What's the deal at Powell?

sneakypete

Since you brought it up, when was the last time that powell was playing for 1st or 2nd in the region? And, if I recall, powell was 4-6 in 2003. I'm not trying to down powell. I'm just sticking up for my team. And, no, I wasn't a part of the Halls state championsip team. I was a part of the more "recent" success.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since you brought it up, when was the last time that powell was playing for 1st or 2nd in the region?  And, if I recall, powell was 4-6 in 2003.  I'm not trying to down powell.  I'm just sticking up for my team.  And, no, I wasn't a part of the Halls state championsip team.  I was a part of the more "recent" success.

825541474[/snapback]

When was the last time that Powell was playing for first or second in the region? Try the last 4 years.

The Powell/Central game has been for second place over the last 4 years. The winner (Powell in 01 and Central in 02, 03, and 04) has finished second in the region, while the loser of that game has gone on the road as the number 3 seed from the region.

Even with a 4-6 regular season record in 2003, Powell and Central were playing for second. Powell was 3-2 in region play coming into that game, while Central was 4-1. Had Powell won, the two would have been tied at 4-2, but Powell would have won the head to head. As it turned out, Central won the game with that great second half comeback and was second. If you'll remember, Halls needed only to beat Carter in the final game of the year to get inthe playoffs and finish third, but they lost the game and that put West in, also at 3-3, and put Halls out of the playoffs. Powell was the three seed because they defeated West head to head in 2003. Halls finished 2-4 in region play that year and stayed home.

Next question, please.

Edited by HTV

When was the last time that Powell was playing for first or second in the region? Try the last 4 years.

The Powell/Central game has been for second place over the last 4 years.  The winner (Powell in 01 and Central in 02, 03, and 04) has finished second in the region, while the loser of that game has gone on the road as the number 3 seed from the region.

Even with a 4-6 regular season record in 2003, Powell and Central were playing for second.  Powell was 3-2 in region play coming into that game, while Central was 4-1.  Had Powell won, the two would have been tied at 4-2, but Powell would have won the head to head. As it turned out, Central won the game with that great second half comeback and was second.  If you'll remember, Halls needed only to beat Carter in the final game of the year to get inthe playoffs and finish third, but they lost the game and that put West in, also at 3-3, and put Halls out of the playoffs.  Powell was the three seed because they defeated West head to head in 2003.  Halls finished 2-4 in region play that year and stayed home. 

Next question, please.

825541527[/snapback]

Ahhhh, all those secong, third and fourth place finishes....man, bask in the glow of that mediocrity!! C'mon guys!!

Ok, Larry has had a lil success. Not nearly nearly enuff with the talent he has had!! Half of Powell's and half of Central's talent. Let's be real...that's the truth. I don't care what you think. Do you know what Ted Wilson or George Quarles would have done with that talent at Powell?! Huh!! They would have won 2 championships by now!!

Are you really so happy to get him back?!! Especially when theirs guys like Darryl Smith and Benny Monroe lurking around out there. I am a Rebel fan 1st and a Panther fan distant second. How could you possibly settle for what you've had with the talent that's over there....

Maybe I'm being too tough on ole Larry. :lol:

Ahhhh, all those secong, third and fourth place finishes....man, bask in the glow of that mediocrity!!  C'mon guys!! 

Ok, Larry has had a lil success.  Not nearly nearly enuff with the talent he has had!!  Half of Powell's and half of Central's talent.  Let's be real...that's the truth.  I don't care what you think. Do you know what Ted Wilson or George Quarles would have done with that talent at Powell?!  Huh!!  They would have won 2 championships by now!!

Are you really so happy to get him back?!!  Especially when theirs guys like Darryl Smith and Benny Monroe lurking around out there.  I am a Rebel fan 1st and a Panther fan distant second.  How could you possibly settle for what you've had with the talent that's over there....

Maybe I'm being too tough on ole Larry. :D

825542061[/snapback]

You know, Moyers, there are a lot of good Maryville people that I know, but you aren't one of them. You seem to feel the need to stick your nose in every single thread involving schools from 3-4A, no matter what the subject matter is.

I know George Quarles well, and respect him. However, that doesn't mean I would trade Larry Stephens for him. Stephens is the best coach for Powell - period.

Yes, we want to keep him, and when I want your input i'll ask. You don't have a clue.

Leonard--you brought up some interesting points in your KIL posts. That would certainly be an interesting thread in itself. There seems to be a lot of shifting in the football waters in Knox Co.

Coach Stephans is a good man and representative for the Powell community. I really hope things work out. Please keep us posted.

Robpride--sorry I missed you this week. I'm still trying to figure out the PM/chat stuff. I'll be around most of the day, although my honey-do list is long.

If Stephens comes back he has obviously whinned and got his way about something. Why else would ANYONE resign, have a big write up in the paper complete with picture, go into great detail as to how serving on the County Commission has not interfered at all with his Coaching duties, that it is just "time" to walk away, and then do a complete flip flop and come back? Clark Duncan was one of the classiest coaches I have ever seen. Not a big fan of mouthy Stephens. He whinned constantly during the Maryville games, and even told our coaches after the game (regular season) that we had had it given to us. I talked to a couple of the officials from that game and they said Stephens started calling them "homers" shortly after the coin toss, and continued the entire game. I may be way off base although perception is often reality. I have nothing against Powell. Just seems like in Stephens short tenure as Head man his panties are constantly in a wad about something. I know you Powell folks will blast me for ths opinion but just keep one reality check in mind. No one is trying to hire him away from you. He threatened to take his ball and go home. Is he really a legend already?

If Stephens comes back he has obviously whinned and got his way about something. Why else would ANYONE resign, have a big write up in the paper complete with picture, go into great detail as to how serving on the County Commission has not interfered at all with his Coaching duties, that it is just "time" to walk away,  and then do a complete flip flop and come back? Clark Duncan was one of the classiest coaches I have ever seen. Not a big fan of mouthy Stephens. He whinned constantly during the Maryville games, and even told our coaches after the game (regular season) that we had had it given to us. I talked to a couple of the officials from that game and they said Stephens started calling them "homers" shortly after the coin toss, and continued the entire game.  I may be way off base although perception is often reality. I have nothing against Powell. Just seems like in Stephens short tenure as Head man his panties are constantly in a wad about something. I know you Powell folks will blast me for ths opinion but just keep one reality check in mind. No one is trying to hire him away from you. He threatened to take his ball and go home. Is he really a legend already?

825542537[/snapback]

No, i'm not going to blast you. You simply don't have a clue of what you are talking about.

I'm not surprised you talked with the officials after the regular season game. They were all from Blount County. They deserved to be blasted. They were awful, but they were awful both ways.

Nobody from Powell told the Maryville coaches that Maryville had the game given to him. That's a flat out lie.

You can have him HTV. You can keep your mediocrity and your cry baby coach. Which is worse for you...I have an opinion or that I'm ALSO a Panther fan? I know more than you think. My brother attended Powell and I still have good friends out there. I'd like, for them, to see the talent at Powell used and not squandered.

I'm realistic buddy. You'll get my opinion when I feel like giving it by the way. This is an open forum. Y'all never hesitate to give your opinions on Maryville threads. Whew!! CoachT.com....gotta love it man!! :D:D

When we play Powell in Knoxville next year will all the officials not be from Knoxville? Just curious. I honestly don't remember everything about that game. What I do remember is with all the success we have had to some it usually always comes down to tuition students or officiating on our home field. I do remember there was a fumble by Powell that was disputed, and this official said he was right on top of it and the player's knee had not hit. Evidently there is rule now that time out's called by a coach has to be the head coach. A Powell assistant kept trying to call a time out and finally the head coach did and they were upset over that. I know this official well and can vouch for his character. But since you don't know me I know that does not give you much to go on so I will leave it at that. The comment after the game came from my nephew who plays for Maryville and he was told by a coach. Can't stake my life on it because I was not there. But I assume neither were you. I know my nephew is not a liar though. In terms of your defense of Coach Stephens you are right I have no idea what I am talking about, and your support of him I am sure is well placed. But at some point in time in the recent past he decided his heart was not into it. That would cause me at least a bit of conern. Thanks for not blasting though.