Dont Post Stats Dont Coach

JKennedy250

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nothing good can come from posting stats. basketball is a team game. the only stat that means anything is the final score. everyone has a role to play, not all those roles produce "stats".

nobody needs the scorer who keeps shooting in the face of double teams, when someone else is open. nobody needs the shooter who jacks a 3 with a 1 point lead and 50 seconds left, just because soemone else has more 3's that night.

personal stats are worthless. it is what you do for your team that counts.

i agree lazarus! it does nothing but hurt the team. then, you've got guys who will intentionally pass on open shots to try and get an assist to "keep their average up," or some guys who will shoot no matter what because they MUST score at least twenty. The parents get ridiculous about it, and so do the players.

all that aside, it's obvious that kennedy has never been a coach. you work 14-18 hour days for little to nothing in the way of pay. you don't coach to do statistics at the end of the day. you coach to teach young men or women the game, to teach them about life, and hopefully to give them the confidence to go out into the world and make something of themselves. if you want statistics, hire a statistician, not a coach.

nothing good can come from posting stats. basketball is a team game. the only stat that means anything is the final score. everyone has a role to play, not all those roles produce "stats".

nobody needs the scorer who keeps shooting in the face of double teams, when someone else is open. nobody needs the shooter who jacks a 3 with a 1 point lead and 50 seconds left, just because soemone else has more 3's that night.

personal stats are worthless. it is what you do for your team that counts.

825530205[/snapback]

Good statement lazarus.

I say if a coach cant post stats then they should not be coaching. I like looking at prepxtra and comparing stats. I feel sorry for the kids who's coaches cant even take the time to post their  stats. What do you think ..coaches and players out there?

My vote is  if you cant take the time , why bother coaching?

825530144[/snapback]

I don't know about posting stats. But I do wish coaches would post rosters and results.

I do play-by-play...and I HATE going to games with a blank roster on one side because I can't find a roster for the opponent of the school I'm covering.

I agree with you, Opperman, getting a correct roster before a game is almost impossible. While I try to use various sources, i.e. coacht, newspapers, & school web sites, there will always be either a number change or player added that throws you off. There even was a team that Page played that had different home & away numbers.

In regards to posting stats, I give the Page parents a report of the previous game at the next game so they can see how their son performed including a season-to-date scoring table. I know that most coaches don't have the time to do this, so I do it for our parents. While basketball is a team sport and the final score is all that matters, some parents are interested in individual stats.

i agree lazarus! it does nothing but hurt the team. then, you've got guys who will intentionally pass on open shots to try and get an assist to "keep their average up," or some guys who will shoot no matter what because they MUST score at least twenty. The parents get ridiculous about it, and so do the players.

all that aside, it's obvious that kennedy has never been a coach. you work 14-18 hour days for little to nothing in the way of pay. you don't coach to do statistics at the end of the day. you coach to teach young men or women the game, to teach them about life, and hopefully to give them the confidence to go out into the world and make something of themselves. if you want statistics, hire a statistician, not a coach.

825530256[/snapback]

Using not posting stats as a way of controlling your team is horsecrap. If you don't have the intestinal fortitude to control players who do not play team ball because of their stats then you do not need to be coaching. As far as the extra work involved that is why most schools have a statistician. If your school or local newspaper will not provide one it is easy to find smart students that are good with stats that would love to have a season pass to all the games.

Stats are a part of any competitive sport, and kids should not have the recognition that they have worked for be taken away because the coach can not control his players without it.

"some parents are interested in individual stats."

now there is the understatement of the year.

i am not intending to criticize coaches who post stats. every coach should run their team the way they see fit. it just doesnt fit with what we are trying to accomplish.

"Using not posting stats as a way of controlling your team is horsecrap. If you don't have the intestinal fortitude to control players who do not play team ball because of their stats then you do not need to be coaching."

i can control my players just fine. but i dont see any need to seek opportunities for them to get off track. are you a coach? or just someone with lots of advice to offer? i get lots of advice, but i usually only listen to people with actual experience.

"kids should not have the recognition that they have worked for be taken away"

the scores are in the newspaper after every game. besides which, their team-mates, opponents, and classmates are well aware of how well they play. if a kid has the ability to make it to the next level, we make sure the people who count know it. college scouts arent reading the news-sentinel stat-list to find out who can play. besides, there arent any asterisks on that list for the player who "could score more, but is a team player".

we have an upperclassman on our team who doesnt see a lot of minutes. but he is at practice every day, with a smile on his face, working his butt off, helping his team get better. at the games, he cheers his team-mates on with genuine enthusiasm. he is always alert for anything he can do, to keep things going the way the coaches want, such as getting everyone moved so that a player that just came out can sit behind the coaches box to get instructions. he is worth his weight in gold.

the guys who score a lot of points, they are already getting plenty of recognition. where is the list for these other guys? they are working just as hard.

Edited by lazarus