Mt. Juliet 51, Wilson Central 45

MtJBears

The doors opened at 5:30 and the gym was full before 6.

What a crowd. What a atmosphere.

Two rivals within 15 miles of each other.

You couldn't ask for more.

Wilson Central played their hearts out. It was a great game. This is without a doubt the toughiest opponent for Mt. Juliet.

Mt. Juliet went out by 10 points in the first quarter and generally it stayed that way for most of the game. WC did cut the margin to 3 with 2 minutes left but the Lady Bears kept their composer and hit their FT's down the stretch. Alysha Clark had 21 points and 18 rebounds. Paige McFarlin had 13 points and hit some big shots. Seems like I remember someone saying they'd give her anything but layups. Well she hit some key shots around the freethrow line. Kelly Gassie had 12 points but it seemed like more. Tierney Jenkins had 20 for WC.

The fans were hanging from the rafters. People were standing everywhere. Sitting in the walkways and sitting in peoples laps. This is what High School basketball is all about. The community really supports their teams and should be commented for their support. Now we have to wait till Feb. 8th for the rematch.

Way to go Lady Bears....... I'm proud of YOU

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wilson missed enough FT's to win the game:however, MJ's slow down style let Wilson hang around (even without WC's other post player).

MJ has depth (they lose very little talent with their first 2 or 3 off the bench) but, shortening the game doesn't allow them to utilized it completely.

Even so, MJ is by far the best team in TN.

The crowd was huge. The firemarshal would have shut it down.

51-45 Mt. Juliet

I was impressed how close they kept this game even without their star post center and girl that would normally come off the bench for Williams when shes hurt. But their free throw shooting was HORRIBLE. They had to have shot below 50% and they shot over 20 free throws. They usually are a very good free throw shooting team, so seeing this at the time it happened was somewhat disappointing. If they make their free throws, WCHS has a legitimate shot of winning.

MJHS showed why their # 1 theirselves. When they needed to make shots, Alsyha and Paige took over. In the fourth quarter, they were almost money at the free throw line, making it very hard for WCHS to come back. It was 43-40 and WCHS's ball with about 90 seconds to go in the game, but WCHS just seemed out of it, missed tons of free throws, etc. Really, WCHS did a great job taking Paige and Clark out of the game and their post play, and MTJ just struggled from the 3 point line. MJHS went a span of 10 minutes when they only scored 6 points, and most of that was on free throws. Very uncharacteristic for them.

Overall, I can't wait for the rematch in Feburary in WCHS. Thankfully WCHS gym is about twice the size of MJHS.

WilsonCentralDogg....You can't beat the small gym atmosphere. I thought it was great. Folks "hanging off the rafters", 200-300 folks waiting outside to get in. That was the epitomy of high school basketball rivalry. Much better than a sterile gym. :):)

Edited by flngrvy

hey flngrvy....ill take the WC gym any day you can actually get a little AC in threre ha ha.....but back to the game i have never been more proud of our girls i mean wow they shouldnt have been that close...i mean Williams was out one of there best players.....Lauren Farmer was out thier first player off the bench....I was really impressed by Jenkins i thought she stepped it up and played the best game of her carreer....Gassie did her normal stuff always a plaus....and O'connel and Hall hit countlessgood shoots.....MJ hit there free throws and played a good game cant wait till the remach and the firemarshal did stop letting people in at a certain point

Ive got a question for everyone at the game...there was one play when clark kinda went baseline and gassie was there for the charge but the didnt call it i thought it was one im not complaining but i just want to see what yall think it looked pretty clear to me

825521445[/snapback]

I know the play your talking about. AND my comments to the people sitting around me was " Good try Gassie, but it ain't goin work tonite ". It was just that, a good acting job and the ref didn't fall for it.

I would say this much. This was most likely the best game Wilson Central has played all year long. I'd say if they had played like this all year they wouldn't have lost those 3 one point games. Just my opinion. What do you think?

In closing I will say this Mt. Juliet from here on out will get the best shot from every team they play. The fact they are rated in the USA Today Top 25 and all the publicity they are receiving will give every team they play all the motivation they need. AND I'm sure each opponent will play their best game of the year. This is the price you have to pay being highly rated and each team is gunning for you.