Single A Mr. Basketball

jvaughan

I know there is another thread about this already but I figured the name of this one would draw more attention state wide. Everybody is taking care of thier own so I am going to take care of mine.

If I had a vote, Brandon Shane would have mine. He is averaging 21 ppg and almost 12 rpg. Neither one of those is to far off from Doaks or Webb. And unlike one of the two mention he is doing it against some quality teams. Anybody who wants to argue with that, the strength of schedule rankings don't lie. Trenton 14th overall (52.35%)Greenfield 28th overall (50.22%) West Carroll 97th out of 104 in single A (38.53%) Enough said about that.

He was a Mr Basketball finalist last year (since everyone has seemed to forget) averaging 23 ppg and 13 rpg. Sophomore year averaged 25 ppg and 10 rbg. Freshman year averaged 15 ppg and 8 rpg. His 8th grade year he started about 3 games and played in a significant amount of minutes every game after chirstmas scoring 14 (as an 8th grader) in a win against a highly ranked West Carroll.

He has been All-District all three years, Soph. and Jr. years he was the MVP and his Fresh. year he finished 2nd behind some guy named Trey Pearson. (Anybody ever heard of him?) He has been All Region all three years as well. Has been on the Jackson Sun All-West Tenn First team for the past two years. He has been Tenn Sports Writers and AP All-state teams the past two years and made the State Tournament team his Soph. year. He broke Greenfield's all time scoring record about half way through January and has sinced past the 2,000 pt mark and is well over that now.

And it was said on here early in the year that "star power" had a lot to with this award. I think that we will all agree that Micheal Jordan had this "star power". (Not comparing him to MJ, just using him as a point) And one thing he was known for was leading his team to championships. Brandon has led Greenfield to two (Soph and Jr) district championships and one (Fresh)runner-up. He also has led Greenfield to a region championship (Soph)and a runner-up (Jr), two straight sub-state wins, and a State Runner-up. Webb and Doaks have yet to sniff past the region semis. And between the two may have one district championship. (WC last year?) If Brandon don't have this mystical "star power" then I don't know who does.

Also is #4 out of 40-45 students in class, so he is just as good in the class room as he is on the court.

Last I checked, this was high school award and not a where you signed to college contest. The numbers don't lie. If there is anyone in the state that deserves this award, it is this guy.

I can already see it coming so I will go ahead and say it now. I am not "hating" on Doaks or Webb. Both are excellent ball players and if something sounds bad against them, it wasn't meant to be that way.I am just taking care of mine, just like others do with thiers. Sorry this was so long. But what can say, this kid is good. :D

Edited by jvaughan

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Give me a break... R u guys serious. Apparently ya'll havent seen moore co. play basketbal this year. There is a kid named derek reese that runs the point down in moore. He has been incredible everytime i have seen him play. I think he will be a perfect fit for herb Sindeck's squd at N.C State next year after the infamous Julius Hodge leaves for the NBA.

R ya'll a couple cuz u seem to hype "BRANDON SHANE" up???? If I recall u played with "BRANDON SHANE" so where did you play collegiate basketball??

P.S. CHEERLEADING IS NOT A REAL SPORT FOR GUYS :D  thumb

825551811[/snapback]

I don't really know who and frankly don't care, but no we are not a "couple". It is like I said, people are taking care of who they think should be Mr. Basketball. So I am talking up who I think should get it. Yes I did play with Brandon in high school but how does where I played college ball have anything to do with this? Grow up before you reply back to me.

I am grown up I am just sayin if he did all this people r gonna know "BRANDON SHANE" I am not knockin his game I am just sayin to u Feb.& Mar. are where winners emerge so we will see how hw does then, but I am sayin to you calm down just a lil on all the "BRANDON SHANE" hype thumb :unsure:

You made my point for me with the "Feb and Mar are were winners emerge" comment. Shane - 2 district championships & 1 runner up, 1 region championship & 1 runner-up, 2 trips to State with one runner-up. Webb and Doaks combined- 1 district championship. Now you tell me, who has had more success in Feb and Mar? And why don't you cool it a little. I wasn't trying to start anything with this thread, just trying to talk him up a little. If you don't think he should get it, be like west_tenn and just say it. You don't have to try and embarass me with little comments. And you didn't answer my question about why it matters where I went to college.

I'll have to agree with Jvaughn, Shane should be considered heavily. He should have won in it <especially>last year and the year before, but was snubbed twice. If anyone thinks there isn't a bias against single A boys/girls basketball from the West then they are delusional. But on top of all those offensive numbers while being doubled and tripled teamed, he usually plays the role as the shut down man as well while on defense. The one tangible I like the most about him is he is a class act. No trash talking, no strutting, just basketball as usual. I've watched 3 games in which they lost, and he is the same at the end of game as he is if he had won, shakes your hand & tells you good game.

Brandon Shane is a true class act, a great kid, and an outstanding player. He will also be a fantastic player at the next level, wherever he decides to go. He should definitely be considered for a finalist spot. The problem for him is that as good as he is, this year Webb and Doaks are better, and west tn does not have a shot at getting All Three finalists... One will come from Middle tn or Chatt... So though I agree with everything you guys have said, and B.Shane is a fantastic player, I'm afraid to say he is likely to get shut out this year as a finalist...

I agree with gomab, you can forget about Mr. Basketball for Brandon Shane.  Beside the fact that there are 2 better players within 30 miles, Brandon Shane is not even close to the player he was last year or years past.  Playing Shane at point guard hurt Shanes chances of winning Mr. Basketball and also cost Greenfield any chance of going back to the state tournament.  From what I've seen Shane wants to just play outside now and shoot 3's, where he was so good was inside and quickness.  Give it up jvaughn because Doaks and Webb are better

and deserve it this year.

825552168[/snapback]

Like I said just taking care my own like everybody else. If he doesn't get the award then fine. But it won't be because he wasn't advertised as much as others.

I like Brandon Shane and he's good but i dont think he will be a finalist this year. His stats aint as good as Webb or Doakes so they will definitely be 2 of the 3 finalist. Mid/East TN will have someone in there as well, this is the controversy we go through in every class,especially AAA where its clear the 3 top players are from west TN. I'd say the 3rd finalist will be either Bailey or Skogen.

JV where is Shane plannin on goin to school next year?

I don't really know who is looking at him. I haven't asked anyone when I have been home but will see what I can find out when I do go. I think he is good enough to go to a UTM/ Low major type of school and contribute over the course of 4 years but would probably be better and have a immediate impact if he went to a Union/NAIA type of school. Courtney Jones from Dyer County is playing at Union and is having an immediate impact playing lots of minutes off the bench and starting some. I could see Brandon doing the same thing as he is.