District 4-AAA

smalltown

I've seen everyone in this league play except West, and this is the most competitive (in terms of being even) that I've ever seen any league. Here are some thoughts on each team. I think I listed them according to their current district standing:

1. Maryville (1 loss) - no superstars, but they play well together and play good defense...in good shape at the top with only one district loss...seems like they win every close game with the exception of the Heritage game...Brewer is hard to guard.

2. South-Doyle (2 losses) - Logan Johnson is the best player in the league and they are very well prepared to play each night by Coach Smith...they've had a lot of breaks go their way so far, but part of that is because they are well prepared and play hard.

3. Bearden (4 losses)- best guard play in the league, in terms of both shooting and quickness...very dependent on perimeter shooting and they will have a hard time guarding the good post players, but their guards are good enough to overcome it...seem to be peaking at the right time...maybe the team to beat if they are hitting shots and their guards stay out of foul trouble...Tony White is hard to contain.

4. Farragut (4 losses) - best post play in the league with Bosse and Huckens...if their young guards play well, they are hard to handle...young guards mean they are sort of a mystery team, but if they mature over the next month they could even make a run back to sub-state.

5. Heritage (4 losses) - have become a factor this year...seems like all of their games, wins and losses, come down to the wire...they have a lot of guys that are inconsistent (will score 25 one night and 4 the next)...good guard play with Snoderly and Bruce, but nobody seems to play well on the same night...the tournament is at their place...win over Maryville hasn't built momentum, but they seem to be hanging around.

6. William Blount (5 losses) - started out great, then struggled, but looks like they are playing better again...Could easily jump back in the top four if they get on a run...dependent on perimeter shooting, but they usually play very hard and they are used to winning...the team nobody wants to play with a region berth on the line.

7. Sevier County (7 losses) - more talented than their record indicates...close losses against William Blount, South-Doyle, and Heritage...Book is a very good offensive player...enough talent to pull an upset.

8. West (8 losses) - would have some wins if Lateef Michael were eligible at the start of the season...very dangerous because of him and their athleticism...don't shoot the ball well...everyone says they are still playing hard, which is a credit to Coach Petko.

I've seen everyone in this league play except West, and this is the most competitive (in terms of being even) that I've ever seen any league.  Here are some thoughts on each team.  I think I listed them according to their current district standing:

1.  Maryville (1 loss) - no superstars, but they play well together and play good defense...in good shape at the top with only one district loss...seems like they win every close game with the exception of the Heritage game...Brewer is hard to guard.

2.  South-Doyle (2 losses) - Logan Johnson is the best player in the league and they are very well prepared to play each night by Coach Smith...they've had a lot of breaks go their way so far, but part of that is because they are well prepared and play hard.

3.  Bearden (4 losses)- best guard play in the league, in terms of both shooting and quickness...very dependent on perimeter shooting and they will have a hard time guarding the good post players, but their guards are good enough to overcome it...seem to be peaking at the right time...maybe the team to beat if they are hitting shots and their guards stay out of foul trouble...Tony White is hard to contain.

4. Farragut (4 losses) - best post play in the league with Bosse and Huckens...if their young guards play well, they are hard to handle...young guards mean they are sort of a mystery team, but if they mature over the next month they could even make a run back to sub-state.

5.  Heritage (4 losses) - have become a factor this year...seems like all of their games, wins and losses, come down to the wire...they have a lot of guys that are inconsistent (will score 25 one night and 4 the next)...good guard play with Snoderly and Bruce, but nobody seems to play well on the same night...the tournament is at their place...win over Maryville hasn't built momentum, but they seem to be hanging around.

6. William Blount (5 losses) - started out great, then struggled, but looks like they are playing better again...Could easily jump back in the top four if they get on a run...dependent on perimeter shooting, but they usually play very hard and they are used to winning...the team nobody wants to play with a region berth on the line.

7.  Sevier County (7 losses) - more talented than their record indicates...close losses against William Blount, South-Doyle, and Heritage...Book is a very good offensive player...enough talent to pull an upset.

8.  West (8 losses) - would have some wins if Lateef Michael were eligible at the start of the season...very dangerous because of him and their athleticism...don't shoot the ball well...everyone says they are still playing hard, which is a credit to Coach Petko.

825534318[/snapback]

those are some good points. But maryville has one superstar, brewer.

South Doyle's Coach Smith is an excellent coach who always seems to make the right call for the last minute comeback. He uses Logan Johnson and his abilities very well. I think it is hardest to coach a team with one superstar as opposed to teams without. But coach smith does it very well. Also he isnt afraid to play young, inexperienced players. I dont know if u remember a Chad Zurcher, the prepxtra player of the week a few years ago, it was his very first game on the varsity team and he is only a sophmore. Plus, Ryan Holland, a sophmore, starts and contributes alot to the team on defense and is startin to get more points on the board. A major key to being a good coach is to get good play from the bench and consistant play from the players. I strongly believe that great coaching from smith has and will pull the Cherokees through to a sucsessful season and post-season. GO KEES!!!!!!

GREAT rundown on the district.

I go to a game every night and have seen all of district 4 except

William Blount.

I agree with every word esp. Coach Smith as a great coach.

I have said for years that he is one of the best in Knoxville.

with Blevins and Wright.

Would like to see the same type run down for AAA dist. 2 and Dist 3

The AAA dist 3 threads seems to more interested in predicting winners.

Smalltown what is your take on Dist. 3 teams, players and coaching.

Have you seen all of Dist. 3

Have you seen any of Dist. 2

Greeneville

Morristown East

Cherokee

Cocke County

Morristown West

Jefferson County

Listed as of current standings.

Edited by redupset

I've seen everybody in District 3 except Campbell Co. I think Oak Ridge has the best talent and if they gel, they could make a run to Murfeesboro. Halls is dangerous because of Sharp...Karns can be great or average depending on how they shoot the ball...same with Clinton...Central is much improved and Powell looks solid...Again, I haven't seen Campbell County.

I've seen everybody in the IMAC except Cherokee...Greeneville and Morristown East look like the top two, but Jeff County and Morristown East seem to be getting better...Cocke County is athletic and could be dangerous.

Haven't seen anybody in the NE except Science Hill