Knoxville Halls 55 Powell 53

mocs30

Halls defeated Powell tonight 55-53 in what can only be described as an electrifying game. Powell took command in the second quarter, with seldom used Migi King hitting a three at the buzzer to give Powell a 29-16 lead at the break. Powell held Cameron Sharpe to 2 points in the first half and clearly had him frustrated.

Halls opened the second half by slowly chipping away at the lead, trailing 44-40 after 3. They effectively neutralized Lee Smith, who only had 10 ppoints on the night. Smith also missed a dunk that would ultimately be the difference in the game. As bad a first half as Sharpe had, he was just brilliant in the second half. He moves unbelieveably well in traffic and also shoots it pretty well. He hit two free throws near the end of the game that gave the Red Devils the lead. Halls forced Matt Hargis to shoot a desperation shot from the lane near the buzzer. Powell got the rebound, but could not get off a shot before the buzzer.

The win for Halls is all the more impressive considering that Powell's gym has not been that packed in probably 15 years. I've never seen so many people in there. It was just buzzing.

Halls is a team that played with a lot of heart. You could just tell how bad they wanted to win tonight. They wanted it more than Powell. Having said that, I do not think that the best team won tonight. Powell's players were devastated after the game. Being in the locker room and listening to Halls celebrate should do wonders for Powell's motivation.

But this takes nothing away from Halls. It's their night and they deserve all the credit. Sharpe will be a Division I player if he grows just a little and works hard. He's a splendid player. It was eye-opening to watch him in the second half.

Looking forward to round 2 in three weeks.

excellent post and good sportsmanship from you mocs30. i respect you alot for coming up 2 me and introducing yourself in all that madness. good game by both teams. but i do believe the best team won tonight

825520034[/snapback]

LOL, no problem PTP10. You played a good game too. You did a nice job on Hargis.

But what was up with that pink outfit? :)