Powell vs A.C. tonight

sideburnz1

Predictions?

825481932[/snapback]

This is usually a very good game. These two schools split two meetings last year. Powell won 60-56 at home. AC won 62-53 at home. So far this year, I see that AC is 5-1 with an unreported score against Alcoa. If they won that game, that would be a good win. The loss was by 10 to Halls. Powell is 5-4 and coming off a nice 16 point road win at Campbell County.

I think that Powell will almost undoubtedly have the advantage in size this year over AC. Having said that, it always seems as though AC has some really good shooters.

I think that Powell will win tonight by 5 to 10 points. All of Powell's losses this year have been to strong AAA teams (Cleveland, Farragut, Clinton, Oak Ridge) and all except for the Cleveland game were very close games that Powell could have won. I think this team is about ready to take off and go on a bit of a run. Look for Sophomore Chris Connor to continue to improve his play as he is beginning to assert himself more offensively. Smith and Ward are probably the best 1-2 punch in the Knoxville area as far as post players are concerned, and Matt Hargis is becoming one of the best point guards in the area.

This game will be close no matter what because AC always plays with tremendous heart, especially at home. Prediction:

Powell 68

Anderson County 60

AC/Alcoa was rescheduled for this Thursday b/c of football.....This is always a good matchup for both teams....Powell usually dominates the paint while AC usually has the advantage on the perimeter......AC needs to be hot tonight from 3, they hit 15 3's the other night against a very big Lenoir City team. They also need to get some early fouls on Smith or Ward......If Connor or one of the guards get hot from outside it for Powell it could be the difference in the game.....Laverdiere and Hargis will match two of the better point guards in the area.....Should be a great game either way......

Does A.C. have some big skinny senior post player, like 6'9'' or somethin, who is a foreign exchange student

825482062[/snapback]

Yea, he's got to be close to 6'11 though. The problem is he won't be offically enrolled until spring semester. I think he is from Ukraine or Kazystan? or something. Played on their jr national team some. Apparently he has been playing competatively since he was 4yr. I don't know how much he can help AC though because he can only shoot a hoook shot or a dunk! Handles the ball well though. :lol:

Yea, he's got to be close to 6'11 though.  The problem is he won't be offically enrolled until spring semester.  I think he is from Ukraine or Kazystan? or something.  Played on their jr national team some.  Apparently he has been playing competatively since he was 4yr.  I don't know how much he can help AC though because he can only shoot a hoook shot or a dunk!  Handles the ball well though.  :lol:

825482254[/snapback]

Chill:

Why did football have anything to do with that? (Alcoa/AC game). I think that the game was scheduled for a Tuesday night -- 11/30. Are you coming the the game tonight chill?

Chill:

Why did football have anything to do with that? (Alcoa/AC game). I think that the game was scheduled for a Tuesday night -- 11/30. Are you coming the the game tonight chill?

825482445[/snapback]

Powell won 61-59 in a very hard fought ball game.

Anderson County had a 12 point lead at half, after Ward and Smith sat out for most of the first half in foul trouble. The lead slowly decreased as Powell turned up the full court pressure in the third and fourth quarters. Chris Connor hit two huge threes for Powell in the last three minutes, including the shot that got the Panthers into the lead for the first time since the first quarter. Ben Ward hit a fifteen footer to break the tie with about five seconds left. Great comeback win for Powell. Hopefully, they can build on this momentum as I think Anderson County has a really good team. Matt Mott hit at least six three pointers for Anderson County. That kid can flat out shoot.

Edited by mocs30

Michael Mott played huge for AC with 23 points and 6 threes. AC had their shot at it with three clean looks in the last minute to add to the lead, but the shots didn't drop and Powell never quit. Connor's 2 threes were huge considering he had airballed his previous two shots from the same spot....Big shots....Powell has a very nice team, and when they get good guard play they can beat anyone in East TN......Lee Smith is a beast.....great high school game.....

I haven't heard about a Ukrainian post player coming to Anderson County.  If it's true it'll really help Anderson County out.  If anyone has anymore information on this please post it.

825483566[/snapback]

I did not see anyone at the game who fit that description. I know that Austin-East has a foreign player who appears to be European that transferred in. I understand that he is pretty good.

Michael Mott played huge for AC with 23 points and 6 threes. AC had their shot at it with three clean looks in the last minute to add to the lead, but the shots didn't drop and Powell never quit. Connor's 2 threes were huge considering he had airballed his previous two shots from the same spot....Big shots....Powell has a very nice team, and when they get good guard play they can beat anyone in East TN......Lee Smith is a beast.....great high school game.....

825483517[/snapback]

Thanks for the kind words regarding Powell. Hargis and Connor are just sophomores, but they both made some big plays last night. It is hard to believe, but Chris is actually a better ball player at this point in his life than either of his brothers, Isaac or Dexter. If he continues to grow and get into a little better physical condition, he could be a major Division I player.