Press Coverage of Regions

M.U.Chang

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This morning's Tennessean has the Region 5 and Region 6 results in the box scores.

However, they have the Region 5 Championship matches listed under Consolations and the Consolations are listed under Championships.

PATHETIC !!!!!! They have had 3 days and still can not get it right.

Edited by patriot135

This morning's Tennessean has the Region 5 and Region 6 results in the box scores.

However, they have the Region 5 Championship matches listed under Consolations and the Consolations are listed under Championships.

PATHETIC !!!!!!  They have had 3 days and still can not get it right.

825566864[/snapback]

Yeah, but the Tennessean did manage to give us, for the second consecutive day, stories about dogs-------------one about Jose Canseco and his steroid expose, the other about the exciting Westminister dog trials. Let's see, how many local high school athletes are involved in those two endeavors.

No one from Nashville is mentioned in the Canseco article. As best I can tell, no dog from Nashville is mentioned in the dog trial article. So why nare they in the paper? Why couldn't that space be used, yesterday or today, for an article on the region results. Its pretty simple. To do that would require someone to actually pick up his phone and call, maybe even leave the office for a visit, to a school/coach, and actually have to think about and write an article. Both the dog stories ( Canseco and the trials) are picked up off the wire service-------------they are what is commonly referred to as "filler", stories off the wire service written by someone else and used to fill spice in your paper so you have a full page. Its easy pickings. No work.

So, yeah, Patriot 135, you are right. The Tennessean is simply PATHETIC!.

As I noted in a post yesterday, I sent my earlier post to the tennessean as a complaint. Here is the response I got:

.........................................................................................................................

We have not covered regional wrestling the past couple of years, but we

have run results. We did not receive the results this year. We will be

happy to run them if we get them.

We made an effort to make wrestling part of our expanded prep coverage

last year by soliciting schedules and rosters from coaches and including

it on our website like we do for football and boys and girls basketball,

which have been hugely successful for us. We also asked for the results

of every match to be called in so we could update our website. The

response was so underwhelming, even with some of the well-known programs

in the city (calling in on average about 1/4 of their matches), that

wrestling was dropped from the website this year.

We covered the state duals in Clarksville a couple of weeks ago, and we

will have a reporter in Chattanooga for the individuals meet.

Bob McClellan

Sports Editor

The Tennessean

..........................................................................................................................

I have a friend who also e-mailed his own complaint to the Tennessean. He e-mailed me the response he got. Surprise! It was the exact same response that I received. In the no effort, no work world of the Tennessean they have even come up with a canned response to our complaints about their coverage. See a complaitn, hit the button-------------cause, frankly my dear, I don't really give a d@#m ( only you really old guys will get that one.

I have sent my own reply to this half-you-know-what response challenging some of his statements. Anyone else who has feelings one way or the other about the statements in this response , feel free to do likewise.

!.

As I noted in a post yesterday, I sent my earlier post to the tennessean as a complaint. Here is the response I got:

.........................................................................................................................

Bob McClellan

Sports Editor

The Tennessean

..........................................................................................................................

A suggestion. If each region could come up with a PR person (a student, a parent or an interested teacher) who would be responsible for contacting each coach and consolidating schedules to be sent to the newspaper. That relieves one complaint the newspaper has. Next complaint will be a little harder to accomplish--call in results. Parents, wrestlers, and school administrators should be on the coaches to get the results in. In today's world there is no excuse for a coach not to get his results in to the newspaper. I am no longer coaching, but when I was, I usually got publicity, both in the newspaper and on TV. I am sure that someitmes reporters got tired of me calling but my school was well publicized.

We have a great sport and by all rights everyone should be interested in these young athletes, but that is not the case. We must sell our sport, find out what the newspaper wants you to do and then do it, if they don't respond then you have every right to complain. The newspapers have something we want, find out how to get get it and plan accordingly. Coaches who are committed will constantly sell their sport. Those who are only looking for a measly paycheck need to look for another job.

How's this for a new angle to get more press from the Tennessean?

Someone suggested that the Tennessean's advertising revenue is more highly regarded than its readership satisfaction. Let's try to get the key Sports Section advertisers to put pressure on the Tennessean.

Anyone want to help arrange a meeting with Nashville's "Gentlemen's Clubs" to see if we can get their support?

!.

Bob McClellan

Sports Editor

The Tennessean

A suggestion. If each region could come up with a PR person (a student, a parent or an interested teacher) who would be responsible for contacting each coach and consolidating schedules to be sent to the newspaper. That relieves one complaint the newspaper has. Next complaint will be a little harder to accomplish--call in results. Parents, wrestlers, and school administrators should be on the coaches to get the results in. In today's world there is no excuse for a coach not to get his results in to the newspaper. I am no longer coaching, but when I was, I usually got publicity, both in the newspaper and on TV. I am sure that someitmes reporters got tired of me calling but my school was well publicized.

We have a great sport and by all rights everyone should be interested in these young athletes, but that is not the case. We must sell our sport, find out what the newspaper wants you to do and then do it, if they don't respond then you have every right to complain. The newspapers have something we want, find out how to get get it and plan accordingly. Coaches who are committed will constantly sell their sport. Those who are only looking for a measly paycheck need to look for another job.

825567042[/snapback]

I have sent them results of the tournaments that I managed, and to no avail, no coverage.

This is what I will do for next season, I am putting this out there now, if the coaches in the Middle Tennessee area will submit me their results, I will make every effort to put those on the Mat Control site. Those of you who know me, know that I will do what is necessary to make this an effective means.

I have also called the Tennessean, and I will continue to call until I talk to a person who knows what they are talking about.

Down here in Memphis we are able to at least e-mail in the results and see them make the paper and to be honest we do get sports coverage of wrestling in what is argueably the biggest basketball city in the state so if they can cover us here then I think they should be able to do it in other cities. I am sure that with all of the time we have to take inputting the results into the weight management system that we could take the extra five minutes to type up our results in an e-mail and send it to the newspapers, and continue to send it in each day until the results are published.

Matter of fact we have had two articles in the last week, one on the drop of of city school wrestling programs (honestly I thought it put us in a bad light as they referred to wrestling as a "country club sport") and one on the Region 8 individual tournament.

Keep on your paper and the reporters, I am sure that eventually somebody out there will realize what it means to the youth to see themselves, or at least their sport, in the paper....

fiscon, that is a geat idea.  I am really impressed with what you do with tournaments and even though I am in East Tennessee, if I were still in the coaching business I would use your services.

825567113[/snapback]

Thanks Jackson, I would love to do some east Tenn tournaments, put me in touch with somebody out there if you would. I will be running the East Tennessee USA Wrestling Classic at Soddy Daisy on March 5th.

I have also thought of surveying the interest that there would be for a Tennessee Wrestling Magazine. I would need some help with this one. Any suggestions let me know.

wrestling@fiscusconsulting.com

TWF use to put out the Tennessee Rumbler for a long time, but due to the lack of reporting and the cost of production it was cut a year or so back. I know my son use to enjoy getting it and reading about what was going on. The key to putting out such a newsletter or magazine is to get the wrestling community to participate in submitting newsworthy information - results, events, etc.

TWF use to put out the Tennessee Rumbler for a long time, but due to the lack of reporting and the cost of production it was cut a year or so back.  I know my son use to enjoy getting it and reading about what was going on.  The key to putting out such a newsletter or magazine is to get the wrestling community to participate in submitting newsworthy information - results, events, etc.

825567402[/snapback]

I know who you are, lets talk about it in one of our many emails. But I was thinking on making it webbased initially.