avoiding state duals

bdad3

I think any team that passes up the state duals should end their season at that point. It is not fair to the wrestlers for a coach to make them sit at home during the duals tournament. College coaches do show up during state tournaments to see the college prospects wrestle. A team staying at home during such events can not be good for the sport. The argument that teams can use this period to "heal" before the individual tournament also is not really fair to the teams that do participate in the duals tournament. These teams do not get a "healing" period before the individual tournament.

Of course this is just my opnion, for what it is worth. I would like to know what the TSSAA has to say about teams not participating in the Duals.... :lol:

825545039[/snapback]

I'm Only A parent, I'm not the judge, but there must be someone from the TSSAA reading these posts. And I would hope this would raise a few eyebrows, It's to late for this year. But maybe we could some new rules in place,to insure the highest level of compitition @ the state Duals thumb

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm Only A parent, I'm not the judge, but there must be someone from the TSSAA reading these posts. And I would hope this would raise a few eyebrows, It's to late for this year. But maybe we could some new rules in place,to insure the highest level of compitition @ the state Duals thumb

825545321[/snapback]

I'm confused!

Dobber are you saying that you don't think that Karns will be providing the highest level of compitition @ the state?

What would you have in mind that the TSSAA could do, if there was a situation where a coach decided that he didn't want to send his team to the State Dual's?

Not trying to attack you on here just wondering what your state of mind is on this subject?

I'm confused! 

Dobber are you saying that you don't think that Karns will be providing the highest level of compitition @ the state? 

What would you have in mind that the TSSAA could do, if there was a situation where a coach decided that he didn't want to send his team to the State Dual's?

Not trying to attack you on here just wondering what your state of mind is on this subject?

825545401[/snapback]

I'm not taking anything away from the teams that Qualified for the state duals. The thing I worry about, Is that this is the time of the year that the best should face the best. If it dose'nt happen the governing body should take steps to make it happen. It's compitition! Don't put Words in my mouth, Karns is an Excellant team to represent region 2. They put their best out there every match, thats why there #1. Competition! Edited by Dobber

I'm not taking anything away from the teams that Qualified for the state duals. The thing I worry about, Is that this is the time of the year that the best should face the best. If it dose'nt happen the governing body should take steps to make it happen. It's compitition! Don't put Words in my mouth, Karns is an Excellant team to represent region 2. They put their best out there every match, thats why there #1. Competition!

825545435[/snapback]

As I said, I’m not attacking or putting words in your mouth. Just trying to clarify. Still no one has made recommendations on how TSSAA would do that?

I know who folks are referring too on this post but I don't think we would throw away the opportunity to be the Region 2 Dual Champs. I can't understand why folks would think that we would want to win the District duals and not the Region!

We have won the 7 out 9 regional dual championships.

The wrestling gods have not been kind to us, injuries and sickness have had its way with us the last two years. Karns has had a great team all year and I wish them the best of luck. They have worked hard and their coach loves his kids.

As I said, I’m not attacking or putting words in your mouth.  Just trying to clarify.  Still no one has made recommendations on how TSSAA would do that? 

I know who folks are referring too on this post but I don't think we would throw away the opportunity to be the Region 2 Dual Champs.  I can't understand why folks would think that we would want to win the District duals and not the Region!

We have won the 7 out 9 regional dual championships.

The wrestling gods have not been kind to us, injuries and sickness have had its way with us the last two years.  Karns has had a great team all year and I wish them the best of luck. They have worked hard and their coach loves his kids.

825545520[/snapback]

Again, the person who started all of this, said some teams. This to me means more than one. My whole thing is IF!!! this is a trend, it weakens the compition. I think we can both can agree on this. When I respond to these posts, it is not to name names, Either Team or Indvidual Wrestlers! I respond to things that could harm the sport. It is not fair to name indvidual wrestlers, or the teams they wrestle for. Im not referring to anyone, Karns is a good team, and I said before, I am not the expert here, but there are people who can make those changes. Maybe I'm wrong, thumb

I think KJF31 makes a good point. I think the best way to have state duals is after the individual tournament. A lot of states do it this way. The most important tournament of the year is State(individual). If there is an issue of teams or individuals avoiding state duals, then have it after inividuals.

I have seen a lot of kids with legitimate shots get injured or tossed out of state duals ruining any chance of accomplishing their ultimate goal. Also, teams can get more creative with their line-ups. This could lead to a more exciting Dual tournament.

I think KJF31 makes a good point.  I think the best way to have state duals is after the individual tournament.  A lot of states do it this way.  The most important tournament of the year is State(individual).  If there is an issue of teams or individuals avoiding state duals, then have it after inividuals. 

I have seen a lot of kids with legitimate shots get injured or tossed out of state duals ruining any chance of accomplishing their ultimate goal.  Also, teams can get more creative with their line-ups.  This could lead to a more exciting Dual tournament.

825545769[/snapback]

Now that's what I'm talkin about! Vary Positive, See these are the experts I was talking about. thumb

Who is avoiding the Duals?  It seems that the toughest teams out of each region have made it through.  Is there someone we are missing?

825544982[/snapback]

You’re missing one of the teams that have been in the top 10 all year! They were dropped from the top 10 this week.

It looks like the coach has chosen to have a program that produces individual champions instead of a championship team. It looks like their dominance of that region is over.

I started this post because I thought it would make interesting discussion, not to fuel bad feelings between individual programs. Many of the posts have been right on and added some constructive discussion.

I am of the opinion that the team competition in dual meets brings out the best that the sport has to offer. I have seen young men wrestle the best match of their careers spurred by the desire to not let their team down. For some, the greatest moments of their career may come at a dual meet, and it may come from working for one more point or fighting off a pin and those point differences helped their team win. That is the essence of what makes this a great team sport.

One way to encourage the team aspect of this sport is to have more team dual tournaments rather than only individual tournaments. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems that I am seeing more and more of these cropping up.

As to delaying state duals til after the individual tournament, I am not sure. How does this work in states that run that way? Are teams still up for it after the individual tournament?

knoxfar, you are full of s***! I can't believe that you would accuse this team and their coaches of avoiding the state duals. I have talked to these guys on numerous occasions and I promise you a goal of theirs was to make it to the state duals. Half of their team was sick and they had no chance of advancing with that many forfeits. I happen to see them at districts and the guys that wrestled sick looked like they could barely take it anymore. It was a good move for those guys to sit out and get healthy for what really matters, the individaul tournaments. Don't put too much emphasis on this Dual tournament. Some states didn't even have one until the mid-90's. I also feel a teams dominance over a region is based on the number of qualifiers, finalist, and region champions they have every year.

bdad, from the experience I have in some other states, you really find out who the true "teams" are with the state duals after the individuals. For example, you could take the districts top 2. Tuesday after state have your region duals with #1 from each district facing #2 from each district in round 1. Have your state duals on friday and saturday. Give the wrestlers 5lb. growth allowance. The teams that are deep can get creative with their line-ups and then you would have a true "dual" tournament. Yes, teams are up for this! I have seen this work in some strong wrestling states.