of Baughman. She needs to lead the group in self disipline and hustle. In the two games I've seen, she has been lack luster at best. She has to step up and lead the way every game. Not that she has to put up 20-25 every game, but be a leader. They play as if they are supposed to win, not like they had better put out in order to win. Bottom line..... MORE HUSTLE!! Excellant team, but could be sooooo much better if the effort were given no matter who the opponent. ;)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O.K. Punk Boy, no doubt this team tends to play to the level of the competition and then does just enough to win. You are not going to have outstanding performances every game in a 30 game season. We are continually working on the effort and intensity thing, and obviously hope to be peaking by tourney time. If we ever had a home game you could come see us play. Hope the family is doing well.

O.K. Punk Boy, no doubt this team tends to play to the level of the competition and then does just enough to win. You are not going to have outstanding performances every game in a 30 game season. We are continually working on the effort and intensity thing, and obviously hope to be peaking by tourney time. If we ever had a home game you could come see us play. Hope the family is doing well.

825483923[/snapback]

As I am learning, free time is a thing of the past. However, when Unaka is far away and you guys are home, I'll make every attempt to see the Mighty 'Clones play. Until then keep pushing them toward their goal.

Quoting GLee:

Having seen Elizabethton play, I agree with you. I don't think they are getting the leadership they need out of Baughman. She needs to lead the group in self disipline and hustle. In the two games I've seen, she has been lack luster at best. She has to step up and lead the way every game. Not that she has to put up 20-25 every game, but be a leader. They play as if they are supposed to win, not like they had better put out in order to win. Bottom line..... MORE HUSTLE!! Excellant team, but could be sooooo much better if the effort were given no matter who the opponent.

I can't speak for coach17 but I have to say a couple things about Rikki Baughman (although I really don't like her :D ). And GLee, this is NOT addressed to you.

I kept hearing "Rikki," "Rikki" until I thought I'd go crazy. Last season I went to watch the gal (at home against Johnson County) that all the fuss was about. I wasn't so impressed at first. I'm certainly no a talent scout, but I've watched Rikki several times since that first game.

To be fair I've tried to watch her all over the court: away from the ball on offense, and defensively. Many of her points come via layups and free-throws; there's a very good reason why. Rikki scores by positioning, which is 90% of the battle beneath the basket - especially when you're 5'10" - still not very tall in for a scorer/shot-blocker in today's game).

And now for my "dead-horse" argument. The Lady Cyclones lost their starting point guard, wing and a six-footer (Forbes) to graduation. We all know that Valneesha is an outstanding talent, but point guards aren't made over-night. And even though several Cyclone fans feel that they're ahead of last season's pace, I respectfully disagree. As Valneesha, Cameron and Victoria gain experience, I think we'll see improvement. As to Rikki, well, She's INCREDIBLE.

Krich, I just made an "A" in my Comp. class

now I'm so happy and thrilled

I can get back on here and show my ####

And we all know that Baughman is great

the leader of the Cyclones

she will determine their fate

the Landers are playing hard

as the role of underdog

they may buy a state tourney card

but for now they will focus on the Ranger

You know ole buddy it won't be long

you'll be seeing that blue and gold Ford Ranger. :D

And now for my "dead-horse" argument. The Lady Cyclones lost their starting point guard, wing and a six-footer (Forbes) to graduation. We all know that Valneesha is an outstanding talent, but point guards aren't made over-night. And even though several Cyclone fans feel that they're ahead of last season's pace, I respectfully disagree. As Valneesha, Cameron and Victoria gain experience, I think we'll see improvement. As to Rikki, well, She's INCREDIBLE.

825484609[/snapback]

Yes, they did lose three quality players from last year, but I think they have gained enough young "weapons" to take the place of what they lost ( I know u like that word "weapons" my friend). As a matter of fact, I feel that the team they have this year should be stronger than last year's team and they were a dandy outfit. More talent, but young. The young will grow thru the season, given the chance, and should make an even stronger team by season's end. Again, being stronger at the end is the way it is supposed to be, isn't it? And I'll quote another poster, "9-1 ain't bad".

Good luck to you Rangers this weekend. Sounds like an excellant field.

It seems like forever since I have been on here. So, I need to be brought up to date. Cloudland has already surprised me. I didn't think that they would be doing this good, but what do I know. Storm55, try to be good. Don't make me get DB after ya! When is the Unaka/Cloudland game? I have yet to go to one of the high school's basketball games, been spending too much time at the Junior High games. Good luck to Unaka and Cloudland.

First off: We've truly missed you, Meow. ;)

I can't win the "depth" argument online, that's for sure.

And I fear that that one will "play" itself out on the court.

It's sort of like the "pre-season" top five.

We had a team, Unaka, with all returning starters,and for

that matter, all returning players. And of course the trip to

Murfreesboro.

We had EHS with three returning starters, and with the loss

of FOUR graduates.

The pollster (or EHS coach, duhhh) Decided, that based on

something or other, that EHS is simply the number one team

in our County; and in lock-step, so many Cyclones fans

concurred. Fine and Very Well, Thank You very much.

HOWEVER....

I just don't think we've seen the promised "completeness"

that will be VITAL to the EHS cause. Yes, both teams need

improvement; but at least with the Lady Rangers we can

clearly see what's taking place: Chambers is using his bench,

all of it.

Conversely, We're finally starting to read the whispered skepticism

concerning fatigue, the starters playing a lot of minutes, etc.

GOOD LUCK, CYCLONES! Bring on Bush and Treadway;

You're ABSOLUTELY going to need them.

Krich, I guess people get a little touchy when any rankings of any kind come out. Everyone has opionions and it is healthy to "chat" of them in the correct manner. Sooooooooo......... Several rank Unaka as #1 and several rank Betsy as #1. Behind them are three teams that could beat you on the right night. Sounds like ladies basketball is well in Carter County (including Elizabethton). What else could we ask for as far as quality up here in the "sticks". Personally, I kind of like it. :angry:

As I have written in the past, I like the quality of the youth at Elizabethton and the contribution they make jointly. I'll still stand by that eventhough I'm sure they are in for some rough times soon.

Good luck to you guys.......

Cyclone JV play in a tournament next week at Kingsport DB, commencing with Jefferson Co. on Monday, then Tenn High on Tuesday, both at 2 pm. Other pool play has the two DBs (Daniel Boone and Dobyns Bennett) and Gate City. Single elimination play starts tuesday night and concludes wednesday.

Should be a good opportunity to see some of that cyclone youth on display (although the two sophomore varsity starters obviously dont play JV).

Edited by coaches_corner