STATE AA

Baller_24

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be much more amused by SportsNation's list of players, from West TN, that are better than T. Smith, whom, apparently is just "good"!

LEBRON WHO?

825566962[/snapback]

Its not many. I'd say Reginald Delk and JP Prince since they are ranked ahead of Smith and Thaddeous Young (jr.) will be better next year. I think Willie Kemp is more valuable but Smith is the better athlete and is forced to do more for his team so he has the better numbers. I dont think anyone else from west TN can touch Smith.

Nobody said anything about being tired of hearing about West TN teams.  You guys are talking like the tournament is a done deal.  Need I remind you what happened to years ago when West TN was so stacked...Bolivar and Ridgeway (now AAA) both fell to a sorry little Middle TN team.  Those were supposed to be the best you guys had in AA that year.  Last year, Giles County failed to show up in the Sub-state and as a result they were sitting at home while Southside got waxed by Bolivar.  Bolivar is still the top team in the state in AA until someone proves otherwise in the state championship game...I will admit that; however, the old saying goes..."Anyone can be beat on any given night"!!!  From my understanding, this years Bolivar team likes to slow down the game and keep the socre in the 50's and 60's.  How will they fair when they can't slow a team down and their big men are forced to run the length of the court every time the opposition touches the ball???

825566029[/snapback]

If that is the case with boliver they will have a real problem if they have to face Union City.

you should have read on and you would have seen where i said they are perfectly capable of running the court when they need to.

825567034[/snapback]

i think people have forgotten that until prior to this season bolivars offense has been run and shoot and this is the first time anyone on our team has played this slow down style and they are plenty capable to run the floor cuz they are all good athletes

Guest catfish-hunter
All of them are good enough to beat them, that dont mean they would. I think Raleigh-Egypt, Bolivar, and Mitchell would definitely be the favorite unless an upset occured. Then Haywood would have a good chance as well. Liberty would be a close game and it could go either way. I dont really think Union City could win simply because they dont have anyone with the size to slow down Tyler Smith. Their faithful seem to think the are quick enough to beat anyone but they will see that isnt the case when they face someone like Smith with size and speed, which they will run into when they face either RE or Mitchell in sectionals. They had a great season but i dont see UC making it to state this year. I would take the first 4 i mentioned over Giles County and i think Giles would beat the last 2. Not that this really matters anyway, the only team they need to worry about is Bolivar and Liberty. This may be biased but i think if they play Bolivar they lose and if they play Liberty we will be seeing Giles County at state this year.

825566926[/snapback]

Thanks for the response btowntigers!!! You are 100% correct when you say that "all of them are good enough" to beat Giles County. I do believe that Bolivar would be a bad matchup for Giles County. WHY??? Wayne Chism and Olajuwaun Kemp inside would present huge matchup problems for Giles County on the defensive end of the floor. Offensively, Giles would have to depend on the outside game of Tyler Smith, which has improved, but his inside presence is still what carries them offensively. Raleigh Egypt would also pose huge problems for Giles County. The Pharohs depth would wear anyone down, especially a Giles team that isn't very deep at all. Haywood beat Jackson North Side twice, so they have to be mentioned as a team that could win anywhere. Mitchell, Liberty, and Union City are all outstanding basketball teams that would beat Giles County in their place. However, I do not feel that any of those three basketball teams have what it takes to win in Pulaski. I realize that I am about to catch a bunch of grief from the Mitchell supporters and I will say that you guys are better than Giles County. In order to win in Pulaski, you'd better be ready for a fight like no other (especially after what happened in last year's substate disaster against Jackson South Side).

Guest catfish-hunter
Catfish, would you not agree that the talent is on our bench, it just never reaches the floor?  Too bad they never really get to play.

825567387[/snapback]

That is exactly why I said that Giles isn't very deep. It isn't that they aren't talented, they just have guys who Holt must feel like they aren't quite ready for the BIG TIME just yet.

Agreed, they do have talent, but most sophomores aren't ready to play in a sub-state game against a Bolivar or a Raleigh Egypt. The only player that I can see playing well in this situation is Trice Nelson, who has played well this season. Other than that, the players that have been playing are the ones that need to be out there. Although it is an extremely short bench, the entire team can run and gun for an entire game.

My main concern is that other players look to get open and take shots, rather than freezing up and trying to get it to down low to Tyler for the whole game. This is what happened against Columbia, and we saw what happened. Channing and Tyler are going to score their points, but some major help is going to be needed from the guards in order to do big things!!

LEBRON WHO?

Guest catfish-hunter
Agreed, they do have talent, but most sophomores aren't ready to play in a sub-state game against a Bolivar or a Raleigh Egypt.  The only player that I can see playing well in this situation is Trice Nelson, who has played well this season.  Other than that, the players that have been playing are the ones that need to be out there.  Although it is an extremely short bench, the entire team can run and gun for an entire game.

My main concern is that other players look to get open and take shots, rather than freezing up and trying to get it to down low to Tyler for the whole game.  This is what happened against Columbia, and we saw what happened.  Channing and Tyler are going to score their points, but some major help is going to be needed from the guards in order to do big things!!

LEBRON WHO?

825567493[/snapback]

If a player like Zach Holt could get hot from downtown, I'd like your chances against anyone.

That's exactly who I was talking about! He heated up a few weeks ago, and Giles was winning by 20 and 30 points every night! If he can get hot again over the next few weeks then I see Giles staring down another ring. If he can't get it done, one of the younger players (Z Roberts or Tryce) is going to have to step their game up a notch for Giles to have a chance. Tyler can score 50 points a game, but if the next highest scorer is in single digits (which has been the case this season) it becomes pretty tough to win. I guess we'll have to see who's going to step up this year. Do we not seem to have the same "Who's going to step up?" conversation every year at this time?

LEBRON WHO?

Livingston Academy has a awfully good team this year.  I would watch out for them come later down the road.  20-6 and the 6 losses came by 3A teams besides 2, 1 by AA and 1 by A.  Their a great group of players.!!

825560061[/snapback]

LA will not even make it out of the region tournament the 4th place team in district 8AA would Beat LA