Here is my ranking of the Top 6 teams in Memphis, TN (regardless of class):

1. Raleigh-Egypt

2. Fairley

3. Ridgeway

4. Hamilton

5. White Station

6. Mitchell

-------------------------------------------------------

#1- RALEIGH EGYPT (AA). New king of Memphis H.S. basketball. Bona Fide title co-favorite (Bolivar).

Strengths: Balanced; outstanding defense (especially vs the 3-pointer); hustles; productive bench, poised with great ball movement; good coaching. The MVP of their team, IMO, is point guard (#1) Maurice Miller, though Kinnard gets the press. Miller is a TEXTBOOK point guard: outstanding court vision and flat-out KNOWS what to do with the basketball--get's everybody involved. He's a downright crisp passer; good shooter; can break down a defense & get to the rack AND finish, via shot or timely pass. Please--Don't EVER turn your head on this guy. You'll get burned (defense) or you'll get your head knocked off (offense)!

Weakness: Few. blocking out; low-post scoring.

#2- FAIRLEY -- (AAA). Every bit as good as R.E, if not a bit better (believe it or not). Still a better TEAM than Hamilton, IMO, despite going 1 win/2 losses vs them....Fairley has ALL the ingredients to bring home the AAA title. Better than last year. Coaching is a major obstacle (though, noteably better than #4 Hamilton's coaching).

Strengths: Lots of talent; balanced; inside-outside scoring; good defense, especially in the post; excellent rebounding, decent bench & good ball movement; point guard can break a press by himself.

Weakness: Coaching. Free throw shooting, perhaps; team hustle. 3-pt defense.

#3- RIDGEWAY -- (AAA). Not as talented or balanced as Fairley. Better half-court offense than Hamilton; Coaching is OK. Great team hustle. Will make some noise @ the 'Boro -- if it can get out of Memphis; Fully capable of beating Jackson N.S. in a Sub-State game.

Strengths: point guard; post-game, team hustle & quickness.

Weakness: plays out of control, a lot. half-court offense.

#4 - HAMILTON -- (AAA) has the talent, size, inside-outside game, scoring, free throws, defense, hustle, speed, team quickness & bench to beat any Tennessee H.S. team. Yes--"ANY!" If they make it to the 'Boro...look out! I would NOT bet against them. Their coaching is HORRIBLE--ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE (It takes a Steven A. Smith of ESPN to sum up Hamilton's coaching....no exaggeration)!

Hamiton is a streaky team, due to its wide-open, run-and-gun style. It loses many close games, due to poor (non-existent) coaching: failure to call the critical, timely "time-outs;" poor clock management; failure to match game situations to available talents, especially in tight ball games; does not know when to slow things down; refuses (inexplicably) to hold the ball for a "last shot." The only apparent "strategy:" I bet I can outscore you!

Advice to opponents: Do NOT get into a run-and-gun game with Hamilton. You will probably lose!

COACHING NOTE: Hamilton blew a 15-pt lead en route to losing to Raleigh Egypt, Saturday night! Hamilton's coaching staff failed to recognize/acknowledge the (OBVIOUS) momentem-turn, towards the end of the 2nd qtr. A time-out would likely have stopped the "bleeding." R.E started getting all the loose ball; scored easy buckets in droves... Hamilton started missing jumpers, turning the ball over, silly mistakes (passer stepping on the out-of-bounds line, when attempting to in-bound the ball after a R.E score), running into each other, giving up wide-open jumpers...just COMPLETELY out of sync!

Funny...fans were behind Hamilton's bench screaming for the coach to call time out, during that 2nd qtr meltdown. Yes--it was THAT obvious! No time-out ever got called. After all the 2nd qtr smoke cleared, Hamilton had gone from 15pts up, to only 2pts up (or actually tied, I believe)...all in a span of about 3 or 4 minutes!

#5 - WHITE STATION -- (AAA). Too one-dimensional, offensively, to make it out of Memphis, let alone win a 4th consecutive AAA championship. W.S. just does not have a good enough TEAM, this year...

#6 - MITCHELL -- 2nd best AA team in Memphis. Young, athletic, run-and-gun, scrappy team. A lot like Hamilton, but not as deep or experienced. Feast-or-famine type team; Really, 1 year away from being a Bona Fide title threat. But... if they make it to the 'Boro, watch out--they're gonna' UPSET some of the so-called "favorite" teams! Write it down.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There you have it: My top 6 Memphis teams. Comments welcome.

--TraderB

Edited by TraderB

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like the rankings, and almost completely agree...

Don't sleep on Fairley... I think they are as good as anyone in the state... They have great Chemistry as well as talent, which is a scary combo... They would be my Memphis #1 right now...

TraderB... sounds like you're pretty familiar with Hamilton. Please tell me about Sr Donald Boone: I am getting conflicting reports on his true posistion, and how good he is... I would love your opinion on this kid...

Don't sleep on Fairley... I think they are as good as anyone in the state... They have great Chemistry as well as talent, which is a scary combo... They would be my Memphis #1 right now...

TraderB... sounds like you're pretty familiar with Hamilton. Please tell me about Sr Donald Boone: I am getting conflicting reports on his true posistion, and how good he is... I would love your opinion on this kid...

825543681[/snapback]

Yea i wanna hear something about Hamilton too. I knew they were a good team but they knocked off the team that i felt was the top AAA team in the state, I think gomab will agree with me on that one, atleast 2nd best. Was it just a sloppy game from Fairley or is Hamilton actually that good?

So, when the regionals end, who's your two teams TraderB that will make it out of Memphis in AAA and AA?

How about A? any good teams?

825543674[/snapback]

Here are my picks, BigPoppa:

AAA: Fairley & Hamilton

I think Ridgeway is a better team than Hamilton, but will not beat Hamilton. Ridgeway will get pulled into a run-n-gun affair with Hamilton, & will lose....These 2 are on track to meet in the City Championship game, BTW.

AA: Raleigh Egypt & Mitchell..... Both are the Cream Of The Crop.

A: (Don't know) I really don't follow any of the single-A teams.

Edited by TraderB

825543681[/snapback]

Gomab2,

Daniel Boone is a 6'2" or 6'3" SHOOTING guard (SG). Yet, his game reminds me of Detroit Piston's PG, Chauncy Billups.

Boone's true strength lies in his versatility--he can simply beat you in many ways. He's the epitome of a player that's difficult to guard. He has good ball-handling and passing skills. He's nimble enough to beat you off the dribble, but strong & explosive enough to get into the lane & finish. He has a smooth jump shot and can pullup and drain one, from anywhere. Yet, he's unselfish enough to make the key pass. He's a rugged player, but has a finesse game, to boot! He plays hard. He won't hesitate to go diving for a loose ball, wherever it might be.

Daniel Boone has the skills to be an outstanding PG or SG, at a major D1 College! Given his height, I'd rather see him develop as a PG.

Quite frankly, I believe that Boone has the package that could be molded into a solid NBA PG, someday! I'm not saying that he WILL make the Pros, one day (after College); he just has that type of POTENTIAL. He must continue to learn and work on his game. It's absolutely imperative, however, that he surrounds himself with right people/coaches.

--TraderB

Yea i wanna hear something about Hamilton too. I knew they were a good team but they knocked off the team that i felt was the top AAA team in the state, I think gomab will agree with me on that one, atleast 2nd best. Was it just a sloppy game from Fairley or is Hamilton actually that good?

825543697[/snapback]

Hamilton won the game because of it's 3-pt shooting. It was not a sloppy game. Hamilton really does have a good team, though not as solid as Fairley, IMO. Fairley's coaching was NON-EXISTENT, down the stretch. It was HORRIBLE--ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE!

I'm not sure of the stats, but it seemed to me that Hamilton must have made at least 10 to 12 3-pointers. Fairley might have made only 2 or 3. Yet, Fairley still had opportunities to win, thanks to it's outstanding rebounding.....NO THANKS to its coaching staff.

It was a 4-pt game, with about 40 seconds left. Fairley had the ball. Instead of the coaches calling time-out to draw up a high-percentage play, the players were permitted to go down and throw up (& missing, of course) 3-pointers, uneccesarily....Same scenario occured with about 20 seconds left (still a 4-pt game). No time out. Not a single time out was EVER called (they DID have some availabe, BTW)...Just more, wild, unsuccessful 3-pt attempts...GAME OVER.

In those last 40-seconds....Why not try to extend the game? Why not play the percentages & insist that the ball go into the post, or try to get something going towards the basket? Get to the foul line... Why permit your kids to settle for long-range jumpers, in that situation? Why not call time-out to set up some sort of strategy, one that gives your team the BEST chance to win the game. Afterall, 4pts down with 40-seconds left is HARDLY what I'd call "desperation, 3-pointer" time!

The poor coaching down the stretch is typical of Fairley's staff. Hamilton's coaching staff is even worse, if you can imagine that! Sadly, this is why, IMO, both of these teams might get beaten by a lesser talented squad, come Sub-State/State tournament time.