Gibbs honored at LHS

Eddie

Between games of Tuesday’s Lebanon - Wilson Central doubleheader, the playing surface at Campbell Brandon Gymnasium was named in honor of Hester Gibbs. From now on, the Blue Devils and Devilettes will be playing on the Hester Gibbs Court, in honor of the longtime LHS boys coach and recent TSSAA Hall of Fame inductee.

Gibbs, 67, and a native of Cheatham County, went 500-302 in 28 years as the head basketball coach at Lebanon High. During his tenure at LHS his basketball teams won five district championships, went to the Sub-State five times and made three appearances in the state tournament. He was twice named Mid-State Coach of the Year (1968 and 1972).

All told, Gibbs spent 30 years at Lebanon High prior to retiring in 1991.

A great honor for a great man.

I was at the game tonight and was touched by the outpouring of support for the ol' coach. One of the Central players asked me after the game if Coach Gibbs was still there. I told him no and asked if he knew Coach Gibbs. He answered, "No, but he refereed many of my jr.high games." I asked the player if he had known what a great man Coach Gibbs was and all he had accomplished and he said no. That's why he wanted to see Coach. He wanted to congratulate him. It was neat to see the young man gain an awareness of the history of Blue Devil basketball and Coach Hester Gibbs.

I believe he was truly surprised by the honor. From now on, the Lebanon Blue Devils will play basketball on Hester Gibbs Court. Cool.

Edited by getthatstuffoutahere

I was at the game tonight and was touched by the outpouring of support for the ol' coach.  One of the Central players asked me after the game if Coach Gibbs was still there.  I told him no and asked if he knew Coach Gibbs.  He answered, "No, but he refereed many of my jr.high games."  I asked the player if he had known what a great man Coach Gibbs was and all he had accomplished and he said no.  That's why he wanted to see Coach.  He wanted to congratulate him.  It was neat to see the young man gain an awareness of the history of Blue Devil basketball and Coach Hester Gibbs

I believe he was truly surprised by the honor.  From now on, the Lebanon Blue Devils will play basketball on Hester Gibbs Court.  Cool.

825568528[/snapback]

A very classy move on the part of LHS. Gibbs was a throwback coach who stepped on some toes in his day but won........I think his work as an offical has been his greatest love since retirement......he just likes hanging around the game and the kids.

Edited by ruppsrunt

I was at the game tonight and was touched by the outpouring of support for the ol' coach.  One of the Central players asked me after the game if Coach Gibbs was still there.  I told him no and asked if he knew Coach Gibbs.  He answered, "No, but he refereed many of my jr.high games."  I asked the player if he had known what a great man Coach Gibbs was and all he had accomplished and he said no.  That's why he wanted to see Coach.  He wanted to congratulate him.  It was neat to see the young man gain an awareness of the history of Blue Devil basketball and Coach Hester Gibbs

I believe he was truly surprised by the honor.  From now on, the Lebanon Blue Devils will play basketball on Hester Gibbs Court.  Cool.

825568528[/snapback]

Coach Gibbs was a very hard nosed & competitive coach who always tried to get the maximum out of his players both mentally & physically. It was a great night for Coach Gibbs & I am very proud of him having the floor named in his honor but more so for him making the TSSAA Hall of Fame. He is well deserving of both honors.